McCracken

FOV needs a change

As it is now, we got a very low fov and its even fisheyed(things are closer to you at each side of the screen than in the middle)

An option to change it in files or a FOV slider in option would be nice :)

Is this somehting being worked on ?

(i know ther is a "workaround" on the forums, but it dosnt work propperly)

Right now the FOV is very wide that is whats causing the fisheye and objects appearing closer on the sides. I would guess somewhere between 70-90

Gunplay would feel much better if fov was always locked to what is it when zoomed in on irons  which I guess is probably around 50-60 fov. Not only does this make the gun play better and feel less disjointed but also helps the overall game because this game suffers the same as Arma. when you crank the fov way up the terrain past a short distance becomes blurry and muddy. it is even worse in Squad as the AA is terrible at this time

Squad would look and play 10 times better with a smaller fov+free look, do away with the shift zoom all together.only zoom should be in scopes or binocs, Use shift only as a way to hold breath/control sway. Make the ads feel tight and not like you are holding the weapon 2 feet away from your body in till you zoom. 

Game looks great in cqb but any distance past 50 meters or so becomes messy, trees start to blob. a lot of this is caused by the bad AA plus wide fov

As it is now, we got a very low fov and its even fisheyed(things are closer to you at each side of the screen than in the middle)

An option to change it in files or a FOV slider in option would be nice :)

Is this somehting being worked on ?

(i know ther is a "workaround" on the forums, but it dosnt work propperly)

Fisheye effect occurs at high FOV rather than low.

I agree an adjustment is needed

Right now the FOV is very wide that is whats causing the fisheye and objects appearing closer on the sides. I would guess somewhere between 70-90

Gunplay would feel much better if fov was always locked to what is it when zoomed in on irons which I guess is probably around 50-60 fov. Not only does this make the gun play better and feel less disjointed but also helps the overall game because this game suffers the same as Arma. when you crank the fov way up the terrain past a short distance becomes blurry and muddy. it is even worse in Squad as the AA is terrible at this time

Squad would look and play 10 times better with a smaller fov+free look, do away with the shift zoom all together.only zoom should be in scopes or binocs, Use shift only as a way to hold breath/control sway. Make the ads feel tight and not like you are holding the weapon 2 feet away from your body in till you zoom.

Game looks great in cqb but any distance past 50 meters or so becomes messy, trees start to blob. a lot of this is caused by the bad AA plus wide fov

Interesting outlook. I think many would argue that the current FOV is too low. Some people play 120 or higher. I find that too high to be honest.

I much prefer clarity over a wide fov, freelook really should be in any serious fps game, even with the fov now they are going to have a very hard time clearing up the blur at 100 - 200 meters out and the bit of fish eye.

A Fov slider would be great and everyone can just play how they like really.

High fov and drawn back camera will always be a problem for a game with maps this size it will cause the blur and muddy textures we see now,cqb it helps as it takes away needing to freelook and check left/right/behind .

Different strokes for different folks- A slider would be excellent. I myself prefer/require a lower FOV-- It lowers my situational awareness, particularly peripherally however I suffer from seizure disorder and for whatever reason, in First Person Shooter games, the lower FOV with less clutter on the edge of my screen/less fish-eye effect triggers me less than a higher FOV. I play anywhere from 50-75 FOV depending on the game whereas some of my friends like to play upwards of 110-120   

Glad to hear it's currently up for discussion. Please consider all ends of the spectrum when discussing this one devs. Slider going from lowest 50 FOV to highest 120 would give everyone exactly what they wish. My two cents :-) 

Different strokes for different folks- A slider would be excellent. I myself prefer/require a lower FOV-- It lowers my situational awareness, particularly peripherally however I suffer from seizure disorder and for whatever reason, in First Person Shooter games, the lower FOV with less clutter on the edge of my screen/less fish-eye effect triggers me less than a higher FOV. I play anywhere from 50-75 FOV depending on the game whereas some of my friends like to play upwards of 110-120   

Glad to hear it's currently up for discussion. Please consider all ends of the spectrum when discussing this one devs. Slider going from lowest 50 FOV to highest 120 would give everyone exactly what they wish. My two cents :-) 

we are definitely bringing that into dicussion.. interesting we have as many low FOV guys as high FOV guys   :)

we are definitely bringing that into dicussion.. interesting we have as many low FOV guys as high FOV guys   :)

http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/4496-squad-fov-for-motion-sicknessnausea/

http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/2686-squad-fov/

Please, PLEASE make a change to allow the FOV to be higher. I love this game so much and I'm so excited, but right now it makes me feel really ill and it'll ruin it for me if nothing is done. I understand you have a lot of opinions to consider but as an individual I have to really beg you to make this change. It'll literally be the difference between me (and many others like me) being able to play the game or not.

A Fov slider would be great and everyone can just play how they like really.

This. I can't stand narrow field of view. And I'm willing to have a bit of fish-eye or a few graphical issues for the purpose of seeing more.

While I was reading this topic, it came to my mind: PR doesn't have a chance of changing FOV but it is far from it being a game breaker. What is so special about PR that even the lack of FOV options still made it so good? 

I mean, there are a lot of other features lacking (lean, for example), but still people play it. 

What they really need to do is do away with the shift zoom for ads and just have it set to a tight up close normal fov. Then add a fov slider that only effects the non ads fov so aiming is the same across the board and nobody is at a disadvantage.

The problem is if  fov for ads changes per the fov  you run like it does in Arma, you are going to be at a huge disadvantage against some one with a 50 -  60 fov in any sort of ranged engagements, Only reason you can get away with it in Arma is because they have the super free zoom whether you are ads or not. 

If they add free look the person running the 50-60 fov will have the advantage and pretty much no disadvantage.

I understand fov effects ppl different ways and agree they should have the slider for the non ads fov but this has to not effect the ads fov what so ever

Another problem in Arma is if you alter the fov it will throw off zeroing of all sights and scopes. also breaks mil dot ranging. Not sure if this would be a problem in Squad or not

Interesting discussion. I didn't play the Battlefront beta, but I saw these screenshots of the extreme ends of the FOV slider from PC Gamer. Does anyone know what the low and max FOV setting was?

I'm just curious as to the numbers to get an idea of the 50 to 120 I see in this thread. The last time I adjusted my FOV was BF:BC2. I think I left it on default in the little I played BF4.

FOV at lowest setting
AEP7pJVAATV_.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

FOV at highest setting
6i59Y3BaBbDS.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

Fov is perfect fo my eyes. Narrow fov and i cant play anymore because narrow cause me nausea in any fps : / so im ok for a slider for other people.

Yeah good pic Desmo that is a good shot of how High fov effects spotting in the distance and graphics, look how far away that center rock formation at the top of the hill looks with a cranked up FOV, all of the formations look smeary and stretched with the high fov and that is with some of the best graphics and AA we have seen to date in a video game. The high fov really makes squad at this stage very blurry and smeary. It should be a choice if someone wishes to play like that but deff should not be the default view.

Everyone is different tho so you should deff be able to adjust to your liking as long as the ads remains at constant fov for everyone.

I believe by default BF4 was about a 60 fov

not sure on Battlefront probably somewhere right around there by the looks of it

Interesting discussion. I didn't play the Battlefront beta, but I saw these screenshots of the extreme ends of the FOV slider from PC Gamer. Does anyone know what the low and max FOV setting was?

I'm just curious as to the numbers to get an idea of the 50 to 120 I see in this thread. The last time I adjusted my FOV was BF:BC2. I think I left it on default in the little I played BF4.

FOV at lowest setting

SNIP

FOV at highest setting

SNIP

One of the few good points of Battlefront is the fact that you can go all the way up to 120 on the slider. If Squad had this it would be perfect.

Im sorry but you are wrong here.

FOV is deffinitely low in squad.

Low FOV= narrow field of view

High FOV = wide field of view

Guessing what the fov is can only be done if you how squad calculates the FOV, some games do it from the vertical resolution, others from the horizontal.

About the fish eye, i have tested it and for sure there is fish eye view right now. Yes i know that nornally we get fish eye view from a wide view, but here we have it in low narrow FOV, so something is also wrong here.

Just test for youself in game, object are as i said, closer on each side of screen than in the center, thats fisheye view. Its not much, so you have to watch very closely as you turn your view from side to center, but im 100% sure we have fish eyeview..im extremly picky on this.

If we could just get the correct FOV for the different resolutions and aspects ratios i would be happy. A slider would be great, but if we still get weird fish eyeview even at narrow FOV, then something basic is wrong and the slider would never get it right either.

Fisheye effect occurs at high FOV rather than low.

I agree an adjustment is needed.

As mentioned above, i know this.

But i can asure you we got a tad of fish eye view right now, even witht the low current FOV. Thats why i say that somthing basic has gone wrong with the FOV.

You can test for you self or force me to provide screenshots :)

As mentioned above, i know this.

But i can asure you we got a tad of fish eye view right now, even witht the low current FOV. Thats why i say that somthing basic has gone wrong with the FOV.

You can test for you self or force me to provide screenshots :)

Haha. I do love me some screenshots but how would you show the difference since we can't adjust it currently?

You know what would be a good test though? Find out exactly how many turns it takes to do a full 360. For example if the FOV truly is 90, it would take 4 turns to complete a full 360 degree spin. I will try this tonight and we can calculate what the actual FOV is

Haha. I do love me some screenshots but how would you show the difference since we can't adjust it currently?

You know what would be a good test though? Find out exactly how many turns it takes to do a full 360. For example if the FOV truly is 90, it would take 4 turns to complete a full 360 degree spin. I will try this tonight and we can calculate what the actual FOV is

Here is made a small demonstration of what i mean. Hope it makes sense.

I know this is not MUCH fisheye view, but it is there and it shouldn't be.

Here is made a small demonstration of what i mean. Hope it makes sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2gdZQnXzAs&feature=youtu.be

I know this is not MUCH fisheye view, but it is there and it shouldn't be.

I believe you. Truly anything higher than a FOV of 50 is going to have some sort of fish eye.

See my explanation here http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/5373-lower-fov-option/?p=88367

Which makes me realize. We have too many FOV threads

I believe you. Truly anything higher than a FOV of 50 is going to have some sort of fish eye.

See my explanation here http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/5373-lower-fov-option/?p=88367

Which makes me realize. We have too many FOV threads

I played alot of other FPS games that had wider FOV and no fisheye effect at all. BF3 etc can adjust the FOV perfectly for 1920x1080 with no fisheye effect and its wider than what we have in Squad atm. There is a certain FOV that matches each resolution and its deffo not what we have atm.

For BC2 one could use this calculator

http://www.rjdown.co.uk/projects/bfbc2/fovcalculator.php

I hope the DEVs gets it right at some point, the more i play the more annoying this becomes. To narrow with to much fish in it :mellow: