desen

Voice activation

35 posts in this topic

So it should be clear that you have more benefits with voice activation than problems with mouthbreathers if teamspeak will be used as an alternative.

An alternative to communicating with the rest of your team? No.

And the 3-6 seconds are the combat time in which you need all fingers to handle the situation.

It takes you 3-6 seconds to react? Keep your hands on your mouse and keyboard and your reaction times will soar.

Open mic is ok if a single person is doing it, but when you have more than one person with voice activation you will get feedback. Even those of us using headsets will often feedback due to the sensitivity of the mic and the volume of the headset. It's a horrible idea, and if you are unable to take a split second to press a button that is right next to WASD you need to practice it, simple as that. It's not a very complicated system, it's simple to rebind to find your own personal comfort zone. If you cannot find a comfortable way to press a button I believe that is your problem and you should not be allowed to destroy another players eardrums/headset because you feel your reaction time is impaired.

This isn't taking into account that a single player using VA and speakers will utterly wreck the ingame comms just by cueing up when anyone else has anything to transmit, and in this game players have a tendancy to step on eachothers transmission....A LOT. If you combine the feedback with the filter applied to the comms you can really get this awesome phaser effect, I mean it's awesome if you're already deaf.

If you want to use a VA comms system there are plenty of alternatives, and I know it's pretty much against the grain to suggest using a VOIP system other than ingame but doing so would show respect to those you are playing with. In the end I feel it's all a matter of respecting other peoples right to NOT have to listen to you opening a bag of chips or talking with your girlfriend, by using voice activation you are showing little to no respect to the ears of those you are gaming with.

PS: The past few days I have been actually getting headache from the comms spam in both Squad and PR, I believe being SL and trying to absorb all the info thrust onto me at once plays a large part. Having players using Voice Activation would amplify the issue, but that is something personal and I'm unsure how many other people are affected by this.

I end up kicking Voice Activation guys out of my squads. Sorry, it's just not fair to other players to hear all the unnecessary noise.

(Also, I am fairly certain I have mild Misophonia, and the sound of your breathing makes me hate you ;))

Voice activation would put me off playing for the reasons stated by others. There's nothing worse than hearing the constant hum in your ear. It's why I refuse to let most people use it because they have a crappy microphone that just gives us all a headache after a while. If you have at least a 5 button mouse, put squad and local on the mouse. Nice and easy.

It is only a lack of discipline and wrong sensivity settings

Nothing what you cant handle

Voice activation would be difficult because we have 3 channels. How do we know what channel you want to talk on at any given time? Also like people state you don't want to hear heavy breathing or someone yelling at their mom to bring them a sandwich.

Voice activation would be difficult because we have 3 channels. How do we know what channel you want to talk on at any given time? Also like people state you don't want to hear heavy breathing or someone yelling at their mom to bring them a sandwich.

“Hey ma! The meatloaf, we want it now! The meatloaf! What is she doing? I never know what she is doing back there.“

No VA please. If you're so lazy that you don't even can press a button to talk the you need to be in bed anyway.:)

For me will be perfect give the possibility to set Voice Activation only for the chat of prossimity ( V ) .

I remember a little while back PR finally made local chat team specific after people stopped using in game chat because the enemy wouldn't hear them in their Teamspeak servers. In reality, it seems the only way to get around it would be to make it so that you're pretty much broadcasting in local every time you say something. Now in my opinion, I think it's something worth looking into even if it has to be taken out after a few days of trial. Do I want to hear people talking to their mom or some shit over their microphone? No, but I also imagine your average soldier doesn't want their enemy hearing them broadcasting orders to their squad on the other side of a wall or some shit.

The basic idea of this seems to be to be that you can be heard regardless of if you're using an outside client to talk so you can't skirt around the enemy hearing you. While I do imagine there will be pricks who make this system occasionally loathsome, I believe that it's got far more potential for positives than negatives. 

Just a quick edit: Maybe I've read into this idea wrong, but the way I see it is that local chat should be force voice activation so that if you're talking, regardless of who, people can hear it. If people are abusing this system, then all I have to say is that there's a reason for moderators and admins.