IrOnTaXi

US soldiers - First look at player models

Looks freekin great!!!!God I,m so keen for this One thing I,m noticing is the lack of ambient occlusion around the soldiers feet and the wall against the floor. Without it it makes things dont look like they are against surface really. Is it possible to implement Ambient Occlusion?

The textures need to be redone, but as for AO, that would be done via graphic settings. Texture wise, for PBR in UE4, there should be no lighting detail in the albedo, roughness or metallic texture maps, however you can add a AO map in the materials, but it would show when the model is not under a direct ambient light, only in dark areas where lighting isn't shown. If you get what I mean.

I think what Brunito_gg is talking about is SSAO?

Yeahlike for example when you apply it in the Battlefield 2 engine things look surprisingly better as in the feel they really are against surface.like you can see on this link:http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f10-pr-bf2-general-discussion/118359-ambient-occlusion-pr-battlefield-2-a.htmlwonder if it will be as simple to have one in Squad so things look more organic and lifelike

SSAO was not implemented in refactor as far as I remember, but was based entirely on lightmapping ? SSAO is a pretty expensive algorithm, but might be possible to implement in the graphics. atm I just think that is is turned off in the post processing settings tbh. Will be looked into as soon as the next leg of work is done my Mos so that we can judge performance at a proper standpoint,

SSAO is already used in-game by default, but it's fairly subtle atm. It's not meant to be very visible under direct sunlight though.

Great models. Minor things however from the realism standpoint.

• The IBV (Interceptor body armor) is standard issue. IBV usually will add a great deal of thickness to the torso which isn't apparent in the model. Every model should have the IBV.
  • The helmet modelled is not correct. The Army only fields Cry Precision gear/MICH MOD1 to SOF units. The MICH helmets should be standard MICH helmets with covers and a single metal bracket for the NVG mount (As pictured in image 2)
  • Rear radio mounts high right not low right.
  • It is almost a combat oops to use a leg holster for the M9. Typically those who do carry an M9 (not many) stow it on their IBV.
  • It is rare to see a knife stowed on an IBV. Most stow it in a bag and rely on a smaller switchblade or Webber on their belt.
  • No rank patches on shoulder mats, that is out of regs. as of 2012.
  • The American flag should be an IR patch and should be facing the other direction. In garrison it is the way shown but down-range it is the way I said. http://i47.servimg.com/u/f47/13/87/79/34/12030910.jpg

What are the plans for the camo? The Army is about to start fielding the SCORPION pattern (Multicam but not really) and will phase out the ACU pattern over the next few years. If you need any further help I have a ton of recent photos from 2/75, 1/18, and some misc. 82nd that you might use as reference.

Great models, I won't pretend to know the technical details of what a soldier should be carrying, but everything looks a little bit too pristine for my liking. Could you dirty up and ruff up the uniforms a little bit, contrast the webbing belts a little more,  adds to the immersion in my opinion, this also goes for the insurgents clothes I've seen in the video, also the insurgents models would look a lot more fearsome with a few ammo belts slung around there shoulders, maybe some kind of weapons vest on some models, just some ideas great work so far.

Great models. Minor things however from the realism standpoint.

• The IBV (Interceptor body armor) is standard issue. IBV usually will add a great deal of thickness to the torso which isn't apparent in the model. Every model should have the IBV.
  • The helmet modelled is not correct. The Army only fields Cry Precision gear/MICH MOD1 to SOF units. The MICH helmets should be standard MICH helmets with covers and a single metal bracket for the NVG mount (As pictured in image 2)
  • Rear radio mounts high right not low right.
  • It is almost a combat oops to use a leg holster for the M9. Typically those who do carry an M9 (not many) stow it on their IBV.
  • It is rare to see a knife stowed on an IBV. Most stow it in a bag and rely on a smaller switchblade or Webber on their belt.
  • No rank patches on shoulder mats, that is out of regs. as of 2012.
  • The American flag should be an IR patch and should be facing the other direction. In garrison it is the way shown but down-range it is the way I said. http://i47.servimg.com/u/f47/13/87/79/34/12030910.jpg

What are the plans for the camo? The Army is about to start fielding the SCORPION pattern (Multicam but not really) and will phase out the ACU pattern over the next few years. If you need any further help I have a ton of recent photos from 2/75, 1/18, and some misc. 82nd that you might use as reference.

Cheers for info. 

we have already moved the soldiers to ACU and will likely incorporate Scorp when we are comfortable with it. 

All the helmets and kit can be swapped on models and we are about to start that process to get everyone as close to spec as we can with what we have got. 

should look alot nicer in a few weeks. 

More updated shot for you guys. 

Helmets and gear will be sorted out in next few weeks. (ie this stuff isnt final. dont worry)

Posted Image

Some thoughts on the models:

- (already said) Ops-Cores are a not "true" for regular grunts and only issued to special forces.

- Do you plan to make a model that has his jacket stuffed in his pants? Looks more professional imho  :P Edit: Oh you did in the second picture

- The Velcro on an issued multicam ACU is not that dark green. It's more coyote/light greenish. Google pics has some good shots of that.

- Would be great to see more pouches on the models

- They could all have some more aggressive/exhausted faces  :D

What's that vest on the second picture on the first post?

But anyways, that's moaning on a high level. Great stuff there! Keep on with that fantastic work!

for the short term we will be using whatever gear we have in appropriate loadouts. 

ie. we will be rearranging from available gear models but not adding anything right away.. 

the operator helmets for example will be switched

I believe its older style turret gunner plate. Dont think its commonly used. 

It's a Crye Armour Chassis Gen 1  :)I'm sure they'll get rid of it with the gear re-shuffle. 

It's a Crye Armour Chassis Gen 1  :)I'm sure they'll get rid of it with the gear re-shuffle. 

Howdy sabre. nice to see you here. yes of course. we are getting rid of it..