tryMichal

Console (maybe Mobile) Versions.

TAKE MY MONEY!!!

As i have a life outside gaming and with having a familly i am unable to lock myself inside a room with a super PC and a bucket to dump in. I have to go with a console to sneek a couple of hours every night to game.

Sir, are you aware that many PC gamers these days play their PC from the couch with a gamepad on their big screen TV, just like a console with better graphics and games? 99% of new PC games over the last few years offer gamepad support out of the box and there are numerous programs to give it to those that don't.

Steam has big picture mode giving you a console like interface to buy/install/manage you PC library with? You might consider selling your console and building a small form factor PC for your living room if you'd like to play Squad without having to give up the big comfy couch.

Not to mention any money you spend on PC hardware will returned eventually with savings during Steam sales. You have no idea how much cash you save buying games when you play PC.

Although you are correct that both the XB1 and PS4 are using slightly modified off the shelf PC hardware and the APU chips in the current consoles are very similar to current x86-64 AMD PC offerings, they are not exactly the same nor is programming for them. 

When you develop on console you only have one hardware configuration that you can optimize heavily, as opposed to dozens of different graphics card, RAM and processor combinations available on the enthusiast PC market. Because you know exactly what hardware everyone will be playing on, you can optimize you software much more than you can on PC. Just look at what developers were able to do graphically with the PS3 long after the hardware was outdated because they knew how to pull every possible bit of performance out of the thing. 

So yes, the current consoles could run a port of Squad. You could even manage to adapt it to a gamepad well enough I'm sure. But do enough console gamers actually want to play Squad to justify the cost of a port? The answer to that is almost certainly not, this type of game generally doesn't exist on consoles and few realism based shooters have ever found a home/playerbase outside of the PC.

The way I understood it, developing for consoles (Atleast PS4 and Xbox One, anyways) is not THAT different from developing for PCs. Atleast not half as different as you make it out to be. One of the main differences basically lies in the low-overhead API that consoles are based on that let's you assign various tasks to specific resource, allowing you to performs certain tasks simultaneously and making every resource work at 100% all the time. PCs are also capable of this, but haven't had the feature because of it's old and inefficient APIs. Now that DX12 and Vulkan are being released with that exact feature (Asynchronous Computing), that difference is more or less gone.

Also, the way you describe optimizing for a certain hardware-configuration. You make it sound like consoles are magically capable of pushing more calculations than they are actually capable of. Optimizing, the way I think you are talking about, means getting the best graphics out of hardware-configuration. This means that the developers tweak various effects such as shadows (Quality, render distance), anti-aliasing, ambient occlusion, bloom etc. to make sure every part of the hardware is working as hard as possible at all times. This tweaking-process can be easily handed over to the consumer to get the most out of their PC hardware.

This is just how I've understood things, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyways, my point is that consoles are already pushed to the limits in terms of processing power. I highly doubt they'd be able to run the full version of Squad without drastic changes to the gameplay and graphics.

I (if only I) would love to see games like this change what is the usual console release. Everything is the same and I'm sick of it. With games the size of GTA and Battlefield, this could be very possible, with a pop up menu for the necessary options to make up for limited keys/buttons in this case. I envy those who are able to play games as immersive as Battlefield 2 with the PR mod. I understand that some things just can't be done, but if it's at all possible, please keep the console gamers in mind and throw those of us who appreciate realism shooters something for COD developers to lose sleep over. 

Come on guys, lay the fuck off consoles, enough with your PC master race bullshit, stop attacking consoles if you don't even own or play them, I happen to own a PS4 and a gaming PC and I greatly prefer the PS4, I only use the gaming PC for games like this, that are only on PC.