Usgu

How to download Squad with Torrent

This post is outdated - since Steam Early Access you can no longer download Squad via Torrent.

What is Torrent?
Torrent, or more correctly called "BitTorrent", is a protocol for peer-to-peer file sharing (see Wikipedia for more information). In order to download files with Torrent, you need to use a Torrent client. A large number of Torrent clients exist. Torrent is frequently used on the Internet nowadays, particuarly when downloading large files.

Torrent download normally has the advantage that it is faster and more reliant than a direct download. Instead of downloading from a single source - a server far far away, where all users attempt to download at the same time, you download from peers in your region or with fast network access. You can also download simultaneously from multiple peers. All this is handled automatically by the Torrent client. Of course it assumes that enough seeding is available (see very end of this post on seeding). If no seeding is available, direct download might be faster.

I would recommand either using Deluge (Wikipedia, Homepage for download) or µTorrent (Wikipedia, Homepage for download). Deluge is open-source and entirely adware-free, µTorrent includes ads which you can only remove when you pay for µTorrent. Also, when going through the installation of µTorrent you have to take care not to include the crap it will try to install as well. However, µTorrent is among the most often used clients on the Internet. Decide which Torrent client you want to use and download and install it on your computer.

ComedyInK has written instructions on how to use Deluge here. If you want to use µTorrent, follow the instructions below. All Torrent clients work very similarly though.

Careful, from the Squad Alpha Portal you download only the Torrent configuration file (Wikipedia) for the Torrent client. This file is very small and is used by a Torrent client to start the actual download of the Squad zip file.

How to use µTorrent for downloading Squad?
Start µTorrent. The start screen looks like this. You can start a Torrent download either by providing a Torrent configuration file (click on the plus symbol) or by pointing to a web address (URL) that provides the Torrent configuration (click on the hyperlink symbol).

RD7gzKP.jpg

If you want to download via Torrent configuration file, you need to download the file from the Squad Alpha Portal first and then feed it to µTorrent. If you choose the web address option, enter the link to Squad's Torrent configuration. You can copy & paste the link directly from the Squad Alpha Portal and click OK. The web address option is the easiest and fastest way to download.

NVEyShk.jpg

Confirm the Torrent configuration screen below with OK.

3jCq7Vb.jpg

Download starts. Wait until the download is finished.

OFZ6dYO.jpg

Now you have the Squad zip file downloaded. You find it in your download folder. You can also just double-click the zip file in µTorrent and it will open your download folder. If a warning pops up, click "continue".

zz2OH7N.jpg

Here it is - your downloaded Squad zip file, ready to be installed.

PXNURYc.jpg

On how to install Squad please refer to the Squad manual.

A final notes
To help others from the Squad community to download Squad via Torrent, you should seed your download. Seeding is a term used with Torrents and refers to making your download available to other Torrent users in the Torrent network. Torrent is based on peer-to-peer file sharing. Other Torrent users will download from other Torrent users close to them instead of downloading the files from a central server. All you need to do in order to seed: after you finished the download, let the Torrent client continue running, don't close it. It will automatically start seeding. Please do this also for following days - just start your Turrent client when you PC is running. After a new Squad build was made available, lots of people will be downloading in for the following days. Contribute to the community be providing Torrent seeding. This will help Squadies in your region to download Squad faster than without your help. Thanks.

Active seeding looks like this:

01mx4iZ.jpg

Another great tutorial. I would like your post if it let me so instead take this

efmzgDb.png

so what do you do for the people that will not put uTorrent on there computer are you telling them to go then. I need a direct download from a trusted place not uTorrent .

so what do you do for the people that will not put uTorrent on there computer are you telling them to go then. I need a direct download from a trusted place not uTorrent .

There's a direct link where the torrent link is in the alpha portal. Ahem.

​​

[...] uTorrent and others may have adware bundled in their installers.

I agree, uTorrent doesn't have anything "special" that you would need compared to other Torrent clients, all it has is the fact it WAS a pretty good torrent client once, but turned into advertising, virus-spreading bullshit.

​Infact, it is worse by not being OpenSource, by being bundled with malware and adware, and a lot of tracking functions included compared to other clients.

​If you're ever going to get a torrent client, make sure to get something open-source like qbitTorrent (free, open-source, no malware, no adware, no viruses, no additional bullshit, just clean software), but make sure to download it from the original developer ONLY!

Link: http://www.qbittorrent.org/download.php

I would not recommend utorrent now as it's bloated with unnecessary stuff and utorrent also use your computer to mine bitcoins for them. I would recommend qbittorrent.

1 minute ago, etienz said:

Is the torrent download option still valid given that Steam has an Early Access version now?

No, it's available through Steam to keep GabeN happy.

Hi, I can't register myself on the game anyone know why? they redirect me to this link: prealpha.joinsquad.com But it doesn't work.....

Seriously? This method and link is long outdated. Now all is on Steam.

1 minute ago, leal94 said:

Hi, I can't register myself on the game anyone know why? they redirect me to this link: prealpha.joinsquad.com But it doesn't work.....

boiii that was a looooooooong time ago. You should've received an email in December with a new Steam key! contact someone like @Spectral for further assistance.

7yq7ON.png

Good job, guys. Keep it up. You need to let people know there is this thing called torrents. Not everyone actually know there are torrents and you can actually play a lot of games without these bullshit launchers like uplay, origin etc.

Edited by KulaGGin

9 minutes ago, KulaGGin said:

7yq7ON.png

Good job, guys. Keep it up. You need to let people know there is this thing called torrents. Not everyone actually know there are torrents and you can actually play a lot of games without these bullshit launchers like uplay, origin etc.

Torrents and Piracy is a completely different things. 

22 minutes ago, WarFox89 said:

Torrents and Piracy is a completely different things. 

It's like saying lethal fire guns and murders is a completely different things. Both of them go hand in hand.

Take away lethal guns from the hands of people and murder rate will go down drastically. Give guns to people and murder rate will increase drastically.

And laws won't matter(laws never don't really affect anything). When people don't have anything to eat, they will steal. When there's nothing to steal and eat around, people will start to kill and eat each other, and it wouldn't matter if by law you should be hanged for killing/eating other person.

But torrents is a very good thing. It's like giving a little peace of freedom to people.

Edited by KulaGGin

I NEED HELP MATES!!! after i run the game with the version of torrents it said to me  i need a player account where do i get one?

O.o:(

I NEED HELP MATES!!! after i run the game with the version of torrents it said to me  i need a player account where do i get one?

You install Steam and buy the game.

11 minutes ago, bazzyCrs said:

O.o:(

What did ya say?lol mate,you gotta buy Squad through Steam.... :P