Sign in to follow this  
unfrail

Bear Crawl/all-fours

I'm loving the terrain, and as someone who has spent time carrying heavy gear up mountains for a living, I always find myself frustrated at the instantaneous climbing limits I run into out in the hills (Or even in the middle of town) in certain video games.

Its getting to the point I feel bad suggesting new things, because I realize the devs already have a very loaded and defined development path, but I figured I would toss this out there for the "to be considered, when we have more time and money" pile.

zwOiDZl.png

Not really rocket science. Mostly requesting a "climb on all fours" mechanic for scaling those moderately sloped hills that I know I could climb, even with a 100lb pack on my back.

I am sure a lot of this depends on the engine, and its ability to recognize the slope a player is on, but it would be cool if this was something that was functionally possible.

So, sorry in advance devs, I am not trying to over-encumber you with another petulant request, just something to toss in your bucket of ideas for future consideration.

P.S. If you dont already have an "Idea wiki/database" id be happy to assist the cataloging/construction. Wikis are pretty easy to throw together as I am sure you know.

I'm wondering, will this game have "climbing over walls, fences like in CoD? (Sounds so stupid to say CoD, like i would be 12years old.) tho haven't played it since 2009)

I like this idea a lot. It would force squads to make the choice between going straight up a mountain defenseless, or going the long way around but able to shoulder the weapon.

.... And downhill?

Sliding down? 

I can already relate this to runescape where you could climb up/down on certain points. 

I don't like the idea of holstering weapons (Instead hanging by the character's chest?) unless it wouldn't take ages to draw them , and that it'd be possible to stop and also climb/descend slower than otherwise with weapons drawn. Other than that, I like the idea

I don't like the idea of holstering weapons (Instead hanging by the character's chest?) unless it wouldn't take ages to draw them , and that it'd be possible to stop and also climb/descend slower than otherwise with weapons drawn. Other than that, I like the idea

Yeah, holster was the wrong word. I just mean using all 4 limbs to climb so, stow? Shoulder?

You would just take some severe movement penalties and it would be effectively getting caught with your pants down. You could still lay-down, re-take your weapon and aim, and return fire etc, but not an ideal place to start a firefight.

In many situations, covering terrain, I hate running into some arbitrary section of "too steep" that doesn't make sense.

Yeah, holster was the wrong word. I just mean using all 4 limbs to climb so, stow? Shoulder?

You would just take some severe movement penalties and it would be effectively getting caught with your pants down. You could still lay-down, re-take your weapon and aim, and return fire etc, but not an ideal place to start a firefight.

In many situations, covering terrain, I hate running into some arbitrary section of "too steep" that doesn't make sense.

Yeah, agreed completely. My point was that you shouldn't be utterly defenceless climbing a steep hill but you seem to have thought about it yourself.

Moving down should be faster (with your weapon drawn, too) but still slower than normal movement, so if they do take fire they can move into more favourable positions at the base of the hill more easily than climbing the rest of the way.

Moving down should be faster (with your weapon drawn, too) but still slower than normal movement, so if they do take fire they can move into more favourable positions at the base of the hill more easily than climbing the rest of the way.

i concur absolutely.

I think that a good way to do this is that the player uses one of his hands to support while moving, but when he stops he returns to a "normal" way of holding his weapon. This would let the player move on steep slopes and fight while standing still.

Having the body actualy laying on the ground while prone would also be cool, and not horizontal on any terrain.

I think that a good way to do this is that the player uses one of his hands to support while moving, but when he stops he returns to a "normal" way of holding his weapon. This would let the player move on steep slopes and fight while standing still.

Having the body actualy laying on the ground while prone would also be cool, and not horizontal on any terrain.

YES! Just like in the movie, "Hamburger Hill".

http://youtu.be/0MUoPom4UZk?t=17m53s

I really wasn't for this when I first read it, but after some good reply's and some thought, I think it's a great idea that doesn't sound back breaking to implement. 

I've seen that video awhile back and was like "man...I would be crapping bricks at that moment!" You can definitely see the bullets hitting and whizzing by him. If it was me though I would definitely try to find some cover by that large rock and try to suppress fire back at them but you also got to consider what he's going through too. A lot of drama, adrenaline, and fear for his life trying to dodge those bullets. Also he got wounded but not quite sure how bad he got hit. Probably the worst thing he did though was leave from cover, leaving his squad, go down hill while bullets are blazing on him, and then when he gets hit he cries to his squad to risk their lives in getting him back to safety. Not the smartest soldier but yet I can't really criticize him since I've never been in a war myself.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just found the description. This is why he did what he did.

" I got a hit a total of 4 times. My helmet cam died and i made it down the mountain on my own. I was also hit in the side of my helmet and my eye pro was shot off of my face. We were doing overwatch on the village to recon and gather intel. I was point heading down the face of the hill with the LT. when we got hit. the rest of the squad was pinned down by machine gun fire. I didn't start the video until a few mins into the firefight for obvious reasons. I CAME OUT IN THE OPEN TO DRAW FIRE SO MY SQUAD COULD GET TO SAFETY"'

Hmmm....kudos to this soldier.

I'm wondering, will this game have "climbing over walls, fences like in CoD? (Sounds so stupid to say CoD, like i would be 12years old.) tho haven't played it since 2009)

CoD2's mantle/climbing system was the dopest thing I've seen.  

I would love the ability.  If it is steep enough, that is where you let your 3-point sling do the work, sling the rifle to your side just behind you, and four-arm that hill asap.  Sliding downhill would work, with weapon at the ready, but obviously no ability to ADS.  I would absolutely love it.

There definitely needs to be some version of this in the game, if not right away then in the future. Something like this ads alot to the tactical desisions of leaders and can channel players, but also make oppertunities for surprise attacks. Also adding to the realistic feel to it.

I support this: Alongside the idea of "shouldering" ones weapon. The ability to "rack" ones weapon against his/her chest, enabling them to complete a number of other actions such as:

1.) Clambering up slopes

2.) Safely descending slopes

3.) Setting up stationary equipment (mines, IED's, FOB's)

4.) A Buddy vault (complex animation and no need for it untill much later down the line)

5.) Crossing Rivers?

Whilst obviously disabling the ability for the person to fire, quick drawing pdw's should still be an option but a rifle should take longer to shoulder. This would create an inherint risk to everything one does other than patrolling - meaning for every action the squad would need to have a decent cover element. Might make another thread.

Whilst obviously disabling the ability for the person to fire, quick drawing pdw's should still be an option but a rifle should take longer to shoulder.

great idea.

If [X] = "time to shoulder weapon", and {1,2,3,4} are weapon classes {1="Pistol",2="SMG",3="Rifle",4="LMG"} then the time to shoulder [X] would be easy to differentiate based on weapon class. Harsh/Steep terrain movement forces lowered weapons. Different weapons have different re-position times. I dig this.

Loved the idea,unfrail! And also liked the contributions of you guys! This is the kind of thing that, if implemented, would set the game apart from the rest even more!  :)

I've always disliked the fact that in a lot of games you can either run straight up a really steep cliff with ease, or you just can't go up that hill at all. This is a feature I've wanted in a game for a long time, so I'd definitely love to see it in Squad. Not to mention that it would fit perfectly, and add a more tactical pace to the game, ie. Infantry deciding whether or not it's safe enough to scale a hill, or even having some covering while others climb, etc.