Scotty Dont NZ

Possible 7.1 sound issues.

So I got a new pair of 7.1 headphones yesterday and they are great so far, except in this game. The issue I am having is that the spread of gunshots is not spreading evenly throughout the 7.1 range. Example, when looking staight ahead at someone firing the sound comes through both earcups, start turning slowly and one earcup completely goes silent and the other is loud. It does ot sound natural at all. It also is not given a accurate location of the gunfire. It pretty much sounds like the game is in Stereo and not 7.1. Other games I have tried seem fine, GTAV, BF4 MGSV. It could be that there is very little ambient noise in this game to mask the silence in one ear. The other games I have played have lots of ambient noise that help create the 7.1 effect because I'm hearing through both cups at once not just one. I have made sure that the headset is setup right, and reinstalled drivers etc.

Also, when people talk I get a static crackling noise, like it cant handle the frequency or something. Really annoying. My last 7.1 headset did not have these issues, but my new one sounds great in other games.

Anybody else noticing this?

I've been using 7.1 and its performed beautifully. I would like to warn you that 7.1 is not only a bitch to get used to but also is a huge pain in the ass to properly configure. Go through your manufacturers forum for settings and work from there. Welcome to the family fellow audiophile.

I left that info out on purpose because people tend to have there favorite's and straight away try to blame the headset brand rather than focus on the issues. Maybe it is a limitation with the headset, who knows. I have used many headsets makes and models in the past and all of them have there pros and cons. But since you asked, I was using a Razer Kraken Chroma and now the brand new Turtle beach Stealth 450's, because I needed wireless so I can use Big picture on the couch. To be honest, the best pair I have used still are the old Turtle Beach X41's for the Xbox 360, since then I have never found a pair I like. Always something not quite right with them.

I have a plantronics 7.1 headset,  I turn off the dobly digital sound watever because it dows not allow for directional sounds.

If they are 7.1 headphones You should have surround set to on. Unless your saying squad does not support 7.1? Sparcany, they are definitely DTS 7.1 surround sound with the DTS drivers installed and audio set to 7.1 through windows. Exactly how the manual says.

Just a heads up, having "7.1 surround" doesn't make you an audiophile lol. It is actually called "virtual 7.1 surround" because it's a processed sound. Having a legit audiophile setup requires spending a good chunk of change on a STEREO set of headphones, along with an amp and DAC. I spent a little over $350 for my first audiophile setup. AKG 612k pro headphones, Mod Mic, Schiit amp and Schiit DAC. You'll never touch a "gaming headset" again once you use a true Stereo audiophile grade headphone setup, I guarantee it. To the OP, it might not be done yet, this is alpha. 

PS-I had those Turtles for the 360 as well, they were badass till the cable broke, 7 years later...

You indicated that your last set didn't have these problems. Can u try those to confirm the problem goes away? If so, suspect a problem with the new headphones(h/w or s/w)

Just a heads up, having "7.1 surround" doesn't make you an audiophile lol. It is actually called "virtual 7.1 surround" because it's a processed sound. Having a legit audiophile setup requires spending a good chunk of change on a STEREO set of headphones, along with an amp and DAC. I spent a little over $350 for my first audiophile setup. AKG 612k pro headphones, Mod Mic, Schiit amp and Schiit DAC. You'll never touch a "gaming headset" again once you use a true Stereo audiophile grade headphone setup, I guarantee it. To the OP, it might not be done yet, this is alpha. 

PS-I had those Turtles for the 360 as well, they were badass till the cable broke, 7 years later...

I got my setup for just under 300. Surround sound gaming headsets are a gateway drug to subwoofers and amps didn't you know?

You indicated that your last set didn't have these problems. Can u try those to confirm the problem goes away? If so, suspect a problem with the new headphones(h/w or s/w)

Will give it a try, but I suspect they will be fine, they use different drivers from my new one. Further investigation does in-fact show other games use the same, but better sound direction placement but with all the ambient noise and more accurate sound placement it does not sound unnatural. So maybe it is meant to sound like that. What I am used to is a gunshot coming out of both ear cups but louder or softer to one side. I also think, as you turn fast in-game while a sound is playing it does not jump from channel to channel, seems to miss some channels and go straight from in front of you, to behind you or beside you. Its pretty hard to explain, without hearing it for yourself.

I've been using 7.1 and its performed beautifully. I would like to warn you that 7.1 is not only a bitch to get used to but also is a huge pain in the ass to properly configure. Go through your manufacturers forum for settings and work from there. Welcome to the family fellow audiophile.

I think 99% of audiophiles would never ever ever use 7.1 headphone. All you need to experience surround sound is normal headphones and a proper sound engine or virtual surround system. You only have 2 ears

So you use a Schiit DAC to take a multi channel Audio and create a virtual surround mix for headphones?

I use a Soundblaster card for such purposes but didn't think those USB DACs had CMSS-3D or similar.

I think 99% of audiophiles would never ever ever use 7.1 headphone. All you need to experience surround sound is normal headphones and a proper sound engine or virtual surround system. You only have 2 ears

Any kind of high quality headset with directional sound hardware or software based is a solid choice for a headset. If you want to be prim go buy a set of actual surround sound system. I just like throwing the word audiophile around to sound like a cool kid too, this is my first official "audiophile audit."

So you use a Schiit DAC to take a multi channel Audio and create a virtual surround mix for headphones?

I use a Soundblaster card for such purposes but didn't think those USB DACs had CMSS-3D or similar.

They don't, they're just what their name is - Digitial-to-Ananolog Audio Converter. We wouldn't even need virtual surround like CMSS-3D if game devs weren't lazy and made proper stereo mixing for headphones. We have 2 ears and headphones over them, no need for artificial surround.

Any kind of high quality headset with directional sound hardware or software based is a solid choice for a headset. If you want to be prim go buy a set of actual surround sound system. I just like throwing the word audiophile around to sound like a cool kid too, this is my first official "audiophile audit."

Not really as vast majority of headsets are overpriced garbage. Just the fact that most USB headsets come with a built-in sound card says enough. Do you really thing those built-in things can replace a whole piece of dedicated sound hardware?

It was said many years ago that CPUs are now powerful enough for us to not need a dedicated sound card and rather get a software solution. Since then nothing really beats the, now old, X-Fi lineup of cards. It's pathetic and people don't really care because they "enjoy" their crappy headsets. You can't know how bad it is until you try something proper.

Virtual reality is the last hope for proper sound positioning.

/rant

They don't, they're just what their name is - Digitial-to-Ananolog Audio Converter. We wouldn't even need virtual surround like CMSS-3D if game devs weren't lazy and made proper stereo mixing for headphones. We have 2 ears and headphones over them, no need for artificial surround.

Not really as vast majority of headsets are overpriced garbage. Just the fact that most USB headsets come with a built-in sound card says enough. Do you really thing those built-in things can replace a whole piece of dedicated sound hardware?

It was said many years ago that CPUs are now powerful enough for us to not need a dedicated sound card and rather get a software solution. Since then nothing really beats the, now old, X-Fi lineup of cards. It's pathetic and people don't really care because they "enjoy" their crappy headsets. You can't know how bad it is until you try something proper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZNgiAAqJRE

Virtual reality is the last hope for proper sound positioning.

/rant

If the game was using OpenAL, you wouldn't need a sound card or onboard sound to create proper positional audio through headsets. Hardly anyone uses OpenAL in Windows anymore it seems.

So in the absence of that, you either play in stereo, use surround sound speakers (or multi channel headphones -yuck), or use software/hardware techniques such as CMSS-3D or Dolby Headphones.

Though I agree with your statement about the x-fi, I thought you were making an argument against virtual surround (which is a feature in x-fi)

On the topic at hand, does anyone know what kind of format Squad is outputting audio? Is it stereo or surround? I mean there's definitely directionality in the audio but it's not pin point accurate like in say Bf3/4 or Half Life

These guys pretty much summed it up for me. Thanks guys. I was skeptical about the headphone purchase but once I had them, it was night and day. I'll never buy a "gaming headset" again. The mod mic is great except it wont stick to the mesh on my phones. Going to replace it with a stand mic in the future. Sound for this game isn't too bad, not as precise as other shooter's but pretty good for being at the Alpha stage. 

These guys pretty much summed it up for me. Thanks guys. I was skeptical about the headphone purchase but once I had them, it was night and day. I'll never buy a "gaming headset" again. The mod mic is great except it wont stick to the mesh on my phones. Going to replace it with a stand mic in the future. Sound for this game isn't too bad, not as precise as other shooter's but pretty good for being at the Alpha stage.

What set of cans did you end up getting?

I just purchased a gaming headset, the HyperX Cloud (original), from Kingston. Yeah, it's a gaming headset (stereo), but got great reviews for sound quality, sound stage, and positional accuracy

There is gaming headsets out there with true 7.1 with 10 drivers. Not virtual. Just not cheap.

There is gaming headsets out there with true 7.1 with 10 drivers. Not virtual. Just not cheap.

That's far worse than virtual surround. Having 8 shitty speakers instead of 1 is stupid and makes for overpriced garbage.

That's far worse than virtual surround. Having 8 shitty speakers instead of 1 is stupid and makes for overpriced garbage.

lol -- i don't agree.  Might not be 'the' best, but much better than 1 speaker.  1 speaker ain't giving you anything.

lol -- i don't agree.  Might not be 'the' best, but much better than 1 speaker.  1 speaker ain't giving you anything.

Every good headphones ever are 1 speaker/ ear. Having 6 or 8 separate speakers either means it would be 6-8x price or very low quality speakers (which is what they are). I don't know of a single decent 5/7.1 headphones.

Posted (edited)

If you do not believe me, feel free to ask SB yourself, even virtual surround, the old SB-Z card CANNOT do true 7.1 SS.  Read the fine print and company's support chat if you cannot find an exact answer.

I bought Hypercloud X 7.1 and had SB-Z and sound was OFF, only by a bit, but it was OFF (not on point).  I bought an ASUS SOAR 7.1 (I know yuck ASUS) and sound is on point AS LONG as it is set to 16 bit sound.  At 24 bit sound, the sound is not on point again.

So, summary.  Sound card HAS to support 7.1 to work with 7.1 surround head sets.  If you cannot find exact answer, ask before buying.  Set ASUS sound to 16 bits NOT 24.

Edit:  Current SOAR settings, Stereo (2 speaker mode), windows Spacial 7.1 sound on, 16 bit sound, and sound is perfect!

Edited by H4ilToTheKing