IrOnTaXi

100 man server. CHECK!

143 posts in this topic
5 hours ago, banOkay said:

So many videos like this.

Did you happen to notice that in the 2nd video you referenced, the uploader stated:

Uploaded on May 17, 2008

"Now the same experiment, but with a low ping! As you see, now it is actually possible to hit something. Note that there is no longer a difference in BF2 v1.5! The bug only existed up to v1.41."

I'm not saying hit detection was great, as there are a multitude of variables that can affect it, especially when pushing limits of how many players are on a server. Even 10+ years of technical advancement after BF2 was released, games still have poor hit detection issues being reported, even SQUAD.

7 hours ago, Catindabox said:

One hardcore PR fanboy on the steam forums would not believe me when I said that PR actually has much worse hit detection than Squad...

To be fair, SQUAD's hit detection isn't great now,  and they still have 20 more player slots to implement into the game. 

We'll have to wait and see how it is with 100 players on a server.  It might end up being not much better than PR.

Getting back on the topic at hand- 

80-player servers are not performing as well as we'd like. Server tick rates appear fine when payers are spread out at the start of matches. Once players are condensed into close proximity the tick rates bounce down into the single digits. So, this idea of 100-player server being a reality is difficult to believe. Unless you simply mean to state that you connected 100 players to a server all at once, regardless of the performance likely being S***. 

3 hours ago, RickDoodBrah said:

Getting back on the topic at hand- 

80-player servers are not performing as well as we'd like. Server tick rates appear fine when payers are spread out at the start of matches. Once players are condensed into close proximity the tick rates bounce down into the single digits. So, this idea of 100-player server being a reality is difficult to believe. Unless you simply mean to state that you connected 100 players to a server all at once, regardless of the performance likely being S***. 

I agree, performance has not been great with 80 player servers that require a 4+ Ghz i7 to even run the server reliably.  There's 20 more slots to implement, and unless there's some great magic technological bag of tricks the developers are going to pull from, it seems rather difficult to believe SQUAD is going to get there and be able to maintain  good performance.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but I do think it'll take some "magic" to do so on the UE4 engine that isn't built specifically for the task.

I hope, that they can reache those magic 100 ppl-servers, but other games promising more than 64 in EA failed, too. 

BUT I BELEVIE IN YOU!!!

No one has ever solved the hit detection completely simply because there is a physical limitation: network lag won't ever be zero. So when 2 players act on their ends the server must decide which action is valid given that the timing each action arrives at the server is variable, so there will always be a trade off involved. That is the main reason hit detection won't ever be perfect.

17 hours ago, Zenrique said:

No one has ever solved the hit detection completely simply because there is a physical limitation: network lag won't ever be zero. So when 2 players act on their ends the server must decide which action is valid given that the timing each action arrives at the server is variable, so there will always be a trade off involved. That is the main reason hit detection won't ever be perfect.

Thats one of the main reasons why online games, particularly FPS games have inbuilt server side player ping kickers.

On 1/10/2017 at 10:04 AM, RickDoodBrah said:

So, this idea of 100-player server being a reality is difficult to believe. Unless you simply mean to state that you connected 100 players to a server all at once, regardless of the performance likely being S***. 

It was mainly a test to see if 100 players could be in server, then some stress testing took place to see how things unfolded with a little activity on the map. I was sitting at around 25 - 30 fps, then when all the shooting happened in close proximity, I sat at around 10 -15fps, before I exploded from a grenade.

A video someone managed to record at the end of the 100p test.

I see 50v50 being something that will happen. Game and server optimizations haven't peaked yet in the development. 

Forget about BF2 or PR chaps because Novalogic JointOperations was (i think) numero uno to introduce 100plus player carnage,:P...Let me tell y'all the most complaints was..."Damn Lag" hit detection was allover the place, but we loved it,because we'd Epic battles & loads of fun.

Those who want a perfect hit box/lag free...See ya in the next century!.

Squad will do it,our devs want it,so do we... :D

HappyDays

579803-917867_20040622_007.jpg

On 9.1.2017 at 1:47 PM, banOkay said:

So many videos like this.

Meh, a handfull of shady videos are no proof at all. Never had serious problems when playing.

I think that V9 and the animation overhaul will help with hit detection immensely.
Not directly mind you, it has nothing to do with netcode, BUT at the moment there are many animations or to be more precise states of the player characters between animations, which lack a lot(or in some cases any) frames. What I mean is that you'll see a player suddenly jerk and change his rotation and position in an instant, while for example sprinting forward and suddenly pressing A or D in addition to W. Same goes for a lot of other animations and getting into/out of them and inbetween them, where there is just a visible lack of what I would call procedurality, of which a great improvement can be seen for instance on one of the teaser .gifs about the new animation system - specifically the one about the character turning his upper body. Hopefully the same progress will be made on changing stances as I believe that affects hitboxes quite a bit.
A bit unrelated, it'd be intersting to see a difference between going to prone from standing up versus from a crouch and vice versa...

Edited by Peerun

We're running a 5.0GHz i7 with 3200MHz memory, we'd love to see how 100+ players performs on it. At 80 players, it doesn't skip a beat.

I don't give a **** about lag or hit detection if its not too noticeable. More players is way more fun. I played PR for ages but only really got into it at 100 players, and even then it still feels a bit empty. I remember testing 128 players and even 200 players with PRTA and that was the most fun I ever had on PR.

Edited by Fallcon

15 hours ago, Fallcon said:

I don't give a **** about lag or hit detection if its not too noticeable. More players is way more fun. I played PR for ages but only really got into it at 100 players, and even then it still feels a bit empty. I remember testing 128 players and even 200 players with PRTA and that was the most fun I ever had on PR.

No doubt, 100 players would be nice to have soon beings how big some of the maps are getting 

On 1/11/2017 at 6:17 PM, Xx-RAGING-DEATH-xX said:

Forget about BF2 or PR chaps because Novalogic JointOperations was (i think) numero uno to introduce 100plus player carnage,:P...Let me tell y'all the most complaints was..."Damn Lag" hit detection was allover the place, but we loved it,because we'd Epic battles & loads of fun.

Those who want a perfect hit box/lag free...See ya in the next century!.

Squad will do it,our devs want it,so do we... :D

HappyDays

579803-917867_20040622_007.jpg

I still hold records in that game for double kills.

I think Squad's hit detection is pretty damn good right now compared to what it was as well as some other games.  Hit detection is one of my pet peeves in games so I tend to notice it when it's bad.  Like in Player Unknowns Battlegrounds.  Horrible hit detection in that game sometimes, it's seriously annoying.  Squad seems good but of course there is always room for improvement :)