Sokol

Protection

I haven't seen this suggested, so I figured I'd go ahead and post it.

I play PR, and Arma2 ACE mod.  I like that PR is more relaxed realism, and I like that ACE is much more realistic.  While I do like the mix, there are some things that I wish PR could have incorporated, and I hope that Squad will incorporate it.  Eye protection, and Ear protection.  These aren't the biggest things, but they make the game that much more believable.  Without EarPro, you can hear enemies sneaking up, you can whisper into game chat, but the side-effect being that without it, when the firefights start, all you hear after that is a loud ringing noise that sticks with you for a few minutes.  With earpro, it muffles sounds, makes it so maybe you cant exactly hear enemies sneaking up, but when the firefights do start, firearms and grenades aren't destroying your hearing, and you don't have to worry about the ringing noise.

ACE also had eyepro, a feature also that I hope Squad will incorporate.  Eyepro could come in the form of sunglasses or goggles, which would reduce some of the blurring effects of suppression, but would also dim the brightness of a game.  This would prove especially useful in middle eastern maps, and arctic maps, where the bright environments can make it hard to see, you can quickly dim it by putting on eyepro.  

If anybody else has played ACE, what were your thoughts about it?

I think the EarPro might be a bit too much.

I do like the EyePro idea though. It'd be nice if the sunglasses would reduce some of the bloom coming from things like the sun and other light sources.

I'd say your suggestion would be too bulky, complex and in the way for the smooth flowing type of gameplay Squad is going for. Further, after a few minutes I'd rage quit by being forced to choose between muffled speech and sounds and "ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh" every time I fired a gun. Don't get me wrong, it is a cool idea, but it's a cool idea for a total immersion realism shooter, not a team-play centred smooth playing one. I do think a little ear ringing would be nice though. Let's say you're in a north european broadleaf forest in the spring and all you hear is birds and foodsteps and the squad radio. Suddenly you take fire, your screen twitches, some things get a bit out of focus, particles flying everywhere, all you hear is the sound of bullets cracking and making that nasty pew pew sound overhead and someone yelling, you fire back, the first flash shocks you a little and stays on the screen in a more and more blue shade like it burned your retinas, the enemy dies, and stuff on your screen is still a little out of focus/blurred with that flash still on your retinas, and your ears are ringing a bit. You'd feel like you just survived some hardcore sh*t.

Project Reality crossed the line into military simulation, it just didn't go in all the way, and thats the same thing I am proposing.  These aren't hard things to do, they aren't bulky (talking from ACE experience here), and could be hotkeyed.  The whole point isn't to be a military simulator, but there is supposed to be a good number of smaller things that give the game a more realistic feel, which Project Reality did a great job of.  I would at a minimum like eyepro though.  Reduce glare, and brightness when in bright locations.

Nightingale, I've rarely ever seen Taliban wearing earpro.  Only in a few liveleak videos, but that's out of hundreds that I've watched.

This might be a little too complex to have in a game. Modern forces wear "active" ear protection now anyways. Which lets the user hear fine, or even better, but blocks sounds above lets say 120 DBs, meaning there is no loss off hearing wearing these.

My vote is Nay, 

Earpro - I dont profess to know the intricacies of the new VOIP system as it stands, but i'd suppose that adding another layer of sound dampening and enhancing needlessly complicates the current channels. Also adding ringing noises to soundscapes never seems to pan out. Long protracted/start stop firefights or even "soundbugs" might emerge where the ringing doesn't stop, i can imagine these taking away from the experience rather than adding to it. And Eyepro would suggest that Squad make maps too/uncomfortably bright in order to make them useful.

Smaller things like: 

1.) Pilot/Eod/Crewman helmets having a tint on them and muffling sounds.

2.)Ringing/temporary deafness(seconds) from danger close explosions

These are features of the overall soundscape i'm in full support of, but giving players eyewear and earplugs just seems superfluous, especially for any initial release.

P.S: I would argue that PR didnt cross into "military simulation" and ACE was okay in Arma, but still it had its quirks and clunky features - but thats not a discussion for here

If Talibans will suffer the effects of no EarPro, players will just use Teamspeak to circumvent the problem.