Bashar

Restricted uniform customization

Hi y'all!

Second suggestion here, how about customizable uniforms?

Not as in dickbutt plate-carriers, hello kitty backpacks or swastika armbands but think of a faction based 'pool' (thought up, constructed & approved by the Devs) of gear that people can choose from & apply the factions camo on, which in turn is decided based on the conflict-theatre (desert/arid = desert camo, forest/jungle = woodland camo etc etc). 

All majors factions would get their own urban, forest, desert & snow camo along with a solid version whilst the insurgents get their own solid BDU along with a mish-mash of civilian gear. (jeans & sneakers for example)

In order to get a better understanding of what I am suggesting, I drew up an example of how it can look:
sA7g7Rp.jpg

Above example is the following:

Faction: Iran
Theatre: Middle East
Uniform: Iran-desert-camo/Iran-desert-solid

So you pick the uniform (camo/solid/mix both pants & shirt) then you pick each type of gear for each body part - head - face - chest - elbow - abdomen - upper leg - knee - feet - and you apply the faction camo of the type of gear. All the variations are already in the game, you just equip the ones that you find most appealing.

Possibilites: Endless!

I think this is a win-win suggestion, think about it. It keeps the uniformity of the faction as well as gets rid of all the clone-soldiers that can be found in other games. It dosent make the immersion worse with f'ed up symbols & shit but instead adds variety & allows you to add your own touch to your own character.

It should be duly noted that it is meerly aesthetical, it will not have any impact on the game other than visual. I searched & found another thread that suggested that armor should be give protection bonus & whatnot but that sort of puts the insurgents square in the dirt from the very beginning. So yeah, no. No impact on the game mechanics. Only visual.

What say you? Yeah? Nay? What does the Devs think? Is this something you might implement?

I WANT BALACLAVA!!!

I wouldn't mind a bit of kit customization; as long as it says on the main menu and not the in-game menu. Nothing to much though.

That actually is a great idea. I don't think they would implement it this early though... 

A lot of differentiating among at least the US military is a thing now. I know different packs are used (think Condor and the like) and being at a National Guard conference in August there was a lot of ACU's mixed up with the Mulitcam (Whatever it is called now I don't remember) and as far as I know, there aren't really any set rules for which helmet you use. You have the ACH and it's variants. While it will be pretty standard throughout there are things that could be done. I mean there are even combat shirts worn now instead of the standard issued things. 

Even if it was a removal of a helmet and nothing, or a balcalva, or a hat. To get personal even my grandpa in Korea would take off his steel helmet whenever he could and sometimes did not even bring it with him. Smart or not everybody did that, he seemed okay with three tours coming out 98% OK just without most of his right pointer finger. 

There isn't that much customization going on in units of conventional forces

ehhh i dont think this is entirely true. plus i think what the OPs main point is to ~allow aesthetic customization of a players character WITHIN THE LIMITS of whatever force they are playing as~

dont look at the one photo they provided and entirely write off the whole idea.

No thanks, this is just too much. There isn't that much customization going on in units of conventional forces, so I'm against it. 

Then I suggest you take a closer look at the goverment forces in current conflicts around the world, for example Syria, Ukraine, Chechnya, Iraq, Afghanistan - just to name a few. The 'clone soldier' is always a prefered state for governments, just look how the Ukrainian Army paraded their troops, all uniform & neat before the dramatic change of government - Now, they look almost like insurgents with camos & gear with all kinds of origins, TTSKO, Multicam, US gear, Soviet gear, German gear.

ehhh i dont think this is entirely true. plus i think what the OPs main point is to ~allow aesthetic customization of a players character WITHIN THE LIMITS of whatever force they are playing as~

dont look at the one photo they provided and entirely write off the whole idea.

Exactly.

My suggestion is about having the US faction being able to choose between different mag pouches, plate carriers, vests, headgear & other that is only avalible to the US faction - along with a standardized camo that is also ONLY for the US faction. 

I am NOT suggesting that like in BF3, everyone can wear the same camo, having US soldiers running around in russian flora camoflauge.

Has anybody seen "Generation Kill"? There was a moment, when marines almost killed their buddy, cause he was wearing old soviet helmet.

When I play PR, I'm trying to kill everybody, who doesn't look like or my buddies. And It works all the time. That is why some outfit elements should be fixed for convencial forces: uniform pattern, helmet and gear base colour. Accessories and other stuff could be customizable.

Second question, is it easy enough to overhaul current player system and make it customizable? In that case it should be putted in the end of "to do" list due to total gameplay insagnificance.

i like it then again every thing i like gets shot down so thats my guess on this as well

In an attempt to clarify & complement my initial suggestion I whipped up an example that goes to show that every faction gets its own set of camo, ger & uniform style - but you get to choose from any of them WITHIN YOUR OWN FACTION to create a unique setup.
UdKUAs0.jpg

This also goes for other camos, such as woodland/forest camo, urban/city camo, snow/mountain camo & so on. 

i like it then again every thing i like gets shot down so thats my guess on this as well

Hahahaha! No come on brother, get your self-asteem up! Together we are strong! :lol:

I don't think aesthetic customisation really fits with what Squad is going for. It promotes individuality, which runs against the teamwork oriented gameplay. I know most people are going to think that's a dumb reason not to include it but when you're designing a game you have some core pillars of gameplay that are refereed to whenever you're thinking of adding something, and I don't see aesthetic customisation fitting with Squads core concepts.

On top of that, creating a system that records and keeps track of what everyone is wearing in a match would actually require quite a bit of effort to create and maintain.

I say this as someone who loves customisation in games. But feature creep is a real thing that needs to be avoided, and I know the Squad team is being very careful in what they decide to put effort into.

Would be cool but i would much prefer just scope options for player customization and of course iron sights for each kit expect marksmen and such..

3wVVHhI.jpg

b66x7tS.jpg

kRbxvbL.jpg

TqHxEB6.jpg

Customization makes the world go 'round!

I love the examples you whipped up here, Bashar, and I personally think this suggestion would compliment the simple weapon customization that has also been mentioned in past posts as something the dev team was playing around with. Essentially, it would just be a re-texture project of already preexisting models, with the addition of a few small things (i.e. balaclavas, and alternate vest, or pouch kit).

I don't think aesthetic customisation really fits with what Squad is going for. It promotes individuality, which runs against the teamwork oriented gameplay. I know most people are going to think that's a dumb reason not to include it but when you're designing a game you have some core pillars of gameplay that are refereed to whenever you're thinking of adding something, and I don't see aesthetic customisation fitting with Squads core concepts.

On top of that, creating a system that records and keeps track of what everyone is wearing in a match would actually require quite a bit of effort to create and maintain.

I say this as someone who loves customisation in games. But feature creep is a real thing that needs to be avoided, and I know the Squad team is being very careful in what they decide to put effort into.

With that reasoning the devs should not be working on the different types of AK's, you should only be able to have the AK74 that is already in game, since having several types of AK's promotes individuality, really?

I mean really?

I think you are grasping for straws here my friend.

If anything restricted customization promotes Squad Unity, having one or several small, but yet distinguishable features that seperates you & your squad from the rest of the team, yet still retaining the uniformity of the army. 

What really limits teamwork & promotes individualism is for example individual-operated APC's & tanks, like in Battlefield 3 & 4 where 1 person can operate both the driving & shooting mechanics. In contrast, Red Orchestra promoted teamwork in their vehicular gameplay by having 1 man be the driver, 1 man be the gunner & 1 man be the hull-MG-gunner.

Unlimited stamina & low-recoil small arms also promoted individualism since you can just scoot around at top speed & shoot everything you see & then scoot off in another direction.

With that reasoning the devs should not be working on the different types of AK's, you should only be able to have the AK74 that is already in game, since having several types of AK's promotes individuality, really?

I mean really?

I think you are grasping for straws here my friend.

If anything restricted customization promotes Squad Unity, having one or several small, but yet distinguishable features that seperates you & your squad from the rest of the team, yet still retaining the uniformity of the army. 

What really limits teamwork & promotes individualism is for example individual-operated APC's & tanks, like in Battlefield 3 & 4 where 1 person can operate both the driving & shooting mechanics. In contrast, Red Orchestra promoted teamwork in their vehicular gameplay by having 1 man be the driver, 1 man be the gunner & 1 man be the hull-MG-gunner.

Unlimited stamina & low-recoil small arms also promoted individualism since you can just scoot around at top speed & shoot everything you see & then scoot off in another direction.

The difference between aesthetic customisation and kit customisation is that one directly affects the way you play, there is a tactical reason to choose an AK74 over an AK47 or a certain scope depending on what your squad is doing.

I'm not trying to say that aesthetic customisation would cause every player to run off and do their own thing, I'm just saying it does not reflect the core tenants of team play and authenticity, and with the resources the Devs have there is no reason to design and create a system to support it.

Also, that other stuff about vehicles, stamina and recoil has nothing to do with what I said.

The difference between aesthetic customisation and kit customisation is that one directly affects the way you play, there is a tactical reason to choose an AK74 over an AK47 or a certain scope depending on what your squad is doing.

I'm not trying to say that aesthetic customisation would cause every player to run off and do their own thing, I'm just saying it does not reflect the core tenants of team play and authenticity, and with the resources the Devs have there is no reason to design and create a system to support it.

Also, that other stuff about vehicles, stamina and recoil has nothing to do with what I said.

Never really said it did, only that such features have a much greater impact on teamplay than wether or not you have Vest A or Vest B.

Customization makes the world go 'round!

I love the examples you whipped up here, Bashar, and I personally think this suggestion would compliment the simple weapon customization that has also been mentioned in past posts as something the dev team was playing around with. Essentially, it would just be a re-texture project of already preexisting models, with the addition of a few small things (i.e. balaclavas, and alternate vest, or pouch kit).

Yeah, I mean, the Devs have to make the different vests & magpouches anyways (unless they are going for the 'clone war' which I hope & dont really think they are), why not implement a system where you simply add the prefered pouch to your person? 

​With respect, I have really no idea of how much resources such a system would take but I find it very hard to imagine that it would be very costly. If they are going to do it with guns, should not a similar system be possible with vests & pouches?

Limited customization would be neat depending on how hard it is to add. Even if you could pick between a few preset soldier models that'd be enough to add variety. Coordinated matching Squads/Clans would add to immersion.

People around here have weird imaginations. Let's add goats, but we can't rationalize uniform customization in a way that'd be practical unless somebody spells it out for us. lolol.

+1 for OP, I like your idea. 

People around here have weird imaginations. Let's add goats, but we can't rationalize uniform customization in a way that'd be practical unless somebody spells it out for us. lolol.

+1 for OP, I like your idea. 

I'v got an idea, dinosaurs. Dinosaurs everywhere!

Honestly though, a good compromise would be just having multiple character models for each class that are then picked at random. Boom, you get some variety, devs have control, and you maintain a general theme to all of your soldiers

Honestly though, a good compromise would be just having multiple character models for each class that are then picked at random. Boom, you get some variety, devs have control, and you maintain a general theme to all of your soldiers

i see this actually happening TBH