Chuc

Animation Update - M4 mag change

Shit is bananas, every update makes me sadder and gets me more hyped at the same time. I'm way from my PC till mid September and it is killing me that I cant play till then.

Dale   

You can't play till then anyway mate lol, unless you have a higher tier backer than Squadleader.

Foist   

The WIP animation already looks good, but a thumb mag release would be more accurate than backhanding the rifle.

I'm assuming you mean bolt release? And he hits it with the front of his hand, not the back. I've seen quite a few examples of military and ex-military operating the AR platform in such a way, giving the bolt release a quick smack with the palm/wrist.

This looks pretty good. Like people said before, tapping the mag, not slamming, is the proper way. Your non-shooting hand (the left in this case) holds the mag in a beer hand grip, retains the old mag, and the thumb pushes the bolt release (if it's needed).

My only problem with the OP'S example is the characters horrendous muzzle awareness. It seems to me that the character is a US Army soldier, so I can't really expect any better haha (banter)

The muzzle of the weapon should not be up in the air during a reload. It should remain pointed down range (at the enemy). At the very least, the weapon can be tilted so that the mag has a better angle into the mag well, other then that, the weapon should never leave its target.

Raymond   

That's always bugged me, we're taught to never slap a mag, just tug it to make sure its seated properly. But if it works, it works

I was taught both way when it came to reloading. but it really comes down to the shooter

Raymond   

Well for us, we were trained to always use the Bolt release, it is a waste of time to use the charging handle. As far as the love tap to the bottom of the mag, I consider that accurate cause that is what I do and what I was trained to do. It helps to make sure the mag is fully seated.  

I know exactly what you mean. I was taught the same way in the canadian army and I pretty much do the same steps in the animaton. I love it

My only issue is the overzealous slapping of the bolt release. Doesn't make much sense to bring your hand all the way out there to slap a button that you can easily press with your thumb when bringing your hand to rest on the hand guard/mag well. Imagine doing that in person. I would bet you'd feel pretty silly. :)

Nice animation but I think you should add the player pulling back the charging handle in the dry animation. Also shouldn't the empty mag go to the mag waste pouch?

I don't think there will be time to put the empty mag somewhere during a strong firefight. :P

zor   

Any US servicemen can confirm this as such? At least in the British Armed forces, it is frowned upon slamming the magazine into the rifle like depicted.

It's how they're taught. It helps to seat the mag. Granted, a nice upward movement into the mag well followed by a pulling motion downward is also effective. I've never checked the ejection port after sending the bolt home, though.

Gambit   

It's how they're taught. It helps to seat the mag. Granted, a nice upward movement into the mag well followed by a pulling motion downward is also effective. I've never checked the ejection port after sending the bolt home, though.

I've seen mag feed lips bent from excessive tapping. Never seen a malfunction in an issued mag because of it though. My guess is we throw them away before it becomes a problem.

I never check the ejection port after hitting the bolt realease neither. Actually never had to use the forward assist on mine, but I understand that's just one of the many HK416 pros.

Arakk   

I think the slapping of the mag release is over-exaggerated.  If you're going for speed and have any training, you're not going to need to look at where it is to slap your palm against it.  It also doesn't need that much force to actuate.  Could quicken up the reload a considerable amount unless it's done for balance purposes.

Kneecap   

Those animations look great! I Love the chamber checks. Its so cool, because no other FPS includes that very important detail. 

Offtopic: 

Any US servicemen can confirm this as such? At least in the British Armed forces, it is frowned upon slamming the magazine into the rifle like depicted.

Yeah, its the same here in Norway. When they replaced the AG3 with the HK416 they told us to never slap the mag, but to hold onto it after insertion and tug instead. This was apparently because bla bla working parts wear bla bla, i didnt really pay attention to the explanation since i was freezing my ass off at the time, but my point is, the HK416 is pretty much identical to the M4, so its weird that they have two completely different ways of handling magazine insertion. Maybe some minor differences in the magazine spring lock or something? 

warpigau   

We were told it was to prevent ammo stoppages from dislodged rounds; then again what they teach you from the lesson syllabus and what grunts actually do are two different things

GonzoPR   

I just want the head movement to stop, maybe not super realistic, but the camera motion during reloads makes my eyes want to vomit :(

Anyone contemplating using Oculus Rift with this game - do not reload ever or your face will explode :)

IRONXBAY   

Nice animation but it really wont take that long to change a clip. Check some videos about speed reload.

this isn't a 3 gun competition kiddo

Gambit   

Those animations look great! I Love the chamber checks. Its so cool, because no other FPS includes that very important detail. 

Offtopic: 

Yeah, its the same here in Norway. When they replaced the AG3 with the HK416 they told us to never slap the mag, but to hold onto it after insertion and tug instead. This was apparently because bla bla working parts wear bla bla, i didnt really pay attention to the explanation since i was freezing my ass off at the time, but my point is, the HK416 is pretty much identical to the M4, so its weird that they have two completely different ways of handling magazine insertion. Maybe some minor differences in the magazine spring lock or something? 

Hi, fellow Norwegian :)

I really don't think it has anything to do with differences in the two weapons. Tapping and slamming mags into the magwell causes the magazine feed lips to bend over time. Thus causing stoppages/double feeds or that the magazine will simply fall out. Either you adapt the drill, or you buy new magazines more often. :) 

They also told us that we shouldn't use mag-rest when shooting prone because it would cause stoppages. It does not.

We still learn tap-rack-bang though..

Frosty2   

yea i know its not competition personally i feel its pretty slow animation game wise.. maybe its the correct way in real life.. are the animations same lenght with the insurgents?

Stom   

yea i know its not competition personally i feel its pretty slow animation game wise.. maybe its the correct way in real life.. are the animations same lenght with the insurgents?

In my opinion slow reload animations are good, it means you've got to be careful when you're reloading and you'll do things like ask squad mates to cover you, and that''s what Squad is all about.