Sign in to follow this  
LithiumFox

Lower FOV Option

I'm going to get destroyed by saying this arn't I?

Ok, here it goes:

I would like the ability to have a smaller, closer to 55 fov (or 40 if using vertical).

Why?

Because I play simulators, mostly racing simulators, and often we use a lower single-screen FOV to create a 1:1 distance relationship between the car and objects in game. iRacing, for example, has an FOV calculator that allows you to input the size of your screen and the distance you are away from it to create a proper FOV. 

Why does this matter to you? 

Because switching between small and large FOV's causes me headaches. I just tried playing Squad for like 5 minutes and I wanted to stop just cause I couldn't lower the FOV. 

But won't you feel blinded?

Rather than looking with my eyes, I stare near the center of the screen and move my mouse constantly. This is how ARMA plays out for me too. Racing games become more of an "acknowledgement" of spacing, and my iRacing stats are better since I've lowered my FOV. Here's an example video: 

Would that create an unfair advantage?

No more than someone simply using a bigger screen.

Don't we have a thread about FOV already?

The forums don't allow searching for the term FOV as it is only 3 letters and field of view brings up a lot of results for unrelated things. I found one and it had 2 replies. And it was about allowing larger FOV degrees.

Aren't you just being picky?

Yes. But only cause I enjoy this game and want to enjoy it without pain in my brain. (Heck, I already lowered the already-low ARMA 3 FOV.)

Thank you for your time. Please don't kill me. :(

Just wrote about this in another thread. Agree with you, should be an option if we want to look around more to compensate FOV.

Playing at a FOV that low would give you a big advantage. Iron sights for you would be like using a sniper scope compared to someone playing at 90°

There is a reason every CS:GO pro plays at a 4:3 aspect ratio. In that game it gives you a lower FOV and makes those headshots easier to pull off.

FOV will be adjustable at some point. Some say bigger FOV = cheating because you can spot more things at the same time and others say small FOV = cheating because everything is bigger. It's just preference, nothing else.

Everything conforting the player in game is desirable I think. And it's simply a standard in most of the games we play.

Understandable OP.

Such a low field of view isn't actually odd. In fact it's truly more natural. Your monitor is like a window in your house. Depending on the size of the window and your distance from that window, your field of view of the outside changes. Most field of views in game are not accurate to trigonometry.

Here's an example:

Say you have a 24" monitor with 16:9 aspect ratio. Taking your aspect ratio and using Pythagorean's theorem, your screen width would be approximately 21". Imagining your monitor as a window, If your eyes were exactly 2' (24") from the monitor the field of view of the outside world would be n = 2*arctan((21/2)/24). So that's about 47 degrees horizontal FOV. Of course such a low FOV, while accurate, does limit your situational awareness

Understandable OP...

You seem smart.

I'm thinking about getting one of those extra wide curved 27-32".

How will/would that work for me and others in this topic? FOV as is and as was suggested.

Cheers : )

You seem smart.

I'm thinking about getting one of those extra wide curved 27-32".

How will/would that work for me and others in this topic? FOV as is and as was suggested.

Cheers : )

Thanks. I was always just good at math.

Game FOV is completely up to personal preference. A realistic FOV is too low to play FPS games for me. You lose too much situational awareness. I think the average FOV used in widescreen gaming probably sits around 90 degrees. Some people prefer higher like 120 while others prefer the standard console FOV of around 50-60.

Long story short, there's no wrong or right FOV when it comes to gaming. My previous post was only to point out that the OP made sense and I could see why he'd want a lower FOV.

Absolutely need FOV option. It gives no advantage or disadvantages... its an optional adjustment. 

This is a very big tool for VR testing.

Thanks. I was always just good at math.

Game FOV is completely up to personal preference. A realistic FOV is too low to play FPS games for me. You lose too much situational awareness. I think the average FOV used in widescreen gaming probably sits around 90 degrees. Some people prefer higher like 120 while others prefer the standard console FOV of around 50-60.

Long story short, there's no wrong or right FOV when it comes to gaming. My previous post was only to point out that the OP made sense and I could see why he'd want a lower FOV.

Though in an FPS, the correct FOV isn't a major issue. This is much more important in distance based situations, like in racing games. :)

The problem for me is that I'm SO accustomed to the FOV I use in other games that I can't play games with higher FOV's anymore. At least not similar games (TP games are fine).

:) But this is a similar argument to the "Force Feedback is all about your opinon". It's not really. There's a scientific reason why an FOV or a certain FFB setup would be better or worse.

Example: There is a Correct way to sit in your computer chair, and a Comfortable way to sit in your computer chair. Sitting is an opinion, but the correct way is backed by scientific evidence. And scientifically the best for your body is apparently standing and not sitting at all. Just like the best FOV for your body is to not play games at all. (lol)