smo0ths

Performance tweaks for extra FPS.

525 posts in this topic

Dang thrashed the thread because of one command r.TextureStreaming=True, it allows texture changes, this is alpha there really is nothing but ultraish textures,

atm setting this to medium in some maps will help, low is broken and high flickers textures on other maps and ultra still has a few LOD problems.

Probably will only help out people with low VRAM because of r.Streaming.PoolSize= but hey its all a WIP.

(now that i said this i need to test r.Streaming.PoolSize= and r.Streaming.MipBias= since these are on some default hmmm)

(going out tonight when i get back might have time to work on this)

Should just stream mips. Power of two down. Might have to investiagte how its actually used in ue4. We started this project hack and slash with broken engine. Its quite organized considering. Still work to do!

Dang thrashed the thread because of one command r.TextureStreaming=True, it allows texture changes, this is alpha there really is nothing but ultraish textures,

atm setting this to medium in some maps will help, low is broken and high flickers textures on other maps and ultra still has a few LOD problems.

Probably will only help out people with low VRAM because of r.Streaming.PoolSize= but hey its all a WIP.

(now that i said this i need to test r.Streaming.PoolSize= and r.Streaming.MipBias= since these are on some default hmmm)

(going out tonight when i get back might have time to work on this)

I think the thread is still great smooths don't feel discouraged man, cc's post #47 gives a great visual example of what you covered in some of your earlier post. I personally appreciate the extra leg work you've put in to helping the community so players can have the best possible balance between performance and visual experience for high and low end builds. It helped fine tune my visual experience in game which I feel is great now.

Side Note: It may be helpful for some "like myself for example, hehe" if we had a copy of the original ini file here in the thread that we could simply copy and replace the edited file with so we can revert back to the original setting if they are having issues reversing the steps listed.

Don't be like me and forget to make a back up people! It will save you the trouble in the long run.

rgr @IrOnTaXi (i figured it) lets pray to the engine coding gods...

The game is only 1.79 GB back that up, the engine might reinitiate the file idk slip

My posts were not meant to be discouraging in any way either, think it's a great initiative and I'm glad someone's doing it.

Side Note: It may be helpful for some "like myself for example, hehe" if we had a copy of the original ini file here in the thread that we could simply copy and replace the edited file with so we can revert back to the original setting if they are having issues reversing the steps listed. 

There you go: if you mess up your config and don't feel like redownloading the whole game, you can get the default DefaultEngine.ini from here.

My posts were not meant to be discouraging in any way either, think it's a great initiative and I'm glad someone's doing it.

There you go: if you mess up your config and don't feel like redownloading the whole game, you can get the default DefaultEngine.ini from here.

Nice, I know there will be others who will need it. I know I'll use it because I've been messing around with different values to improve my visual quality and this thread it's not exactly driven toward visual improvements, more towards fps gains, gotta say I works for both if you choose.

That's why you should always do a backup or a simple copy m8

Couldn't agree more, typically I would have made a backup but it was toward the end of my night/morning, thankfully I was able to reverse my issues I was having along with more graphical improvements. The complete thread is worth reading through before making any changes so you can understand what these modification do, smoOths has taken the time to explain in short detail what each and every modification will change... Just pay close attention to details and you shouldn't have any problems that can't be resolved through this thread.

Someone with a 1GB GPU? I have a friend with a HD6850 that would like to play, but he is uncertain that his PC might handle the game.

You couldn't play minecraft with that shit

Really helpful mate...

This has helped me immensely, from sub 20 frames to around 40 on average! Thanks so much!

You couldn't play minecraft with that shit

Oh rly? So how is he playing competitive BF4 and getting 60fps u fokker?

I think I'll wait until this game gets a lot more optimization before spending the cash to upgrade my processor (i5 2500K) which i plan to do but not just yet, i have tried these changes and have seen benefits (fps wise) but not enough to play the alpha on stress test servers.  The 100 man server is eating my CPU alive.

I've noticed an improvement lately, even on Kohat that generally runs terribly for me. 

I've set r.TextureStreaming=False because I couldn't bare the LOD switching/terrain issues.

I've lowered my r.ViewDistanceScale=0.2 and most of my gains are probably thanks to that. I can still see as far as I need, even with the ACOG. Some foliage and such is rendered later (closer to me), doesn't bother me.

Another thing that made a very noticeable difference is that I switched to fullscreen. I used to play borderless to avoid the cursor disappearing bug, but I eventually figured out that my FPS is much lower this way. Also should your cursor disappear on you, there's an easy fix - just press J to open the chat bar and you'll see it again.

And then there's a bunch of other commands I've gathered from various sites. These should set your graphic settings as low as possible, aside from textures that are on a medium level to avoid terrain troubles. Note that if you put them in your config, changing the graphic setting levels in-game won't really do anything. (until you remove them from your file again)

I added all these just in the end of [systemSettings] group, even though these are rendering settings. Doesn't really matter where you put them as far as I can tell.

r.DetailMode 0
r.MotionBlurQuality=0
r.BlurGBuffer=0
r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=0
r.AmbientOcclusionRadiusScale=1.7
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
r.RenderTargetPoolMin=300
r.LensFlareQuality=0
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
r.EyeAdaptationQuality=0
r.BloomQuality=4
r.FastBlurThreshold=0
r.Upscale.Quality=1
r.TonemapperQuality=0
r.LightFunctionQuality=0
r.ShadowQuality=0
r.Shadow.CSM.MaxCascades=1
r.Shadow.MaxResolution=512
r.Shadow.RadiusThreshold=0.06
r.Shadow.DistanceScale=0.6
r.Shadow.CSM.TransitionScale=0
r.Streaming.MipBias=1
r.Streaming.PoolSize=400
r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeDim=24
r.RefractionQuality=0
r.SSR=0
r.SceneColorFormat=3
r.DetailMode=0
r.TranslucencyVolumeBlur=0
r.MaterialQualityLevel=0

I'm not sure how much these are ACTUALLY helping. Some of them don't have an effect if you have texture streaming off like me, but still well worth a try, if you're struggling.

@cc. Yeah i've gone threw them all, a lot of what you posted are defaults on low or dont work at all in DefaultEngine.ini, i would suggest people to just follow what i wrote since i've done the hard work and those settings pasted in there can bug your game.

For the low VRAM i coulnd't get anything to change with MipBias/PoolSize but haven't tried changing them in basescalability.ini and then texture streaming true so you can change them. (changing textures works now)

Is this still applicable for v2?

I don't believe everything is applicable on v2. This could cause your game to not launch. I'll wait for more decisive response from Smooths

Yeah the good thing for you guys with nice rigs EVEN more fps tongue.png

Is there a workaround to get crossfire working? Or a CCC profile that we can use?

I need to find a way to get the gpu to take over and render at its full potential. Right now the game is turning my core clock down. Seems like too much is trying to be handled by cpu (fx 8350)

@Opendome yes works with v2!

FX.MaxCPUParticlesPerEmitter= might be hardcoded server side cause it said in patch notes but it still works on local game.

I saw a +26 fps in local game..

@dmatthewstewart I dont know anything about SLI/crossfire as everyone i know who has it rarely uses both or more cards because of tech issues, anyway one thing you can do is set maximum pre-rendered frames to 1 in your graphics control panel.

I've noticed an improvement lately, even on Kohat that generally runs terribly for me. 

I've set r.TextureStreaming=False because I couldn't bare the LOD switching/terrain issues.

I've lowered my r.ViewDistanceScale=0.2 and most of my gains are probably thanks to that. I can still see as far as I need, even with the ACOG. Some foliage and such is rendered later (closer to me), doesn't bother me.

Another thing that made a very noticeable difference is that I switched to fullscreen. I used to play borderless to avoid the cursor disappearing bug, but I eventually figured out that my FPS is much lower this way. Also should your cursor disappear on you, there's an easy fix - just press J to open the chat bar and you'll see it again.

And then there's a bunch of other commands I've gathered from various sites. These should set your graphic settings as low as possible, aside from textures that are on a medium level to avoid terrain troubles. Note that if you put them in your config, changing the graphic setting levels in-game won't really do anything. (until you remove them from your file again)

I added all these just in the end of [systemSettings] group, even though these are rendering settings. Doesn't really matter where you put them as far as I can tell.

r.DetailMode 0
r.MotionBlurQuality=0
r.BlurGBuffer=0
r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=0
r.AmbientOcclusionRadiusScale=1.7
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
r.RenderTargetPoolMin=300
r.LensFlareQuality=0
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
r.EyeAdaptationQuality=0
r.BloomQuality=4
r.FastBlurThreshold=0
r.Upscale.Quality=1
r.TonemapperQuality=0
r.LightFunctionQuality=0
r.ShadowQuality=0
r.Shadow.CSM.MaxCascades=1
r.Shadow.MaxResolution=512
r.Shadow.RadiusThreshold=0.06
r.Shadow.DistanceScale=0.6
r.Shadow.CSM.TransitionScale=0
r.Streaming.MipBias=1
r.Streaming.PoolSize=400
r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeDim=24
r.RefractionQuality=0
r.SSR=0
r.SceneColorFormat=3
r.DetailMode=0
r.TranslucencyVolumeBlur=0
r.MaterialQualityLevel=0

I'm not sure how much these are ACTUALLY helping. Some of them don't have an effect if you have texture streaming off like me, but still well worth a try, if you're struggling.

Which is the ini. file do I have to configure? I can't find it.

Alpha version 2 I now see increase in changing graphics settings. @1080p I can keep above 60fps just by dropping post process to low and everything else on epic. Before on version one these settings did nothing for me when online only offline showed change..