Sign in to follow this  
Motofox

A squad leaders perspective

So, its been over a week since ive done nothing except play squad leader (with the occasional rpg/gren slot if i notice a SL whom i recognize and respect/trust)

I wanted to relay some banter and thoughts on being an effective squad leader while maintaining the "fun factor"

This is not a "how to" by any means, just my opinions and observations based on what ive been doing. This is all assuming my squadmates are on the same page, we dont have someone conflicting the squad leader or running off on their own.

1. No matter what, my body and the bodies of my squadmates are ON a flag or we're wrong. I try to be on a defending/attacking flag at all times, unless maneuvering to a different flag. (usually i tend to bring my men back to a defending flag since i dont always trust the other squads)

2. Rally points. i try hard to remember to always keep my eye on our current rally point. how many respawns are left, if the enemy is getting close and can potentially disable/remove the RP. We all know how essential a good RP is at all times.

3. FOB's. I usually try to place them out of the way at the edge of the map to act as a forward respawn point. VERY RARELY do i intend for them to be a defensible position. (i usually avoid placing an ammo box so people dont loiter with RPG's)

4. SUPER FOBS (god i shudder at that name) The ONLY time i will place a fob with the intend to defend it is when the enemy has been capped to their spawn and we only have ONE flag to defend. Occasionally taking over a Haji hut, with the expectation to defend it like the Alamo when we are the defensive flag support the forward offensive teams. This is rare. VERY rare

5. Dynamic. Especially with fobs. The battlefield is always changing, always take advantages of "quiet time" so that your not caught with your pants down when the enemy DOES arrive (again im usually in a defensive role)

6. A team that stays together, fights/dies together. I try to herd my squad together like "blood thirsty killer cattle". We respond to the sound of gunfire, so i always try to keep everyone within a few seconds run(preferably ON the flag as mentioned earlier). The death of one squadmate could give away the enemies position and save the rest of the squad. So the more cannon fodder we have the higher the chance someone will kill him.

7. Not getting bogged down in a firefight away from a cap. tracking back to number 1, i try to ALWAYS be on a flag. Very rarely will i tear ass away from a flag to assault an enemy fob. I always try to be on a flag.( #1 )

8. Teamwork, there can only be 1 squad leader and the squad must be ok with what he is doing or the squad will fall apart. I try to do a good job, but people will get frustrated and counter the squad leader. Even if the SL is doing a good job with what he has, sometimes things dont work out. But they will NEVER work out if the rest of the squad is not playing along. So if you dont like what your SL is doing, leave the squad.

These are things that come to mind, of course MY mind, My opinions. I will continually update this to fix my grammar and add stuff

Feel free to critic(duh its the forums, bring on the shit talking) or to add your opinions (duh its the forums, pull up that high horse and have a beer)

So, its been over a week since ive done nothing except play squad leader (with the occasional rpg/gren slot if i notice a SL whom i recognize and respect/trust)

I wanted to relay some banter and thoughts on being an effective squad leader while maintaining the "fun factor"

This is not a "how to" by any means, just my opinions and observations based on what ive been doing. This is all assuming my squadmates are on the same page, we dont have someone conflicting the squad leader or running off on their own.

1. No matter what, my body and the bodies of my squadmates are ON a flag or we're wrong. I try to be on a defending/attacking flag at all times, unless maneuvering to a different flag. (usually i tend to bring my men back to a defending flag since i dont always trust the other squads)

I tend to agree with this although there are times when clearing an enemy encampment is needed so being off of a flag isn't necessarily wrong.

2. Rally points. i try hard to remember to always keep my eye on our current rally point. how many respawns are left, if the enemy is getting close and can potentially disable/remove the RP. We all know how essential a good RP is at all times.

RALLY POINTS ARE BAE

3. FOB's. I usually try to place them out of the way at the edge of the map to act as a forward respawn point. VERY RARELY do i intend for them to be a defensible position. (i usually avoid placing an ammo box so people dont loiter with RPG's)

The less attention drawn to the FOB the better, ammo boxes are crucial to allow for resupplies. I try to throw down 2 or 3 away from the radio just to have a supply chain.

4. SUPER FOBS (god i shudder at that name) The ONLY time i will place a fob with the intend to defend it is when the enemy has been capped to their spawn and we only have ONE flag to defend. Occasionally taking over a Haji hut, with the expectation to defend it like the Alamo when we are the defensive flag support the forward offensive teams. This is rare. VERY rare

Super fobs are for mad lulz. They draw more fire than they're worth.

5. Dynamic. Especially with fobs. The battlefield is always changing, always take advantages of "quiet time" so that your not caught with your pants down when the enemy DOES arrive (again im usually in a defensive role)

Rally points are what keep us dynamic, fobs quickly become a liability if they're over extended.

6. A team that stays together, fights/dies together. I try to herd my squad together like "blood thirsty killer cattle". We respond to the sound of gunfire, so i always try to keep everyone within a few seconds run(preferably ON the flag as mentioned earlier). The death of one squadmate could give away the enemies position and save the rest of the squad. So the more cannon fodder we have the higher the chance someone will kill him.

I wish more people understood that staying together will net you more kills, points, and fun than lone wolfing.

7. Not getting bogged down in a firefight away from a cap. tracking back to number 1, i try to ALWAYS be on a flag. Very rarely will i tear ass away from a flag to assault an enemy fob. I always try to be on a flag.( #1 )

This is your strategy and I hope it works for you. I try to always be moving.

8. Teamwork, there can only be 1 squad leader and the squad must be ok with what he is doing or the squad will fall apart. I try to do a good job, but people will get frustrated and counter the squad leader. Even if the SL is doing a good job with what he has, sometimes things dont work out. But they will NEVER work out if the rest of the squad is not playing along. So if you dont like what your SL is doing, leave the squad.

Backseat squadleading does not help. Giving the SL advice and intel helps, screaming that we need more Rally points or to go somewhere else doesn't. Bad mouthing the squad leader only lowers morale and adds to the stress of being an effective squadleader.

These are things that come to mind, of course MY mind, My opinions. I will continually update this to fix my grammar and add stuff

Feel free to critic(duh its the forums, bring on the shit talking) or to add your opinions (duh its the forums, pull up that high horse and have a beer)

Your opinions are bad and you should feel bad. I am clearly better than you because reasons. Yellow is the best color for text.

May I just add,not going to be a problem in the near future due to SL "kick" function..."hammer Time"!. :D

Your opinions are bad and you should feel bad. I am clearly better than you because reasons. Yellow is the best color for text.

Sparcancy, please don't use low-contrast cancer-colors even for your funs.

It hurts people!

Btw, you may use multiple quotes like this, it's way cooler because of reasons:

I don't think I agree completely on this, but it is heavily dependent on what the current strategic layout says.

It does of course not make sense to have a whole 9-man-squad have off-flag when there is only 2 squads in the team.

Though it can work out when you have 3+ squads, where you start a flanking-offense or something of that nature - that said, it must be well-planned and you shouldn't waste too much time on such operations, as otherwise it will cause more damage than help

That's a mostly valid point, though a few defense-walls and ammo crates may be useful here and there - but the situation on SuperFOBs will change drastically when they implement the resource system.

Good thread.

I especially agree with point. 4. SUPER FOBS.

I often see Squad Leaders setting up S-FOB's far off from the objective, perhaps far up on a mountain, and are just competing with an enemy squad, rendering around 18 players (both teams) useless, taking up slots on the server. I often tell people that are doing this, if they want to have a team deathmatch with their friends, then join an empty server. :)

Good thread.

I especially agree with point. 4. SUPER FOBS.

I often see Squad Leaders setting up S-FOB's far off from the objective, perhaps far up on a mountain, and are just competing with an enemy squad, rendering around 18 players (both teams) useless, taking up slots on the server. I often tell people that are doing this, if they want to have a team deathmatch with their friends, then join an empty server. :)

I tend to not get super upset over super fobs players are still learning the building mechanics. I must admit I'm guilty of a few super fobs myself. In time I'm sure FOBs will take on a more reasonable role.

This is a well-timed thread ! i just finished playing as SL ( previous quit - so it fell to me). I wanted to ask y'all what do YOU get out of being a SL?

I have a love- hate relationship with SL position ;  i enjoy it but find myself getting a bit stressed out trying to keep track of :

my squad

the other squads - so i can offer /ask for help

the enemy

staying alive

all at the same time.

What do YOU guys get out of playing SL ? do you choose it if it's available ? i usually only take it if no one else wants it.

This is a well-timed thread ! i just finished playing as SL ( previous quit - so it fell to me). I wanted to ask y'all what do YOU get out of being a SL?

I have a love- hate relationship with SL position ;  i enjoy it but find myself getting a bit stressed out trying to keep track of :

my squad

the other squads - so i can offer /ask for help

the enemy

staying alive

all at the same time.

What do YOU guys get out of playing SL ? do you choose it if it's available ? i usually only take it if no one else wants it.

I purposefully try for squad leader as do many of the active forum users. It's definitely an acquired taste but there's something rewarding about leading a squad to victory.

So called "Super FOBs" maybe not be as usefull as some think they're supposed to be, and I think this is only due to the fact that atm the game is in a "25vs25 players max, infantry only" state. What I mean, is if on a 25 players team you have 9 of them playing minecraft on top of a mountain (looking for diamonds?), you loose quite a big part of your team. But in the future, 9 players on 50 won't be such a big deal, you'd still have 41 players in the fight. That, without talking about vehicules. I guess that when a tank will starts dropping rounds at your FOB, you'll be happy to have big fat walls to respawn behind.

So the "Super FOB" building should not be critisized so much, I'm pretty sure it'll be usefull at some point in the future. What I dislike the most about them (or even "normal FOBs"), is that some people have no idea on how to build effective defensives/tactical positions, they're just laying sandbag walls here and there. But that's just normal I guess, since the game is new.

From my personnal Squad Leading experience, when building a FOB, I usually keep 2 or 3 guys with me (building and security), and ask the rest of them to move foward to the objective. When they die/respawn, I ask them to do a kind of rotation, just to keep everyone entertained (ARE YOU NOT?).

TheBloodyThing hit the nail on the head. At present the misallocation of manpower may very well lose your team the round, some would say winning isn't everything and they have had great experiences defending FOBs or having hill top to hill top FOB mega firefights, and I don't think we should devalue their enjoyment. It's fun lobbing rounds at one another over 300-400 meters, and it will only get more enjoyable as the FOB mechanics get fleshed out, but it's not fitting of the scale of this current iteration. Winning means being able to adjust to the flags on a moments notice, being able to recognize when a backcap is possible and seizing that moment, be it defensive or offensive. Static squads are losing squads, stay mobile, stay on the objective, and don't let the enemy pin your guys down while they cap you out. Having your squad sit on a hill hands initiative over to the enemy team, keep that in mind when you are off objective.

TheBloodyThing hit the nail on the head. At present the misallocation of manpower may very well lose your team the round, some would say winning isn't everything and they have had great experiences defending FOBs or having hill top to hill top FOB mega firefights, and I don't think we should devalue their enjoyment. It's fun lobbing rounds at one another over 300-400 meters, and it will only get more enjoyable as the FOB mechanics get fleshed out, but it's not fitting of the scale of this current iteration. Winning means being able to adjust to the flags on a moments notice, being able to recognize when a backcap is possible and seizing that moment, be it defensive or offensive. Static squads are losing squads, stay mobile, stay on the objective, and don't let the enemy pin your guys down while they cap you out. Having your squad sit on a hill hands initiative over to the enemy team, keep that in mind when you are off objective.

We can expect to see the meta change significantly in the next few updates. As new weapons, vehicles and factions are added the community will adjust accordingly.

That's all good stuff Motofox.

The super fob thing is annoying. Maybe in the future when the scale of the game is larger they will be useful, but at this stage moving rapidly is much more effective. 

I think it's also important to coordinate with the other squad leaders. Stuff as simple as dividing up objectives, knowing who is putting a fob where and ensuring that someone is on the defensive.

Letting your own squad know you are communicating with the other squads makes folks in the squad feel better that their SL is making an effort to coordinate.

I tend to put small fobs down frequently. If your squad is tight they can go down as fast as a Rally Point. They don't always need an ammo crate, but I frequently put one down with them. I rarely go past an ammo crate and try to rely on the terrain to provide cover & concealment.

I try to think about the 400m gaps. I often will take on setting up fobs and hunting down enemy fobs as a "mission" within the round. That is, imo, almost as important as capturing objectives. Often I see a map with no fobs on it and that's usually an indicator the team is losing. I will set up as many as 4 or 5 on the larger maps. Usually I tell the other SLs that my squad is heading to a specific location to build a FOB. Halfway I try and set up a Rally Point.

I love the player made spawns. When we first came up with it in PR a lot of folks were not sure about it, but eventually it was adopted by the players and, imo, it's an awesome aspect of PR and Squad that makes for a lot of replay-ability. 

Cheers,

egg

​I love the player made spawns. When we first came up with it in PR a lot of folks were not sure about it, but eventually it was adopted by the players and, imo, it's an awesome aspect of PR and Squad that makes for a lot of replay-ability.

Absolutely, makes every game differently enjoyable, right? (I mean except for the negative examples like Minecraft SuperFOBs).

I would like to clarify that i love the idea of the massive buildings of FOB's. I  myself enjoy the Art Of Defense mindset, building an intricate web of defenses and holding out like The Alamo. I just feel that they are mostly abused right now. Once the maps become bigger and vehicles are introduced i do believe that they will play a much more vital role. (vehicle service points and such)

Thanks for all the insight so quickly!

Im sure as plenty of you said, this game is in its early stages and so much will change, im sure ill have an entirely different outlook and set of stuff to complain about after November's build... then come all the steam pubbers :ph34r:

Probably one of my bigger pet peeves is seeing a squad get bogged down on a hill while enroute to an objective*. It seems hard for alot of people to disengage and push past the gunfire. (although i understand sometimes bullets just get in the way and you have to shoot back)

I agree, but I would add one important point. A great squad leader also knows how to be a great squad member. There's a lot of "full time" SLs out there that are only SL because of their overinflated egos and desires to be in control. If you can't learn to follow directions, more than likely you won't be very good at giving them.

I agree, but I would add one important point. A great squad leader also knows how to be a great squad member. There's a lot of "full time" SLs out there that are only SL because of their overinflated egos and desires to be in control. If you can't learn to follow directions, more than likely you won't be very good at giving them.

I like your thinking smile.png

Totally true!

In my experience as a SL, people are receptive to constant communication. Encourage everyone. Don't micromanage. Be a leader not just a guy on the battlefield. Lead.

But muh megalomania!

I like what OP is doing. Flags are the top priority!

One thing. I often see the squad beeing way to close together....thiking i much rather be on the other side attacking a squad that close together.

Advantages of having a few guys in front or at sides distance 50-200 meters out  :

Better general awereness

Better chance to flank and attack enemy squads from the rear.

Enemy can have a harder time identifying where the main body of the squad is