Sparcany

UGL for Squad leaders

What do you guys think of providing Squad leaders with a very limited number of HE (~2) and a few smokes or flares for the UGL. I think this would add a lot of utility to the class and make squads more versatile. I don't want to see an increase in grenade spam so thrown grenades should be reduced for the SL accordingly. Fewer thrown smokes and no hand grenade. Thoughts?

oh boy did people hate it when I gave the insurgent cell leaders an UGL :P good luck hahah

oh boy did people hate it when I gave the insurgent cell leaders an UGL :P good luck hahah

I've learned to use the forum's hate to better myself. By channeling this hatred and flaming I will one day become a Sith lord.

More seriously are there any plans for Smoke grenades and flares to be launched? Insurgents sure could use a way to project smokes to close the distance to those tasty acogs.

Asymmetry is the name of the game Z-trooper.

Edited by Sparcany

40mm smoke and flares are planned yea. Smoke prioritized higher than flares for obvious reasons.

Squad leaders should be treated like they were in WW2; give them closer-range weapons so they spend less time opening fire and more time directing fire.

Squad leaders should be treated like they were in WW2; give them closer-range weapons so they spend less time opening fire and more time directing fire.

Squad leaders are given no optics which is the modern equivalent of this. Squad leaders should be given tracers and more marking options ie 40mm smoke to direct fire.

Pen flare or something to direct fire would be interesting. But you could always just give direction and distance

Aren't combat leaders supposed to have ACOG's or some sort of scope on their rifle so they can view targets? I feel like this is a thing. I also feel like Red dots are way more in use than iron sights on the M4 nowadays. Because red dots are better than iron sights... 

I used an eotech on my AR once. It almost made me spend large sums of money to get one for me. 

Aren't combat leaders supposed to have ACOG's or some sort of scope on their rifle so they can view targets? I feel like this is a thing. I also feel like Red dots are way more in use than iron sights on the M4 nowadays. Because red dots are better than iron sights... 

I used an eotech on my AR once. It almost made me spend large sums of money to get one for me. 

I am almost certain that Squad leaders are issued acogs and handguns, and often times M203s. Just because something is done in the real world doesn't mean we have to include it in game. Maybe UGL for Insurgents and Acogs for US? Z-trooper stated that he has already tried giving UGL to the Insurgent SL and was met with complaints. I would really like to see where the community stands on this subject.

Turns out that UGLs on SL's is a perfect example of how gameplay > realism.

- It incentivices the lone wolf types to create a new squad to get the UGL (and thus bad SLs)

- Incentivices many smaller squads to get more 'cool/deadly' guns = less probablility of teamwork occuring

- Increases grenade spam

Realism = not conductive to gameplay in this instance.

So yeah. Lesson learned - don't make the SL an over powered rifleman for free, or bad things will happen, and you will encourage bad game play too.

- It incentivices the lone wolf types to create a new squad to get the UGL (and thus bad SLs)

- Incentivices many smaller squads to get more 'cool/deadly' guns = less probablility of teamwork occuring

- Increases grenade spam

Realism = not conductive to gameplay in this instance.

So yeah. Lesson learned - don't make the SL an over powered rifleman for free, or bad things will happen, and you will encourage bad game play too.

Would it be possible to provide them UGLs for the purpose of marking targets? Letting a SL choose between an Acog or M203 for smokes/flares could be an idea. Otherwise is it possible to give squad leaders a higher tracer count, to help direct fire?

SL already has Binoculars, just add UGL and only marker grenades. that way they can direct fire and engage less.

Would it be possible to provide them UGLs for the purpose of marking targets? Letting a SL choose between an Acog or M203 for smokes/flares could be an idea. Otherwise is it possible to give squad leaders a higher tracer count, to help direct fire?

It is possible and a lot of this stuff will come in to play when we have our desired kit customization system. But that is quite far away right now.

And currently only the SL has tracers for his rifle, along with LMGs of course. For the purpose of marking targets ;)

To reinforce this statement, but kind of not...not giving the SL the UGL (for US) is actually realistic.

At least in the Marines, SLs almost never carried 203s, SLs and TLs tend to have to much shit to do for that to be practical, we usually just end up giving it to a rifleman. It's a lot easier to control a 203 gunner if all you have to do is yell at a guy to fire at something, instead of trying to juggle maneuvering three fire teams and talk on three different radio freqs. while in contact.

Maybe some of the other "modern" Marines around here can attest to that, but the two units I was in, SLs and most of the time TLs did not carry 203s. I was both and I never did. *shrug*

Anyways, gameplay wise, we could just give the SL pen flares, regular flares, and of course they already have smokes. Otherwise, the grenadiers will have access to smokes and flares, so if you are an SL, just do what is actually what we do, make your 203 gunner mark targets...teamwork baby!

Yeah, you're right SgtRoss. My unit did the same thing.

What about having the first 5-10 rounds of every mag for the SL be tracers? We did that in Marjah for a bit until the locals got pissed cuz there would be tiny fires everywhere after our firefights hahaha. Hearts and minds el oh el

Yeah, you're right SgtRoss. My unit did the same thing.

What about having the first 5-10 rounds of every mag for the SL be tracers? We did that in Marjah for a bit until the locals got pissed cuz there would be tiny fires everywhere after our firefights hahaha. Hearts and minds el oh el

I would love to see more tracers.

To reinforce this statement, but kind of not...not giving the SL the UGL (for US) is actually realistic.

At least in the Marines, SLs almost never carried 203s, SLs and TLs tend to have to much shit to do for that to be practical, we usually just end up giving it to a rifleman. It's a lot easier to control a 203 gunner if all you have to do is yell at a guy to fire at something, instead of trying to juggle maneuvering three fire teams and talk on three different radio freqs. while in contact.

Maybe some of the other "modern" Marines around here can attest to that, but the two units I was in, SLs and most of the time TLs did not carry 203s. I was both and I never did. *shrug*

Anyways, gameplay wise, we could just give the SL pen flares, regular flares, and of course they already have smokes. Otherwise, the grenadiers will have access to smokes and flares, so if you are an SL, just do what is actually what we do, make your 203 gunner mark targets...teamwork baby!

Well if this is the case how could we better enable the Squad leader to mark targets? How would the pen flare work? Would it be possible to have "Tracer Mags" like in arma? Where you could selectively load a magazine of all FMJ, Red Tracers, White, Blue, Rainbow etc?

And currently only the SL has tracers for his rifle, along with LMGs of course. For the purpose of marking targets ;)

Follow my tracers!!!  :P

Seriously though, good idea on dropping the UGL for SL's currently on the basis of just having 40mm explosive grenades and not wanting the OP SL kit as incentive for squad spamming. And I definitely like the idea of having smoke 40mm rounds to be able to put down effective smoke cover as grenadier. That would be great.

-edit- As noted below, would it be possible to give the squad leader a UGL but only equip them with smoke grenades as ammo for it? (when they're added obviously) That way the grenadier still has a distinct role, but the SL has the ability to lay more effective covering smoke at distance.

I'd really like 40mm smokes as an SL. I'd also really like more than one person equipped with binoculars. Perhaps both of my FTLs, and ofc the Recon kit, if and when that shows up.

I feel like way more people should have the option to have them, because frankly, not many people use them. I see them as one of those very underrated squad-level tools that can be extremely useful if employed correctly, but it takes people with an actual working level understanding of strategy to know how to do.

Easy to use, hard to master, type of thing?