TzeAzzazino

60 mm man packed mortar

How about a mortar gunner kit?

Just a normal rifleman kit which carries an extra 60 mm mortar which he can only equip when being crouched and can only fire when a teammate sits next to him and presses the "use" button to start functioning as a loader whilst the mortar gunner will aim and adjust his sights and tell the loader when to drop the shell.

Like this:https://www.defensie.nl/english/organisation/army/contents/materiel/arms/mortar-60mm

I think this would boost teamwork between individual squadmembers and be extremely fun to use whilst not being too overpowered

I know they are working on Mortars but as an emplacement I believe. As someone who has a mortar fetish.... I like it. Although from a realistic standpoint I'm uncertain if modern forces utilize the 60mm in this role anymore. Neat option for insurgent/militia factions.

The same could be done with a machine gunner: a teammember lies down next to the gunner and presses the use button to function as a helper. The machine gun could be fired alone but with the helper next to it gives the team some benefits like: the helper would be able to bring up his binoculars and look at the tracers and impacts of the shots so that the gunner can correct his shots, (especially since we now have alot more view distance as in pr) and also improve the reloading speed by helping out on the reloads, or changing the barrels (on some guns) to lower the chance of overheating. Ofcourse this would only be possible with bmachine gunners and wont be possible with automatic rifleman since they mostly wont have belt fed guns.

A very good friend of mine who served in Iraq as indirect fire infantryman was saying they humped 60mm "footballs" (is what he called them due to the size and shape) around with multiple man teams. IIRC he said something along the lines of "displacement fire" by which he meant that many times their mission was to fire off a few rounds, move and keep doing the same thing to avoid being pinpointed. Would aboolutely love to see mobile mortars thought about at some point.

I know they are working on Mortars but as an emplacement I believe. As someone who has a mortar fetish.... I like it. Although from a realistic standpoint I'm uncertain if modern forces utilize the 60mm in this role anymore. Neat option for insurgent/militia factions.

60mm is absolutely utilized this way still and to great effect. Especially in AO's like A-stan. Where they like to hit you from a ridgeline and pull back to the other side or from murder holes in the walls of the compounds... 60mm Indirect is an excellent way to discourage such TTPs from the enemy. 

60mm is absolutely utilized this way still and to great effect. Especially in AO's like A-stan. Where they like to hit you from a ridgeline and pull back to the other side or from murder holes in the walls of the compounds... 60mm Indirect is an excellent way to discourage such TTPs from the enemy.

Depends on where you were in Afghanistan. Was in Marjah (2/6 Golf Co. RAH!) in Helmond province (far south) and our company was cleared for one 60mm mortar mission and it was a parachute flare...lol and even that needed clearance from the Regimental CO. Marjah is a city though (well more like a large town, the tallest building was 2 floors) mortars were used more up north/away from "dense" population centers.

With the whole "hearts and minds" strategy higher ups didn't want to risk a mortar round hitting civilians accidently (they aren't that accurate, every round you fire moves the weapon so you'll rarely be able to hit the same exact spot twice - unless your dumping a serious amount of rounds...it's been a while tho so if I'm wrong correct me). Also, if mortars are being fired a whole bunch of steps have to be taken to make sure no planes, drones or helos are flying close. So all of our mortar men went to line platoons and did infantryman shit instead haha. Same thing happened when my unit was in Iraq in 06-07 (wasn't there for that one). There were no need for mortars in Falujah so they went to the line platoons.

As for Squad I think it's a good idea cuz conventional and insurgent forces have and do deploy mortar systems in combat but there needs to be more then two guys to use it and def. not just one. People have been worried about the John rambo/loneranger snipers/DMs imagine that shit but with a mortar haha. Firing a few rounds off then running away. Not even close to being realistic and it could easily be abused. Which begs the question, how could it be implemented?

Maybe set it up so the mortar system is like a vehicle? Everybody in the mortar team gets a specific part (the tube, baseplate, sight and ammo) each part needs to be "assembled" together, that way no one or two people can just run off with it. The ammo would be limited (shit is heavy) so if more rounds are needed then the section leader would have to call in a resupply.

It is possible to fire a 60mm with one guy using only the baseplate (smaller then the normal one) but that's what I can see getting abused. At least in PR you needed supplies, a fob and a squad leader to get the mortar.

Mortars carried by squad members are not big incentives to teamwork , need to be very well thought out in the work that will involve using this, still prefer the classic mortars built with the dependence of fob's , and supplies.

As it said :

• In use with: Royal Netherlands Navy, Netherlands Marine Corps 

So it would be unrealistic for the US army to have. Squad is as we know focused on realism on what the currant faction that is gone be in the game uses. So for the US miletery to use this weapon that is not in their arsenoal is unlickly.

But it wouldn't be too unrealistic to have it in the game for insurgents to use, a kind of knee-mortar or one man mortar, for example like in this pic taken during a firefight between insurgents and the US military in Fallujah - Iraqi

warzone%20015.jpg

Source: http://www.camera.org/index.asp?x_print=1&x_context=6&x_article=2813

I think this would be a neat way for maybe on squad to be assigned to playing like for a game or so. Give them a location to set up an FOB, make it an advantagious spot, set up the mortar(s), rain down hell. I would love to be in a squad like that. I'm a player who would rather sit all the way back at base because my squad was told to, then to be charging up to the front because we have no commander.

As it said :

So it would be unrealistic for the US army to have. Squad is as we know focused on realism on what the currant faction that is gone be in the game uses. So for the US miletery to use this weapon that is not in their arsenoal is unlickly.

But it wouldn't be too unrealistic to have it in the game for insurgents to use, a kind of knee-mortar or one man mortar, for example like in this pic taken during a firefight between insurgents and the US military in Fallujah - Iraqi

warzone%20015.jpg

Source: http://www.camera.org/index.asp?x_print=1&x_context=6&x_article=2813

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M224_mortar

As it said :

So it would be unrealistic for the US army to have. Squad is as we know focused on realism on what the currant faction that is gone be in the game uses. So for the US miletery to use this weapon that is not in their arsenoal is unlickly.

But it wouldn't be too unrealistic to have it in the game for insurgents to use, a kind of knee-mortar or one man mortar, for example like in this pic taken during a firefight between insurgents and the US military in Fallujah - Iraqi

Sorry but you're incorrect in your statement. The U.S Army utilizes the M224 60mm Lightweight mortar platform. -- If there are mortars in this game it would be MORE unrealistic for the U.S Forces to NOT have it in their arsenal.

m224_60mm_mortar_on_forward_operating_baU.S. Army Spc. William Marsh covers his ears as Sgt. John Keller fires a shell from a M224 60mm mortar on Forward Operating Base Torkham, Afghanistan   --- Please check your references and facts before making such claims that this weapons platform isn't in use by the U.S Army and stating that it would be "unrealistic" as you say for it to be in the game. 

Not sure if it's still in use today, but our mortar section was (I'm fairly sure) 6x 60mm tube teams and 1x 120mm emplacement in Afghanistan in 2002-03.The 120 sat in a pit at the FOB, the guys packed the 60s on three-man teams. And they sure seemed to need to drop in for ammo regularly, due to the great utility of high angle of attack munitions in that terrain. Also about the only decent way to get a smokescreen going uphill. Ideally we'd have the map covered in RPs and have batteries of guns waiting to blast anything, but that might get old fast for the Taliban players.

Mortars carried by squad members are not big incentives to teamwork , need to be very well thought out in the work that will involve using this, still prefer the classic mortars built with the dependence of fob's , and supplies.

We can very easily balance this out to make sure it requires teamwork to use.

As it said :

warzone%20015.jpg

Source: http://www.camera.org/index.asp?x_print=1&x_context=6&x_article=2813

As someone else mentioned, this is incorrect, US Army and Marines both still use 60mm mortars in handheld mode.

Not sure if it's still in use today, but our mortar section was (I'm fairly sure) 6x 60mm tube teams and 1x 120mm emplacement in Afghanistan in 2002-03.The 120 sat in a pit at the FOB, the guys packed the 60s on three-man teams. And they sure seemed to need to drop in for ammo regularly, due to the great utility of high angle of attack munitions in that terrain. Also about the only decent way to get a smokescreen going uphill. Ideally we'd have the map covered in RPs and have batteries of guns waiting to blast anything, but that might get old fast for the Taliban players.

As stated previously, we still use 60's in conventional and handheld mode, 60s were used both extensively in 2011 in Sangin.