Note: This topic is the result of a debate and conclusions drawn over an older topic I posted a few months ago.

Suggestions for increased persistence

Points and ranks

1. Make a point/xp system for things like squad score, team score, etc., as well as a separate counter for each vehicle type for vehicle-specific customizations (see 9.) based primarily on mission success (number of lased CAS runs etc.)

2. Make ranks, with military markings (unlocked by total earned xp) that change based on rank, on the actual in-game character model, as well as next to your name. Example:

<TEAM>*Sgt.icon*Sgt. Ostboll: OMG don't fire AA near team air u dense f***!!1!1

Alternatively, rank and unlocks could perhaps be unlocked after a certain skill level, like KDR+team score per minute+revives per minute, or something like that.

Spectator mode and tournaments

3.  For big league/tournament games, maybe add a spectator mode? (with delay, duh)

4. Arrange lots of tournaments and make sure the game is tournament/event friendly.

Personalization, achievements, bragging rights and soldier and vehicle customizations

5. Add options for unlockable additional character aesthetic customization (obviously not a different type uniform, but attaching grass/branches to the helmet, wearing a beret/boonie, face paint etc.).

6. Add achievements (that do not affect gameplay) either like the steam achievements, or like the BF medals, or a hybrid.

7. Make achievement badges displayable on the uniform (as ribbons/skill identifier badges).

8. Give the crewman and pilot helmets a few unlockable options as well like flames, a flag, etc.

9. Add unlockable nose art and personalization for vehicles, like shark mouths on A-10s, kill counters (painted burning tanks for instance) on aircraft, and maybe even some custom text (with fixed font size, colour etc. of course to avoid less serious customizations).

Why?

General

Squads predecessor is lacking in something that most shooters have today: a reward and bragging right system. Squad could become the tactical shooter and could bring my favourite genre to the mic-using public. But to become the flagship of teamplay, there needs to be rewards and persistence. Otherwise it would be hard to make Squad grow big. Therefore, I believe some of the above suggestions are not only needed to make the game grow bigger, but they'd also be f***ing awesome.

For each suggestion:

1.-2. A higher rank is nice bragging rights, and a neat rough indication to other players on your skill level.

3. I don't know about you, but watching an intense battle in some clan v. clan finals with commentators sounds pretty awesome to me.

4. Making the game and servers tournament friendly would allow for loads of community events and tournaments.

5. Additional face paint/helmet camo (that still looks like the correct team) adds bragging rights and variety.

6. For the reward system. Duh.

7. Bragging rights, personalization, etc.

8. You don't want a patriotic themed custom paint job pilot helmet with bald eagles and fireworks?

9. I always wanted to write "I'm gonna free the sh*t out of you" on my tank.

If you want ranks to actually have some meaning you shouldn't base them on experience. Play more - better rank isn't the right way. Play better - better rank should be. Getting a badge for having more than 20 revives/ round says a lot, having 10.000 total revives really doesn't.

If you want ranks to actually have some meaning you shouldn't base them on experience. Play more - better rank isn't the right way. Play better - better rank should be. Getting a badge for having more than 20 revives/ round says a lot, having 10.000 total revives really doesn't.

Well that is some interesting input and could be an alternative approach. However, a higher total score would suggest you're more of a veteran, whereas the in-game achievements/assignments could be more like "in a round, get over 1000 team score".

The suggestion is for aesthetic customization for vehicles and player characters based on XP gained by player actions kills/revs/caps

Here's why I'm largely against persistence in the form OP describes:

PR is a mod that's been running for >8 years. At no point in this lifespan did it have any semblance of persistence or ranking. If you want to make a name for yourself in PR, you play and you talk and you get to know other players. Or you actively promote the game through a youtube account. Adding persistence in the form of ranks for XP will encourage people to do what I did in battlefield 4, "Meh ill just play for a few kills then log off" PR/Squad hopefully are supposed to be long form matches and a person shouldn't be looking for the instant gratification of Cod/ Bf4, grinding for their next number. In PR people are playing the match for the gameplay of the match rather than an overt reward. Playing for experiences they can share, war stories rather than something shiny. 

All that being said, this isn't PR or Arma, there's probably a way that progression/persistence can be done right, i'm just one of the skeptics.

EA_sucks gets a +1 from me

the best reward they can give me: new factions, maps, updates, bugs fixing, etc

it's priceless B)

I agree, but of course not as a reward for skill level/team score (duh).

+1, cause we aren't Pavlov's dog :)

Screw rewards.

The suggestion is for aesthetic customization for vehicles and player characters based on XP gained by player actions kills/revs/caps

PR is a mod that's been running for >8 years. At no point in this lifespan did it have any semblance of persistence or ranking. If you want to make a name for yourself in PR, you play and you talk and you get to know other players. Or you actively promote the game through a youtube account. Adding persistence in the form of ranks for XP will encourage people to do what I did in battlefield 4, "Meh ill just play for a few kills then log off" PR/Squad hopefully are supposed to be long form matches and a person shouldn't be looking for the instant gratification of Cod/ Bf4, grinding for their next number. In PR people are playing the match for the gameplay of the match rather than an overt reward. Playing for experiences they can share, war stories rather than something shiny. 

All that being said, this isn't PR or Arma, there's probably a way that progression/persistence can be done right, i'm just one of the skeptics.

Well, the unlocks would be 100% aesthetic, like wearing a beret instead of a helmet after a certain skill level/squad score etc. Not really something to grind for, but more like, when someone jumps into your bunker with a captain rank insignia and a boonie hat you know the dude has some experience behind him. Or when someone has bailed from a crashed A10 with a shark mouth and has a flame painted pilot helmet you know he's got a lot of missions behind him. Or when a tank comes by and on the side there's like 3 large burning tanks painted and 4 small ones you know he's destroyed 34 enemy vehicles.

How about instead we focus our priorities towards ideas that don't have to do with making ourselves out to be special little snowflakes.

Ostboll, why do you care about this shit at all? It has absolutely no bearing on gameplay, and therefore will be swept under the rug in favor of tweaks/features that do affect gameplay. Why do you care about what's on your playermodel? Why do you need some stupid decal to appear on a jet as soon as you hop in it?

How about instead we focus our priorities towards ideas that don't have to do with making ourselves out to be special little snowflakes.

Ostboll, why do you care about this shit at all? It has absolutely no bearing on gameplay, and therefore will be swept under the rug in favor of tweaks/features that do affect gameplay. Why do you care about what's on your playermodel? Why do you need some stupid decal to appear on a jet as soon as you hop in it?

Yeah you know I didn't think of that. Let's make all soldiers identical instead.  :)  As a matter of fact why should I care about a more realistic and diverse set of personalized player models, or badass looking tanks, or something to show that I've been probably playing the game for a long time and can help newer players :). As a matter of fact, you're completely right. I don't care about the player models, let's just make all player models five polygon blobs looking like that pink fat thing from the McDonalds universe because I just don't care. Boy, the people who paint those shark mouths in real life must be pretty damn stupid, haha! And seriously, the decision ArmA made to include custom faces and stuff? That's just silly. :)

Nope

EA_sucks gets a +1 from me

Very well said.

In PR, people all have their favorite server where pretty much everyone on that server knows each other. This is how you make a name for yourself, without the need of grinding and getting your E-penis up. Just be a good squad leader, and people will recognize you to be one. Same goes for being a good pilot/gunner/driver/medic/whatnot.

In PR, people all have their favorite server where pretty much everyone on that server knows each other. This is how you make a name for yourself, without the need of grinding and getting your E-penis up. Just be a good squad leader, and people will recognize you to be one. Same goes for being a good pilot/gunner/driver/medic/whatnot.

This only "works" because the community is super small. I really hope the community will expand by a lot with a new game and server elitism will end ("I only play if server x is seeded..."). Another problem with this is that many people think they're really good at something when in fact they suck. I'm sure you can think of such people.

Having some kind of stats collected and getting a badge based on your past performance (performance/ time) would shut those people up and the good ones would have something to show for. But it might be too hard to implement and not fit the design of this game.

Also, this retarded elitist mentality where anything from an actually successful game gets shat on for no real reason is part of why PR isn't popular. Transfer the same mentality into this new game and you're looking at another unpopular game.

Rank doesn't mean anything of any skill level, persistence in game-play can make the most lonewolf player the highest rank. I hated in games like Battlefield 4 where you would have people rolling around with all the customization it did like pink camouflage, etc., all it did was destroy immersion. I like the idea of symbols on vehicles but that should just be a randomization. I also do like the idea of getting something back for game-play but for once (I love customization in everything) I would prefer to not have any player specific customization, those "bragging rights" normally end up in hatred for other players. I'd just prefer the realism end of it wherein everyone would be equipped properly I don't know maybe make it an option to see player customization which could work nicely and appeal to both sides.

Maybe having a stat tracking system and a player recommendation system which at the end of a round a Squad Leader could recommend a list of things or not (not recommending would not result in any negativeness just nothing would show up). Maybe write a small note to them if it is advice.

This is the first time ever I have objected to character/vehicle customization and I feel it is just unneeded in squad.

Ostboll, how would your suggestion apply to other factions like the Taliban and HAMAS? Would these soldiers simply get no customization?

Nope

Very well said.

For PR I definitely agree there is no need for the uh... E-p***nis feature... (sounds like a completely different game haha) I mean there's like three servers and not that many clans and I recognize a lot of people I know have some experience by now on those servers. However, I'd say Squad will hopefully be a much, much larger game, hence why the ranks would be pretty neat in my opinion. Further you could take a look at my reply to the post you quoted if you want.

Rank doesn't mean anything of any skill level, persistence in game-play can make the most lonewolf player the highest rank. I hated in games like Battlefield 4 where you would have people rolling around with all the customization it did like pink camouflage, etc., all it did was destroy immersion. I like the idea of symbols on vehicles but that should just be a randomization. I also do like the idea of getting something back for game-play but for once (I love customization in everything) I would prefer to not have any player specific customization, those "bragging rights" normally end up in hatred for other players. I'd just prefer the realism end of it wherein everyone would be equipped properly I don't know maybe make it an option to see player customization which could work nicely and appeal to both sides.

Maybe having a stat tracking system and a player recommendation system which at the end of a round a Squad Leader could recommend a list of things or not (not recommending would not result in any negativeness just nothing would show up). Maybe write a small note to them if it is advice.

This is the first time ever I have objected to character/vehicle customization and I feel it is just unneeded in squad.

Ranking up could be based in part of exclusively on 'skill level' (squad score per minute, objectives completed per game etc.) Regarding the 'lone wolf' thing, of course a game like Squad would grant XP for squad and teamplay related things, like reviving, playing objectives, etc., and very little or no XP at all for just killing. Regarding 'pink camouflage', if you looked at my suggested customizations, you'd notice I only suggested personalized customizations that would actually be found on the battlefield. I completely agree that changing your characters camo or spraying your weapon blue is absolutely terrible, unrealistic, and ruins both gameplay and immersion. As for the 'recommendation' suggestion, I like the idea, but I can see how it would easily get abused by clan members circle-j***ing each other and giving unreasonably high commendations for different tasks and skills.

Ostboll, how would your suggestion apply to other factions like the Taliban and HAMAS? Would these soldiers simply get no customization?

I'd say each faction could implement an equivalent if necessary, maybe give the higher ranks kevlar helmets, berets, aviator shades (well for hamas at least this would be reasonable as the cell leaders usually don't want to get identified), baseball caps, etc. However, I don't think it would really ruin the concept if say, the Taliban, did not have any custom aesthetic gear changes for higher ranks, or a rank insignia on their clothing.

This only "works" because the community is super small. I really hope the community will expand by a lot with a new game and server elitism will end ("I only play if server x is seeded..."). Another problem with this is that many people think they're really good at something when in fact they suck. I'm sure you can think of such people.

Having some kind of stats collected and getting a badge based on your past performance (performance/ time) would shut those people up and the good ones would have something to show for. But it might be too hard to implement and not fit the design of this game.

Also, this retarded elitist mentality where anything from an actually successful game gets shat on for no real reason is part of why PR isn't popular. Transfer the same mentality into this new game and you're looking at another unpopular game.

+1 I don't think the PR community is THAT elitist, and I do understand there's a certain fear PR would get struck by something similar to what DayZ did to the ArmA community, but sure there is an unwarranted phobia for any successful concept that may be reminiscent of something that exists in other shooters, and people tend to use the slippery slope fallacy; "he wants to have berets and ranks, that's gonna lead to pink camouflage and USMC soldiers running around with UCP!".

I'm am also a long time BF2:PR player and I also fall in to the "no unlock/reward" crowd.

There are few reasons why I don't like it:

It is giving player motivation to do stuff that is not helpful to the team/squad/current situation. "Oh I'm gona go do this thing real quick, because I'm gona get a new hat.", and it will happen, I do this a lot in other games that have unlocks. Even if the unlocks are purely cosmetcal, and I'm 100% sure most other people do this as well.

Because of the nature of PR, "numerical score" is a bad way to tell if anyone is actually a good player. There is a lot ways to get high scores (squad score, individual score etc.) in BF2:PR even without doing anything useful. Its really hard to make a scoring system that actually reflects the abilities of the player.

And PR is trying to portray modern "run of the mill" soldiers. As much as I know, light-head-gear (Berets or booney) is not actually that common near combat zones. They are used by recon, spec-ops in combat, but mostly, if there is danger, most soldiers have a helmet on. Its just practical. Change in gear is based on your role on the battlefield, not how experienced you are. Truth is that most of infantry IRL is boring and they look the same. Difference is mostly in small details.

It serves a purpose as well, If you observe a enemy squad and you don't know who is the most experienced, you cant shoot them first. IRL most solders look a like for the same reason. If enemy marksman knows, who is the SL or PL then he just knows to shoot him and the unit is without their leader until someone takes over. For the same reason most army's forbid saluting in any combat situations. Not sure how common it is but some units even take off all their names, rank marking and unit badges during combat.

On top of that I like that people are treated the same by default and the fact that someone is more experience comes out of their actions, not if they have a fancy gear.

I'm am also a long time BF2:PR player and I also fall in to the "no unlock/reward" crowd.

There are few reasons why I don't like it:

It is giving player motivation to do stuff that is not helpful to the team/squad/current situation. "Oh I'm gona go do this thing real quick, because I'm gona get a new hat.", and it will happen, I do this a lot in other games that have unlocks. Even if the unlocks are purely cosmetcal, and I'm 100% sure most other people do this as well.

Because of the nature of PR, "numerical score" is a bad way to tell if anyone is actually a good player. There is a lot ways to get high scores (squad score, individual score etc.) in BF2:PR even without doing anything useful. Its really hard to make a scoring system that actually reflects the abilities of the player.

And PR is trying to portray modern "run of the mill" soldiers. As much as I know, light-head-gear (Berets or booney) is not actually that common near combat zones. They are used by recon, spec-ops in combat, but mostly, if there is danger, most soldiers have a helmet on. Its just practical. Change in gear is based on your role on the battlefield, not how experienced you are. Truth is that most of infantry IRL is boring and they look the same. Difference is mostly in small details.

It serves a purpose as well, If you observe a enemy squad and you don't know who is the most experienced, you cant shoot them first. IRL most solders look a like for the same reason. If enemy marksman knows, who is the SL or PL then he just knows to shoot him and the unit is without their leader until someone takes over. For the same reason most army's forbid saluting in any combat situations. Not sure how common it is but some units even take off all their names, rank marking and unit badges during combat.

On top of that I like that people are treated the same by default and the fact that someone is more experience comes out of their actions, not if they have a fancy gear.

Of course the score/XP would be almost exclusively or exclusively teamplay and/or skill related and have very little or nothing to do with killing. Further, as in PR, the score should not be announced immediately or have flashy popups, thus unless you've done some extensive homework and waited the three minutes or whatever it is in PR, you won't really know what brings you what score exactly. I won't deny though that there is a slight risk of a bunch of twelve year olds making a private server just running around healing each other and capturing objectives to get a beret, a cool face paint or a beard...

I agree about the numerical score being a bad measure of a good player. If this is deemed important, then a more skill-based score could be implemented as suggested above, or, it might not be important since the berets and ranks and shark mouths etc. are mostly intended to show if people have had a lot of air time, for instance.

As for the headgear, that was just a suggestion, sure one unlock could maybe be to look as silly as these gentlemen in the field, however, more reasonable suggestions would be shades, rank insignias, and other standard alterations as seen in the field such as this, or maybe rolled up or not rolled up sleeves, sport shades or combat goggles, beard or no beard, full face paint or camo color 'war paint' to look badass, etc.

As for your description of counter-sniper tactics, those are mostly useful over the course of hours or days in situations where the sniper could take something like one shot and then have to retreat, since then he would lay and try to determine who is the officer before taking that shot. Unless someone in Squad was close enough to see the enemy ranks and still far enough away to be able to calmly determine who was the most experienced, or knew all the enemy personalizations by heart and assumed the enemy would wear the exact specific personalizations that was unlocked for their rank (a certain face paint, uniform arms rolled up or not, aviators or sport shades or combat goggles etc.), they wouldn't know who to shoot, except that the complete greenhorn might be a waste, and further, since ranks would not indicate who was the squad leader since this is a game, the importance of identifying who has played the game for a longer time and has a more personalized soldier becomes very unimportant.

As for the headgear, that was just a suggestion, sure one unlock could maybe be to look as silly as these gentlemen in the field, however, more reasonable suggestions would be shades, rank insignias, and other standard alterations as seen in the field such as this, or maybe rolled up or not rolled up sleeves, sport shades or combat goggles, beard or no beard, full face paint or camo color 'war paint' to look badass, etc.

They were on exercise, hence the berets :)

Big no no for "war paint" from me. If I rocked up to a patrol with a couple of Arnie lines on my cheeks I would be made section bitch for the rest of the tour!

They were on exercise, hence the berets :)

Big no no for "war paint" from me. If I rocked up to a patrol with a couple of Arnie lines on my cheeks I would be made section bitch for the rest of the tour!

Nah that wasn't an exercise, you're not allowed to wear 'dress uniforms' then (or whatever the British term is), you're supposed to wear normal gear. The reason they had those fancy berets was that they were at the base and with reporters on the scene I think that counts as formal enough to justify formal wear. Obviously if they were in the field they'd get a yell out if they were crazy enough to wear their dress stuff. The only realistic explanation for including something as ridiculous as that in Squad (which I'm certainly not suggesting) would be if they were holding a ceremony and got ambushed or something hehe. I'm not sure how common it is nowadays to wear berets for field deployment. Here in Sweden, we were usually told what headwear to use in our system of very basic training. I know our elite forces, "kustjägarna" for instance, "the coastal jaegers/coastal hunters" in English, are allowed to wear their green berets on actual deployment instead of boonies or our "olles brorsa" knit cap. According to google it seems like it's very rare to use your berets in actual combat these days, one deployment of note being the British commandos during the Falklands war using them constantly. Regarding the 'war paint' (face camo paint), I meant that something arnold-ish (well in camo colours of course) could be one of many unlockable options for that. I think I've seen some picture somewhere of U.S. army guys having the American football style stripes. Of course, the U.S. army is well known to be a bunch of 'poofters' if you ask any marine or foreign serviceman, but still, maybe it can be babbys first unlock ;)

How often do you look at the face of players, friendly or enemy, in any game? It seems this suggestion is being reduced to its logical extreme - superfluity. Ain't no point in letting people change a detail as little as the art of their face camo, and no 'regular soldiers' (If that's what Squad is trying to portray) would wear equipment other than helmets and full armour on patrol in a warzone. As such, variation should be engrained in kit selection as it is in PR now. Race/glasses/equipment all change dependant on kit, no player input but characters still look varied.

In terms of vehicles, i'm all up for some variation in how they are put together (bags on the side of tanks/humvees etc) but again it should be map specific, no need for player input.

Anyway, for unlockable infantry customizations/unlocks I can think of;

Blufor/regular armies (Sweden, Russia, USMC, Germany, Iran etc.)

Insignias and badges: Skill identifier badges maybe (AKA achievement badges), rank insignias, role insignias and name badge (last two not unlocks).

Headgear: Kevlar, kevlar with additional camo, boonies, knit caps, cold weather caps (army issue trapper hats/ushankas when available), no headgear, ear protection only, headset only.

Masks and eyewear: Sport shades and ballistic shades (multiple colour lenses), combat goggles, bandanas, shemaghs, filtration masks maybe (some people mail order them to keep sand and dust out).

Face: Beard, stubble, moustaches etc., camo paint schemes like stripes, full single colour, full multi-colour, baseball stripes, etc., scars, base face (not an unlock, ArmA style).

Uniform and lower body gear: Rolled up sleeves, knee protection, gloves, wrist GPS, wrist watch, tattoos, bottle of vodka in ammo pouch (Russia and Finland only), etc.

Insurgents/PMCs (Taliban, Hamas, Blackwater etc.)

Insignias and badges: N/A

Headgear: Kevlar, boonies, different turbans and headwraps (note the terrorist saucier)(the properly wrapped face-exposing turban being the last unlock) etc.

Masks and eyewear: Sport shades (multiple colour lenses), bandanas, shemaghs, skimasks, aviator shades, etc. Oh, and granny glasses or 1940's reading glasses or some other absurd thing like that for ridiculously high xp, so rare that you'll probably never see a pair in-game. When you on your thousandth game jump into a trench to find a taliban wearing pink glittery granny reading glasses, you'd know he's seen some sh**.

Face: Beard, dorito flavoured beard, operator beard for PMC etc., scars, base face (not an unlock, ArmA style).

'Uniform' and lower body gear: A number of completely different base 'uniforms' (shirts+jeans/trekking pants for PMCs, Afghan civilian clothes for Talibans, etc.)

Of course, I think all inf unlocks should be for a single infantry 'xp bar' (or skill counter). Ranking up and unlocking new stuff to choose from (unlocked after a minimum rank) could either be done by earning XP, by for instance winning rounds, doing team and squad-oriented tasks (like reviving, capping with other players, etc.) and so on, or maybe reaching a certain skill requirement, bumping you over the limit to the next level, where you'll have to momentarily reach a slightly higher skill requirement to advance and so forth. Skill would then, for instance, be determined by squad and team score per time (when 'recording'), squad and team score/death ratio, squad and team score/asset used, and so forth, or maybe ranking up could be a combination of both of the XP and skill system. The whole skill suggestion I'm not exactly so sure about at all though, it might encourage people to exploit and 'grind' for a few games to level up. As for the XP, I think the best way to do it would be like in PR, where there's a delay for score to be listed, and of course there should be no pop-up on the screen or something to inform you how much XP something yields (something that shouldn't be well known anyway).

It would be nice to have some really absurd customizations, like granny glasses/braided beards for the taliban, red fighter jets, a boxer shorts uniform for the PMC, etc., unlocked after a ridiculously extreme amount of XP so difficult to achieve that the odds of ever seeing these customizations in game would be extremely low. That way, looking up at the sky seeing a red JAS39 break the sound barrier, you'd know some legendary Squad player, the red baron of Squad, is duking it out above. That and maybe some special items for the Squad devs and clans that win big tournaments, would be an awesome little extra touch.

How often do you look at the face of players, friendly or enemy, in any game? It seems this suggestion is being reduced to its logical extreme - superfluity. Ain't no point in letting people change a detail as little as the art of their face camo, and no 'regular soldiers' (If that's what Squad is trying to portray) would wear equipment other than helmets and full armour on patrol in a hot warzone. As such, variation should be engrained in kit selection as it is in PR now. Race/glasses/equipment all change dependant on kit, no player input but characters still look varied.

In terms of vehicles, i'm all up for some variation in how they are put together (bags on the side of tanks/humvees etc) but again it should be map specific, no need for player input.

The face alone would of course be a minor part, and not an unlock/reward, but rather like it is in ArmA. If you've played ArmA, in some game modes if you're playing with friends having them identifiable is actually quite a nifty feature, but of course not a necessary one and far from the core of what I suggested. Besides, on some PR maps, one of the few ways of separating the USMC from the MEC is by looking at their faces.

I incidentally just posted a more extensive list of infantry personalization/possible rewards just above this post (the "Anyway, for unlockable..." one), with a lot more than faces. Of course, soldiers and vehicles could be exclusively based on the map, but this would remove personalization, recognizing someone's in-game character, the freedom to create your unique character, and any form of er... 'Physical' reward for playing more team oriented or being a veteran to the game, etc. Some options can't be map based, like player names on uniforms and vehicles, and if you want varied assets, like some soldiers having scars and beards and some not, why make it random instead of player controlled? And every modern shooter has reward systems for a reason (well apart from what I mentioned above); to create an incentive for casual players to play a bit more, thereby filling the servers and giving people like you and me more targets. If people play a bit more, they spread the game a bit more, and so forth. Also, imagine logging in for the first time, joining a squad; Squad leader: "Are you new, Private Ostboll?" "Yeah Cpt. Tarantula, I just bought the game." "Oh alright no problem we'll make sure you keep up". Well... That or "Sorry, we're planning on making an advanced mech inf shock assault squad, try joining a standard inf squad instead if it's your first time mate".

For games with no unlocks, I find I play a bit more sporadically. Like BF1942; I play intensely for a few days, maybe a week, kind of stop playing because there's no rewards to push me to keep searching for those new epic moments, and then I start playing again. Now, that's me. A lot of people would just stop, making the game smaller, the servers fewer and more monopolized, the community smaller, the awareness of the game lower (thus recruiting fewer serious players as well), etc. I really think a basic aesthetic reward system would do a lot of good for Squad.

You do have a point there Ostball - the learning curve in PR is hard and that puts people off. You deploy into a map - even if you have a mic - if you don't know how to get a kit you'll be shouted out of a squad and left to swim or drown in a difficult game. The ability to recognise a "private" from a "captain" or so forth could be very useful and the only real way to measure someones rank is by some kind of experience system. 

Still not in support of customization though, this isn't like Bf4 where you outfit each of 4 classes to look like what you want, with every kit you get a new loadout of weapons. Besides - scars noone will notice. Beards - militaries have rules on this, you wont see many in most western armies as far as i know. Player names on uniforms cant realistically  be read, and what really matters is an icon above a characters head ( as seen in dev blog1)

My point is that people running around with flags painted on their faces and silly headgear breaks immersion, even in Arma, I know of plenty of clans that are against it. and apart from these the detail is just pointless, who cares if you have kneepads or not? what does wearing a watch matter?