Tartantyco

What Tools And Features Would You Like To See For Servers?

Definedly a good thing to adjust rotation based on the amount of players. It is just frustrating to try to play with 30 players something that is designed to be 100 players map.

One thing that I have suggested many times in Nologic forums (without any response) is adaptive map assets so the amount of ie. tanks or vehicle spawn times depends on number of players on server, so the map doesn't turn to vehicle spam. In that game there is some official maps that are designed to be heavy combined arms maps designed to have 120+ players and they are just torture with 40 players since there is always a tank waiting in some of the bases, so it turns tank noobing. Such spam eats playerbase. There just haven't been a thread for it here I haven't had, reason or another, motivation to create one.

Vote map is a kind of risk tho, if the playerbase isn't mature enough there is 1 or 2 maps that are played.

Now there is a thread for it: http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/684-adaptive-maps/

I would like a server administration utility that allows for full control of the server outside of the game. Take HLSW for example. This is an excellent utility that I wish were expanded to more games. It makes running a server MUCH easier due to what it has access to.

Either that or collaborate with a 3rd party developer that makes and keeps the software updated and useable like the program listed above.

I would like a server administration utility that allows for full control of the server outside of the game. Take HLSW for example. This is an excellent utility that I wish were expanded to more games. It makes running a server MUCH easier due to what it has access to.

Either that or collaborate with a 3rd party developer that makes and keeps the software updated and useable like the program listed above.

Ohh, isn't that have been always the case with servers. :o

A whitelist function for servers. (eg. Your name has to be in the list to be able to join.) Servers can set up their own websites that outline the rules and language of the server. To play on the server, you go to its website, complete the application form, and then your name is automatically added to the whitelist. Ideally, the application form has some easy questions that test if you speak the server's language and tests knowledge of basic rules like 'Do not use a logistics truck as a personal taxi'.

A whitelist function for servers. (eg. Your name has to be in the list to be able to join.) Servers can set up their own websites that outline the rules and language of the server. To play on the server, you go to its website, complete the application form, and then your name is automatically added to the whitelist. Ideally, the application form has some easy questions that test if you speak the server's language and tests knowledge of basic rules like 'Do not use a logistics truck as a personal taxi'.

Wouldn't it be just easier to make option that server can be password accessible only and that owner can chance or disable the need in anytime he/she wants. Then you don't need any silly forms etc. and complex databases and server communication for just making something private or not.

There could still be some pre-info page shown in the same screen where the password input field is so the owner can make standalone form in his own webpage/servers steam group which gives the correct password to player if he have proofed that he can play as owner wants..

"if you speak the server's language?" No

'Do not use a logistics truck as a personal taxi?' It depends.

:P

But then if just 1 person leaks the server password, then anyone can join the server.

And anyways a whitelist system isn't exactly a difficult thing to implement and it isn't a very intensive thing for servers to handle. I'm not a web programmer, but this kind of thing is very common in multiplayer servers where you want to keep the troublemakers out and it's really quite effective compared to manually finding and banning every single troublemaker who gets in.

So for example, if I hosted a server I would make my application form like this:

Username:

From the Following Pictures, Select the ones that depict a Dog.

What is seventeen minus two?

What is the historic capital of Scotland?

Do you acknowledge that breaking any of the server rules will result in removal from the whitelist?

It's not going to stop every single troublemaker out there, but it'll definitely cut down on a lot of bullshit that the admins have to deal with on a daily basis.

But then if just 1 person leaks the server password, then anyone can join the server.

And anyways a whitelist system isn't exactly a difficult thing to implement and it isn't a very intensive thing for servers to handle. I'm not a web programmer, but this kind of thing is very common in multiplayer servers where you want to keep the troublemakers out and it's really quite effective compared to manually finding and banning every single troublemaker who gets in.

So for example, if I hosted a server I would make my application form like this:

Username:

From the Following Pictures, Select the ones that depict a Dog.

What is seventeen minus two?

What is the historic capital of Scotland?

Do you acknowledge that breaking any of the server rules will result in removal from the whitelist?

It's not going to stop every single troublemaker out there, but it'll definitely cut down on a lot of bullshit that the admins have to deal with on a daily basis.

As much as you would like this to help, it won't. All this will do is frustrate players that will then go somewhere else that doesn't make them do this. Do you not see how maddening this will be to players?

I'll tell you this much, as a former server owner and admin, I would never play on any server that implemented this. Too much effort to play. Open servers are there for a reason as are private.

Should there be some X amount of Soft Bans for server admin/mod toolcase.. Like AssetBAN or something like on that lines. It could be pretty ugly at the beginning if first weeks of squad some totally new player used to those arcade shooters gets banned for let say 3 first servers he try to play just because he can't handle ie. helicopters. Personally I can imagine I would be pissed off if I paid let say 30 money for a online game and get banned for "every" server.

Server Side API would be a major plus, one that allows you to hook server functions remotely so server admins can create tools or features to help gameplay and administration. :)

- a teambalancer that is considering clantags and skills

- an admin control panel to adjust server settings ingame

- linux server binaries on release

- support for tools to administrate and monitor outgame

Contorl over automatic teamkill limit vefore a ban.

ability to set timer on afkers.

Ability to right click a person name a hit ban or kick.

Ability to set factions for each map.

I would like to see how much time is left in a match and what's the next map(if there is a rotation), before I join a server.

I would like to see how much time is left in a match and what's the next map(if there is a rotation), before I join a server.

Most rounds don't end due to time out (rather tickets getting depleted) and thus wouldn't the opposite, how long the round has been going, make more sense?

8 minutes ago, Psyrus said:

Most rounds don't end due to time out (rather tickets getting depleted) and thus wouldn't the opposite, how long the round has been going, make more sense?

I mean sure, but since every round is the same length, it really doesn't make much difference.