c-pid

Squad For Linux

Since DEVs kinda confirmed that there will be a Linux version for squad, I like to ask the community what they think about it. Personally I am super keen on it and it may gives me a reason to ditch windows completly. Gaming on Linux is growing at the moment and even half my steam library  is already available for linux. I am just missing PR and ArmA 3 as games over there.

So what do you guys think?

I'd welcome Squad on Linux.

That said, I don't think the Dev's ever confirmed anything. I think there response was more along the lines of "We'll look into it."

With UE4, a linux port should be EXTREMELY easy. But you'd have to do some testing and bug fixes, for sure.

Still waiting gaming optimised realtimeOS (RTOS) for PC wether it is based on Linux (The kernell isn't designed to support RTOS according to Torvalds iirc) or something else.

waiting for a well-optimised steamOS.

I need this on Linux.

But I also need NVidia to make me some damn drivers first.

The plan is definitely to build for linux, we are currently making builds for windows, linux, and mac. That being said, linux and mac versions have not been tested on hardware (although quite a few team members have the systems to test it). Either way there will definitely be bugs that we need to fix, and time will show how difficult that will be.

So looking forward to Native Linux Dedicated Servers for SQUAD. :)

Its somthing modern game developers neglect so much these days, but the benefit for the community is huge.

The plan is definitely to build for linux, we are currently making builds for windows, linux, and mac. That being said, linux and mac versions have not been tested on hardware (although quite a few team members have the systems to test it). Either way there will definitely be bugs that we need to fix, and time will show how difficult that will be.

Well, I'm happy that you're working on a Mac version. :)

I'm waiting for Linux version too! Hope to see it soon, cause Linux ARMA3 servers are barely existent, and M&B is getting boring...

It would actually be very smart of the developers to make a port because Linux doesn't really have any games like this, as in large scale combined arms gameplay on big maps. You'd have basically no competition on Linux, whereas there are many games similar to Squad on Windows.

Honestly, I'm glad to see more games on Linux. Realistically? I think Linux needs better drivers. Sure, they support a lot of hardware now but proprietary GFX manufacterers (ie Nvidia, ATI isn't as bad afaik) need to release proper drivers. Linux has drivers but the last time I tried using them they paled in comparison to the official drivers on a windows machine - even with the massive performance/stability gain switching to Linux.

Linux is the better OS, hands down. The problem is nobody important wants to support it. SteamOS gives people hope, but the people developing the hardware in the machine need to support the OS and Microsoft has had a stranglehold on the market.

Hello and welcome to Squad @r1kk

a few months old...

2016/01/19

https://www.reddit.com/r/joinsquad/comments/41lwy7/is_squad_coming_to_linux/

korypostma

We are currently not building Linux versions but many of us would like to support it. The main problem right now is that we have builds for Linux but some things are not supported like the VoIP system and also dump file generation plus whatever other issues are yet to be found. So it is at a very low priority right now, but we'll see how many others want us to support it. They might as well post here...

I understand that there is no plan or available resource for porting, just saying I`ll buy if there will be as many of my comrads who is sick and tired of windows crap. Its up to you to open up a new world for reality gaming. Atm there is only insurgency and americas army 2.5 that kinda my taste.  Unfortunately no one has real numbers to back up the real need for a linux port. Just try to make a poll or divide the developement to linux port maybe with a kickstarter project with prepayment would give a little push and you might be able to hire someone to fix those issues that you are unable  to overcome. And also as a retired pr player (with hundreds of hours) ask you to help us linux users to have some fun. 

Already 2019, and the developer still can not make a full release of the game.
Developers have written about problems with Voip - but this is no longer relevant. It works on Linux. Now there is another problem: Easy Anti Cheat. But EAC can also work on Linux (this is official information). UT4 can also work on the Vulkan API and Linux. Therefore, it depends only on the developers whether they want to make a port under Linux or not. So far, I see only laziness and negativity towards Linux users. Microsoft is clearly sponsoring them 

8 minutes ago, Dreamcast said:

... So far, I see only laziness and negativity towards Linux users. Microsoft is clearly sponsoring them 

wait, what?! If Microsoft is sponsoring them, they are doing crappy job :D I think there are few devs in team that would like to have linux version but ain't gonna happen any time soon. At least there is linux server edition if not mistaken.

Game is not finished yet... how do u think they would manage to keep two versions of game during developing (when the only one they got isn't easy ride at all)? Linux brings their own set of problems that i don't think they want now... at least not in developing stage of the game.

PS. btw what negativity towards Linux users? We are loved here :) did you read this thread?