Merlin

September

In the past month we have added and fixed (in no particular order):

• Squads, Fireteams (which aren't exposed currently, awaiting a more extensive UI), and Rallypoints.
  • The completed procedural crops system, along with a generation tool for it.
  • Distance sounds, starting with the M4.
  • New statics for the afghan environment.
  • Diagonal movement animations.
  • Basic inventory, the switching of weapons, and to go along with that deploy and undeploy animations for all the current in game weapons.
  • A number of newer and more polished textures for the HUD and Map.
  • New weapon animations for the M4, the AK74, and the Makarov (both normal and dry reload)).
  • Updates and improvements to crouched and standing movement animations, along with the completion of sprinting animations and the beginnings of slow movement.
  • A number of updates to various weapons textures to improve the look for Physically Based Rendering.
  • Fix to player movement and collision meshes on all our statics so stairs work now.
  • Added initial code for vehicles, and the first vehicle, a HMMWWV.
  • The first throwable animations, done for the m67 grenade.

For the coming month we have planned:

• Making VoIP fully functional, including having input configuration, broadcasting to specific groups / people (your squad, all squad leaders and specific squad leaders), and broadcasting positionally to nearby people.
  • Getting vehicles to a playable state and a more expansive terrain / map to test larger scale combat.
  • Making the beginnings of the roles system (Officer, Medic, Rifleman, and Automatic Rifleman), which will have simple static index based inventories at first.
  • Making the sounds, weapons and animations for the equipment we have lined up for the various weapons of kits.
  • A rudimentary medic system (almost surely very simple but still functional at first to fill its gameplay purpose), paired with varying damage amount based on hit location.
  • Substantial UI work.

Sounds awesome, you guys are making some really nice progress!

For the voip, is there a UE4 base that you're working off or have you designed your own system from scratch?

Yes, UE4 has a decent level of support for VoIP. There is base support in UE4 for recording, compression, transmission, and packet switching, but on top of that things like channels and positional we will be coding.

I think we forgot to mention that we hope to add a bunch of content in-game over the coming month. 

But I am sure that you guys will see it as it happens :)

I think that you will find that they will have more options than was possible with BF2's vehicle system.

Very interesting. Some of the early features are very complex systems and the progress seems to be very rapid, sign of a well oiled dev team.

If you can work such magic in to BF2 then UE4 will be spectacular.

I am very please to see these updates. Having monthly updates are good for the interest of the public, they don't have to be big, but they must be big enough to keep everyone interested for another month at least.

Keep it up folks! 

I really think the sounds from PR:BF2 are one of the most realistic I have heard from any shooter. Would it be possible to just use them in this game?

I really think the sounds from PR:BF2 are one of the most realistic I have heard from any shooter. Would it be possible to just use them in this game?

I agree... PR's sounds are awesome.... but I doubt they will use the same sounds for this new game...

well, at least I bet it's going to be super awesome too :)

There won't be just used, Anders is now working on new sounds, which will bring sound awesomenesses to whole new level :P

Still remember first few version of soundmod, completely mind blowing.

Wait, did Anders go out and buy even more sound effects? Didn't he spend hundreds of dollars already?

He did, although I woudn't be too suprised if he bough another set of sound. Remember he spend so much money for project, from which where was no chance to get money back. From this he will.

Have some new archives yes. Well, eventually Im gonna have a system similar to BF4. It's a long way there though. With level area based reflections for gunfire and explosions. Let's see how everything goes.So yeah, hope I'll get those money back in the future. :) They were well spent.

Yes he is, in fact they have already been update since the videos went out. Pretty sweet audio so far :)

Have some new archives yes. Well, eventually Im gonna have a system similar to BF4. It's a long way there though. With level area based reflections for gunfire and explosions. Let's see how everything goes.So yeah, hope I'll get those money back in the future. :) They were well spent.

Level area based reflections for gunfire, sounds badass.

Sounds incredible man. Sounds make a game imo, and yours are great. Keep it up :)