Chuc

Animation Update - M4 mag change

The rifle/arm should sway a bit when the magazine is inserted. In that animation it remains fixed but in reality a person would have some arm sway since the rifle is a mass being held out like that, especially with a magazine being inserted.

Pretty dope. After hitting the mag at the bottom. Why does the anime hit the weapon also?

Your character does this when there's no bullet in the chamber. When he hits the side he's pushing the bolt release button that closes the bolt and chambers a new round in the gun, allowing you to fire it.

Doom724   

I think the slapping of the mag release is over-exaggerated.  If you're going for speed and have any training, you're not going to need to look at where it is to slap your palm against it.  It also doesn't need that much force to actuate.  Could quicken up the reload a considerable amount unless it's done for balance purposes.

People with "higher training" only put 28 rounds in their mags to have it seat easier, allowing a faster reload, for a 30 round mags, the slapping is just perfect. The time it takes is pretty accurate for a well trained soldier (regular infantry)

chaz69   

Not all mags are created equal, love taps help. Banging your mag off of your helmet like in the movies will bend the feed lips (flare out, causing failure to seat mag correctly and gives more wiggle room for rounds to pop out when love taps are given. Polymer mags get ya killed.

Horizon   

Shit, seeing this thread pass by again makes me wonder where chuc's been? U still out there Chuc? I want to give you some of my manlove. In a good way, but not in the weird way. 

Dorset_   

Any US servicemen can confirm this as such? At least in the British Armed forces, it is frowned upon slamming the magazine into the rifle like depicted.

I'd agree in terms of the British Armed Forces - don't want to dislodge any rounds on top of the magazine!

DEVAZZOR   

As an animator and modeller myself I know the difficulty with animating organic characters, so of course there's ups and downs with this reload animation. In third-person it's not an issue (not so much focus on it) but the first-person animation is great. I like how it already is but I do have two issues with the last part of the animation:

1. In reality there's no need to smack/clap the magazine unless it's very damaged (still looks cool though). This may no be 100% true, but from my own experience it has worked for me.
  2. It's very fast when he smacks/claps the magazine, and I would myself decreased the speed by atleast 25%. It needs to feel strong visualy, but right now it's almost at teleporting speed.

Overall, it's amasing and keep up the good work!

warpigau   

Why he looking to the right side bevore he reloading??? I Dont undestand this?

Tilting the weapon? To see if a round is still chambered, so you can rectify the stoppage

mazadu   

The bolt catch is missing the bottom half IIRC... Would also be nice to see the bolt catch pop out like normal when empty as an indicator of empty mag. 

Still hoping we see zoom optics changed to the Insurgency style optics, as in standalone models with standalone glass so your peripherals don't magically become 4x, only the glass. 

'Tappin' the magazine, I will confirm is used with pistol stoppages and is referred to as the 'tap rack'. It works and is used by a whole lot of armies.

With the M4, my use is limited to only a few months in total toting one so I can't help you there. We did 'tap' our mags during the stoppage drills but for the initial reload we just used a firm press to seat the mag ensuring to hear an audible click.

Can anyone with more experience share some info?

mazadu   

Mag "tapping" is definitely a legitimate thing... It's basically an insurance that you did in fact seat your mag 100%. Listening for a click or hoping to feel it are both gone when in a fight. All actions should be as simple as possible. Gross motor skills > fine motor skills once adrenaline is going. 

The chamber check is also a very legitimate thing... It's done to ensure that you're actually out, and that it's not a double feed or stove pipe causing a mushy trigger.   Pop, pop, pop, nothing... check chamber, yep i'm out, mag out, mag in.  

Now yes, you don't "need" to do a mag tap or check your chamber, but it's not like it's a bad thing to do and in no way is it unrealistic.  You guys need to stop trying to nitpick the wrong things...

Nitpick shit like, Crye Airframes being used by "11Bs", or magwell gripping even when there are vert grips on the guns, or the really disappointing way optics are "magnified". Or the massive weapon clipping in to objects... Or the inability to stop a reload (or any action really) mid-way to switch to your sidearm or whatever... 

Motofox   

"Mag tap" ....

after a few hours of heavy use, you almost need to give em a little smack

shit gets dirty quick, especially running around in a gunfight. No one wants their mag to fallout

I feel like the twist used to check the bolt is a little excessive. When i peek at my bolt before/after reloads its a very short motion, these earlier videos make it seem very drawn out to me for whatever reason. Now, not that its a big deal at all, better to make sure the chamber is clear than jam er up lol

Edit: I dont mean to be negative, the game/animations already look great guys, keep up the good work!

also, LOL @ charging handle in the KF2 reload video. like, why? maybe 9mm conversion kit has something to do with it? Maybe they just gave no fucks because, ya know, video game.

What's your philosophy on reload animations? Do you try and go as close to 100% realistic or do like add some flair to make it exciting? 

I remember reading how Bulletstorm's developers try to make the animation be just as entertaining to watch  as is to play the game. I'm curious to hear what you feel about the subject.