IrOnTaXi

US soldiers - First look at player models

artistic license is a thing!

I understand, but the level of artistic license doesn't quite make sense. On one hand, you've got cutting edge and beautiful Crye G3 CPs modeled, but up top you've got a Massif combat shirt rather than the matching Crye G3 CS. Then you get down the the plate carrier, which, in a sentence I really don't want to type, looks almost like a cop out for putting in actual design into an actually loaded out chest rig. Everything else, even the mismatched shirt, is very, VERY well done. Hell, the plate carrier itself is well done, but the chest rig just doesn't make sense. It's uncanny valley in terms of belief and really looks like someone just said "mags go on a chest rig, right?" rather than thinking about what actual soldiers carry on a chest rig and in what configuration. It looks barren, dull, uninspired, and lazy compared to the rest of model and, at least in my own personal opinion, really stands out like a stain on a white shirt. 

I understand (or at least hope) the model is subject to change, but honestly that entire thing there feels like an after thought to the rest of the well-modeled character.

Artistic license implies the subject matter doesn't have to make sense to every single person that examines it. Also, that model is noted as the base model in the actual Recap post from where it originated.

Artistic license implies the subject matter doesn't have to make sense to every single person that examines it. Also, that model is noted as the base model in the actual Recap post from where it originated.

That's true in reality; I guess I'm just used to thinking by definition which would see artistic license as the ability to deviate from the truth if it matches the desires of the artist him/herself. The model is definitely a great baseline, but why the M4 mag carrier then rather than a barren carrier? That's what gets me, because a base model should have nothing on it, right? Just thinking out loud. 

Remember at this point the model is very much a WIP. I know that's a cop out but remember this was the first sneak peak into the Russian model at an even later point of development:

Russian_player_model_WIP_June2015_SQUAD.

Compare that with the more accurate Russians we've got now.

Not saying don't critique, but keep that in mind.

Remember at this point the model is very much a WIP. I know that's a cop out but remember this was the first sneak peak into the Russian model at an even later point of development:

Russian_player_model_WIP_June2015_SQUAD.

Compare that with the more accurate Russians we've got now.

Not saying don't critique, but keep that in mind.

Oh Jesus I've never seen that model before but my God they've improved it so. As I said, I'm not sweating the fact that they're taking artistic license and I hope they take any critique I (and others for that matter) into the equation, but that chest rig just doesn't sit right with me. I think some MOLLE attached cloth top or even retention top non-MOLLE covered mag pouches would look much, much more pleasing than a generic strip across the chest. 

Well I'm talking about the 2015 Army, which doesn't use Crye G3 Combat pants any uses the standard SPCS which does not have hooks for a modular chest rig. I think the model looks good, but there are idiosyncrasies with the standard US kit. 

I can't really tell from that image alone but that vest is very similar to a standard IOTV gen 3 with the tactical assault panel (the clip on FLC) which I know for a fact they are issuing out. As for the Crye pants, they arn't very standard but I have seen some Airborne units with them before.

What in the world are you guys going on about?

That was a Russian model WIP back in June...Russians are done and in-game.

This has nothing to do with the US...

Сurrent russian models are an ugly placeholder(especially their eyes). Just discussing a new RU models, they are as important as US are.

Сurrent russian models are an ugly placeholder(especially their eyes). Just discussing a new RU models, they are as important as US are.

The Russian models arent placeholders anymore from what I understand, where did you get such info? And what exactly is ugly about em?

Wonder who's an ugly placeholder.

I've just looked at the US new models concept - they look great. Thought all other models are going to change too.

I told 'ugly' not regarding their appearance, but their current animation and some details. Like dead eyes, helmets, etc.

I've just looked at the US new models concept - they look great. Thought all other models are going to change too.

I told 'ugly' not regarding their appearance, but their current animation and some details. Like dead eyes, helmets, etc.

Russian models are done, animations are not.

What new US model concept? I don't think we have revealed anything yet...

What new US model concept? I don't think we have revealed anything yet...

Theyre talking about this WIP model that was released yesterday

usarmysoldier.jpg

What he was doing is telling me to have some faith in the design (not that I don't but I did point out some discrepancies with the new model) and then posted the Russian model of the old days to show me that nothing you guys first preview stays that way for long and many changes are made, which I'm hopeful for on the US model at this point in time because while it's great, there are a few things that irk me a bit (most notably the chest rig on the plate carrier.)

What he was doing is telling me to have some faith in the design (not that I don't but I did point out some discrepancies with the new model) and then posted the Russian model of the old days to show me that nothing you guys first preview stays that way for long and many changes are made, which I'm hopeful for on the US model at this point in time because while it's great, there are a few things that irk me a bit (most notably the chest rig on the plate carrier.)

I see, you are referring to the WIP US screenshot we released yesterday (totally forgot we did that).

That chest rig is issued to soldiers in the US Army. That is literally the exact rig one of our active duty US Army soldiers took pictures of. Whether it sits right with you or not is irrelevant, that is actual standard issue equipment.

However, as you stated, things will change and variations in class kits will be different.

I see, you are referring to the WIP US screenshot we released yesterday (totally forgot we did that).

That chest rig is issued to soldiers in the US Army. That is literally the exact rig one of our active duty US Army soldiers took pictures of. Whether it sits right with you or not is irrelevant, that is actual standard issue equipment.

I've never seen a soldier wear one of those and as far as I know KDH hasn't added any modular chest rig clips to the plate carrier of the SPCS. Unless of course this is the IOTV Gen 3, but to me it appears to be closer to the SPCS (though the major giveaways without the extra IOTV armor would be the chest flap, velcro panels, and the cummerbund, none of which can be seen in this picture.) That being said, it would be awesome if you could post the reference pic for the plate carrier (assuming you still have it.) I'm not sure the chest rig (the Tactical Assault Panel I assume) could be attached to the SPCS due to the detachment method they went with. That being said, I could be wrong. However, I from what I've seen most people use double mag cloth tops, though my experience to that end is just tons of photos of soldiers in Afghanistan.

chest rig = 30% disability upon exiting service.  Wouldn't recommend it, go ask dolly parton. lol  I would like to see if anyone has or can model this guy http://www.eagleindustries.com/products/detail.aspx?id=3087

I've got a buddy who was in SF for quite a long time and they issued him an Eagle Industries vest (I think it was the CIRAS) and according to him he wore it on a single patrol before throwing that shit down after returning to the FOB and picking up a 6094 instead. Not sure about the Aero, though. Is it used by any branch of the military? Non-SF of course.

I've never seen a soldier wear one of those and as far as I know KDH hasn't added any modular chest rig clips to the plate carrier of the SPCS. Unless of course this is the IOTV Gen 3, but to me it appears to be closer to the SPCS (though the major giveaways without the extra IOTV armor would be the chest flap, velcro panels, and the cummerbund, none of which can be seen in this picture.) That being said, it would be awesome if you could post the reference pic for the plate carrier (assuming you still have it.) I'm not sure the chest rig (the Tactical Assault Panel I assume) could be attached to the SPCS due to the detachment method they went with. That being said, I could be wrong. However, I from what I've seen most people use double mag cloth tops, though my experience to that end is just tons of photos of soldiers in Afghanistan.

I've got a buddy who was in SF for quite a long time and they issued him an Eagle Industries vest (I think it was the CIRAS) and according to him he wore it on a single patrol before throwing that shit down after returning to the FOB and picking up a 6094 instead. Not sure about the Aero, though. Is it used by any branch of the military? Non-SF of course.

Guess you're gonna learn something today, eh?

This is one of several he provided to us.

Duo5bBo.jpg

Also, I will agree that I have never been a fan of chest rigs and I never wore one in country.

I personally think the WIP model looks absolutely gorgeous.

Something I noticed our man here is missing is gloves. I'm aware that the model there is a base. (Which I'm assuming serves as a base in which different pouches and gear and textures can easily be added on for different roles.)

This brings me to ask, what are the standard issue gloves for the US Army in 2015-2016? In the past I've only been familiar with Nomex gloves (always been a fan of those) and occasional Mechanix or Oakleys in more recent years.

Guess you're gonna learn something today, eh?

This is one of several he provided to us.

Duo5bBo.jpg

Also, I will agree that I have never been a fan of chest rigs and I never wore one in country.

Well hot damn, that does indeed appear to vbe an SPCS, so I guess it can indeed use the TAP. Well, I might think it detracts from the overall stellar work of the rest of the model, and you might not have liked wearing them in country, but it's an issued piece of kit so I guess I can't really complain about it being inaccurate (then again, artistic license as IronxBay said.) Would've loved to see cloth tops (or would like to in the future) but these definitely work.

I personally think the WIP model looks absolutely gorgeous.

Something I noticed our man here is missing is gloves. I'm aware that the model there is a base. (Which I'm assuming serves as a base in which different pouches and gear and textures can easily be added on for different roles.)

This brings me to ask, what are the standard issue gloves for the US Army in 2015-2016? In the past I've only been familiar with Nomex gloves (always been a fan of those) and occasional Mechanix or Oakleys in more recent years.

Don't get me wrong, I think it looks damn good as well. I also noticed the lack of gloves. That being said, I'm not sure the Army does issue standard gloves, or if soldiers actually wear the gloves their issued. Most people I've seen pictures of wear either Oakley or Camelback kevlar knuckle gloves or Mechanix gloves. I've also noticed among a bunch of my ex-Mil friends that Outdoor Research Ironsights have picked up quite a bit of speed since they came to market. Either way I'm sure that the gloves will be a separate model that will go on over the hands. 

Don't get me wrong, I think it looks damn good as well. I also noticed the lack of gloves. That being said, I'm not sure the Army does issue standard gloves, or if soldiers actually wear the gloves their issued. Most people I've seen pictures of wear either Oakley or Camelback kevlar knuckle gloves or Mechanix gloves. I've also noticed among a bunch of my ex-Mil friends that Outdoor Research Ironsights have picked up quite a bit of speed since they came to market. Either way I'm sure that the gloves will be a separate model that will go on over the hands. 

They do, but we are going with a bit more mainstream gloves that you typically see us wear (pretty much the ones you stated).

Also, I will confirm, OR gloves were actually part of our standard issue gloves set in the Marines.

They do, but we are going with a bit more mainstream gloves that you typically see us wear (pretty much the ones you stated).

Also, I will confirm, OR gloves were actually part of our standard issue gloves set in the Marines.

They are? I'm glad to hear that because OR makes damn fine gloves. I got my Ironsights about a year ago now and I've used them for shooting and loading mags and I've only had a single fray over that time. That being said I think I ordered a size to large so they're a bit loose fitting, but then then the loss of dexterity is practically nil. I'll have to buy a second pair sometime this year in the proper size and maybe a different color. 

They are? I'm glad to hear that because OR makes damn fine gloves. I got my Ironsights about a year ago now and I've used them for shooting and loading mags and I've only had a single fray over that time. That being said I think I ordered a size to large so they're a bit loose fitting, but then then the loss of dexterity is practically nil. I'll have to buy a second pair sometime this year in the proper size and maybe a different color. 

Yup, I was getting issued OR gloves back in 2006-2007+.

Just wanted to say that the new US player models look amazing so far.

As for those tacticool-looking pants, I believe they may be the Massif Army Combat pants (Not Crye G3s), which afaik some soldiers purchase privately.

PEOsoldier_ArmyCombatPant.jpg

Just wanted to say that the new US player models look amazing so far.

As for those tacticool-looking pants, I believe they may be the Massif Army Combat pants (Not Crye G3s), which afaik some soldiers purchase privately.

PEOsoldier_ArmyCombatPant.jpg

I'm not quite sure how easy it is to spot the difference because they're incredibly different in design (except for on the all-weathers Crye uses a different material above and around the knee patch, but not on the standard G-3s.) I'm also not sure if Massif CPs have the ability to synch the cuffs around the ankle but it's very clear that in the WIP model the cuffs are synched. I guess the devs could comment on this?