IrOnTaXi

US soldiers - First look at player models

SgtRoss   

Remember, it is a first look that is displayed in this thread, they are going to change to be more representative of typical setup.

I just hope those old models really won't be there till forever. So basically not like in lnsurgency 2, where afaik the Devs stated quite some time ago that they're going to replace the old models, never happened though (guess they got lazy).

Great models. Minor things however from the realism standpoint.

• The IBV (Interceptor body armor) is standard issue. IBV usually will add a great deal of thickness to the torso which isn't apparent in the model. Every model should have the IBV.
  • The helmet modelled is not correct. The Army only fields Cry Precision gear/MICH MOD1 to SOF units. The MICH helmets should be standard MICH helmets with covers and a single metal bracket for the NVG mount (As pictured in image 2)
  • Rear radio mounts high right not low right.
  • It is almost a combat oops to use a leg holster for the M9. Typically those who do carry an M9 (not many) stow it on their IBV.
  • It is rare to see a knife stowed on an IBV. Most stow it in a bag and rely on a smaller switchblade or Webber on their belt.
  • No rank patches on shoulder mats, that is out of regs. as of 2012.
  • The American flag should be an IR patch and should be facing the other direction. In garrison it is the way shown but down-range it is the way I said. http://i47.servimg.com/u/f47/13/87/79/34/12030910.jpg

What are the plans for the camo? The Army is about to start fielding the SCORPION pattern (Multicam but not really) and will phase out the ACU pattern over the next few years. If you need any further help I have a ton of recent photos from 2/75, 1/18, and some misc. 82nd that you might use as reference.

I though IBAs were outdated and replaced by the IOTV, MBAV, and SPCS? http://www.defense.gov/dodcmsshare/photoessay/2014-01/hires_140112-A-XQ077-175a.jpg there's an MBAV in 2014, there's an SPCS http://www.aei.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/img-soldierrooftopsecurityfarahcityafghanistan022513_100422747387.jpg Again, I thought IBAs were outdated.

Jarmak   

Great models. Minor things however from the realism standpoint.

• The IBV (Interceptor body armor) is standard issue. IBV usually will add a great deal of thickness to the torso which isn't apparent in the model. Every model should have the IBV.
  • The helmet modelled is not correct. The Army only fields Cry Precision gear/MICH MOD1 to SOF units. The MICH helmets should be standard MICH helmets with covers and a single metal bracket for the NVG mount (As pictured in image 2)
  • It is almost a combat oops to use a leg holster for the M9. Typically those who do carry an M9 (not many) stow it on their IBV.
  • It is rare to see a knife stowed on an IBV. Most stow it in a bag and rely on a smaller switchblade or Webber on their belt.
  • No rank patches on shoulder mats, that is out of regs. as of 2012.
  • The American flag should be an IR patch and should be facing the other direction. In garrison it is the way shown but down-range it is the way I said. http://i47.servimg.com/u/f47/13/87/79/34/12030910.jpg

What are the plans for the camo? The Army is about to start fielding the SCORPION pattern (Multicam but not really) and will phase out the ACU pattern over the next few years. If you need any further help I have a ton of recent photos from 2/75, 1/18, and some misc. 82nd that you might use as reference.

IBAs weren't standard issue for combat units even when I first got in back in 08, IOTVs were, and we got plate carriers issued when we deployed. Also tons of people carried both knives on their kit, and leg holsters for their M9s (at one point I had both). I've never seen anyone stow their knife in their bag.

Yes, combat shirts are standard for overseas usage, but OCP FR is just as common place in the field. Here's a nice reference shoot taken this year from Operation Resolute Support:

[bigass img]

Note (10th Mountain, standard light infantry)

Actually registered just for this post (+avid PR player for as long as the mod's been around, might recognize [C3H8]) but I know the dude with the mic/paper, he's the commo guy for my old unit. It's not 10th Mtn but rather the 82d, pretty sure I saw that pic on my brigade's FB page before.

As for the models, they're all looking pretty good but something about the 3rd seems a bit off, maybe he's just real lanky or the FLC is just way too tight or something. As far as the placement of the pouches/radios and stuff go. really the only common SOP I know of is the IFAK on the right side of the hip/ass, other than that it's whoever's preference. I knew dudes who had bigass K-bars on their shit, I myself had a fixed-blade behind a utility pouch. Artists really have free range to put whatever wherever as long as the first aid kit is is on the right hip and everything else makes logical sense.

Was hoping to see this uniform. it was in service from 01-06. was the best in my opinion. Desert Camo with woodland IBA

ACU was 06-10

mulitcam 10-present

and im just talking convental forces here.

US Army still uses ACU. From what my brother in the Army told me, they are slowly phasing it out.

Cunico   

If you guys ever need help making anything, I would love to help out. You can see some of my work here: www.cunico.us , your stuff looks great.

If you guys ever need help making anything, I would love to help out. You can see some of my work here: www.cunico.us , your stuff looks great.

Do you primarily do character modeling? It looks like character accessories are your main "thing" under your portfolio. Looks good!

Cunico   

Do you primarily do character modeling? It looks like character accessories are your main "thing" under your portfolio. Looks good!

Honestly, I can model just about anything. I just recently started keeping track of the stuff on a website like you saw. I've done weapons and random items as well. I've been trying to branch out a bit, but honestly I haven't really came across anything that I can't do. Right now I'm working on a LAV for the USMC faction, so I guess I do vehicles/armored as well. I just kinda make whatever I'm told to lol. Thanks for the kind words. 

Took a quick look at your site, the M240's heatguard could use some attention on the normal map/baking cage/ low poly triangulation, there are some long triangles showing on there from the normal map. You can probably just clean it up on the normal map in photoshop though :)

Other than that, your stuff looks very good :)

Some great work you have there indeed!

Cunico   

Took a quick look at your site, the M240's heatguard could use some attention on the normal map/baking cage/ low poly triangulation, there are some long triangles showing on there from the normal map. You can probably just clean it up on the normal map in photoshop though :)

Other than that, your stuff looks very good :)

Thanks, much appreciated.

Cunico, why don't you create your own thread in the Off Topic Discussion area and keep everyone updated on what you're doing? 

um...I dunno. I'm not much of a talker really. I just make stuff. I feel like if people wanna know what I'm doing they could always just check my website out lol. I don't like bragging or keep bringing it up. 

bumfluff   

You should brag. Your stuff is really good and shows a great eye for the modern equipment being used.

I'd love to see a thread with your stuff.

Cunico   

You should brag. Your stuff is really good and shows a great eye for the modern equipment being used.

I'd love to see a thread with your stuff.

aha, thank you. It's all much appreciated.

@Cunico:

I'd love to see your own thread, too. Great stuff.

Thank you. 

Twogun   

• "The IBV (Interceptor body armor) is standard issue. IBV usually will add a great deal of thickness to the torso which isn't apparent in the model. Every model should have the IBV.
  • It is rare to see a knife stowed on an IBV. Most stow it in a bag and rely on a smaller switchblade or Webber on their belt."

I'm not trying to discredit you, merely making some corrections on certain things. 

- The IBA (not IBV) was replaced in most units with the updated IOTV and now the latest Plate Carriers (much better for movement imo). Most reserve units I've seen will occasionally run IBA however.

-If I'm correct, on the radio you are referencing the 1st and 4th image. The radio placement it unit dictated, I ran mine on the right side of my mid torso.

-The M9 holster placement. I've never seen an M9 get holstered on the chest outside of movies. The few I've seen used were all leg holsters. (240 gunners, officers, and 1sg had M9's)

-You're correct here, though EOD that I've run into more often than not had em on the chect for "Easy access", most likely wanting to look cool or whatever, either way.