Sign in to follow this  
Vinny1001

Any options for smaller squads? [2-4 man/women squad]

Alright, I feel that many will bash on this, but I'll stand up to the plate.

I am a player whose mainly played games in smaller squads. This is usually with closer friends that you have known and make a GREAT team. Always covering each other, AS WELL as other Squads, defending, attacking properly, or even flanking around (since it's a smaller squad, it can be done easier) the enemy to help another squad move forward, or to simply help clear up the area, or even their base. I have also ran larger or normal size squads in other games and it was alright, but sometimes many people use the mics and it's harder to communicate properly, as well as hearing the in game effects. I have used the squad leader chats (talking from squad leader to squad leader) in some games, and it works. I'll mention I can take my SMALL squad around for a flank, for the larger squad just suppressing the enemy, and it works well (most the time :P).

But because of some of the issues, I choose to play in smaller squads with closer friends. Our squad still  becomes a team squad in sense of helping the team out and other squads, no matter what size they are. Now, you may be thinking "Oh, he must be a sniper" or "Oh a squad full of snipers" False. I'm usually a class relating to engineer or support, my friends are usually medic or a standard rifle class, and RARELY, we'll have a sniper. It just depends on the situation NEEDED.

Now,

I know this game is HUGE on squad play, I get that. But what about smaller sized squads that actually contribute very positively to the overall team, as well as their well-being? The team can have large or small squads all contributing in many ways, as long as it's done properly.

Can a smaller size squad get SOME sort of options? Anything relating to spawning, or minor base building, or maybe just everything costs more resources since it's a smaller squad? Anything would help.

I'll let the bashing begin lol especially from the "hardcore" PR players whom when I played last wouldn't tell me how to press ONE key , but instead yelled at me to look at the manual. xD

Developers, I'm more looking for a response from you guys. I just hope there are some options to cover a wider player base. 

I assume that there will be Squad-lock options and an SL kick-player feature.

I understand where you're coming from. But community engagement is a big thing with PR and Squad. I'm always happy to have new people in my Squad. You never know where your next best mate is going to come from. 

When servers are ran by the community, admins can enforce rules like no locked squads or a minimum amount of people in a locked squad. PR is free, go download it if you haven't and try it out if you want to see how the squads work.

Small squads have inherent value, and do not require additional incentives. Be they Recon squads, Ambush squads, FOB hunters, Tank Hunters, they have many uses. As long as the developers include a system(*) that allows players to tailor their squads for niche operations, it shouldn't be a problem.

Some squads need to be small, and some need to be large. For example, you don't ever want to make a 9-man mortar team, a 9-man bridge demolition team, a 9-man FOB-building team, (etc.) The game just needs to provide some incentives to having large squads so the game doesn't devolve into x20 3-man squads wandering nowhere near an objective. One of these incentives is probably going to be access to limited kits (machinegunner, light anti-tank, designated marksman).

But of course, players shouldn't have the attitude of "I refuse to play this game unless I can be in a locked squad with my 3 other friends on TeamSpeak".

(and on a tangential note, I really hope the 10 squad limit gets removed later in development. It really sucks when you see a bunch of squads gallivanting about nowhere near the objectives, but you can't become an officer to fix the problem because there are no squad slots left)

Cheesy, like I said, as a small squad person, we work with the whole team in terms of support, flanking, and even communicating between squads. So I think that would be fine.

Para, I don't think the core of the game would get ruined, as in PR or even BF2, there were rarely small squads. I feel that with teams of 50, there'll be enough groups playing together to be in large squads.

So to bounce off that, Nightingale, has a point. Some small squads are necessary in terms of flanking. I don't always want to be in a LARGE squad ALWAYS being noticed. It's harder to flank and be more discrete with a larger squad. Hence why I choose smaller squads, it's eaiser to communicate and have more options in terms of flanking and helping the team out, or providing cover for large squads in vehicles and so forth. I think it would provide a good mix. Maybe limit the amount of small squads that can be on a team? I'm pretty sure this game wouldn't turn into "all squads of 2-3 people" considering many are PR players and will group up, and already many people are welcoming. 

I'm just simply looking for an option for smaller squads to be allowed some features without being to overpowered as if they were a large squad. Hence the maybe a smaller squad has to use more resources to build rather than if you have a larger squad, resources won't be a toll. 

And yes, I get servers will have options in terms of squad locking, or squad amounts, but I'm curious if there'll be any FEATURES, or options, for smaller squads similar to if they were a larger squad.

I don't think it's fair that a smaller squad who does a LOT for the team and other squads gets nothing.

So developers, can this be addressed? I'd think you guys are stuck on large squads, but look at the big picture, there are players out there that run small squads that are as efficient as a large squad in terms of what they're capable of because of their smaller size and the different angles of support they can bring.

Thanks for the nice feedback so far!

Do you feel like large squads get rewarded with stuff that small squads don't get access to??? Could you clarify what the problem is exactly?

As per this thread. Devs have confirmed Fireteams inside of squads. But nothing mentioned there for smaller squads. 

Also the devs mention maybe FT radios. 

At the moment SL have 4 possibly 5 people to communicate with (sl's).. 15 or 20 squads (small) and you have a logisticial knigtmare on your hands.. an some very noisy comms. We al have our own opionins but i do feel 4-5 squads of 9 is best.

Night, squads require X amount of players to be in the squad to be able to build and spawn. If you're squad is to small, you can't place any spawn point or have any access to building, which seems a little unfair.

What I'm curious about is if a smaller squad can still have access to some of those features, without being forced to have a large squad when wanting to remain small for many reasons as I've listed prior. I'm saying to balance having a small squad would be making building cost more resources, but you can still do it. If you have a larger squad, you get more resources or stuff costs less, whichever way to balance it. So an incentive to be in larger squads can be to have better mechanics, but I personally am more into strategy in flanking and covering other squads with 2 others give or take.

What's in it for smaller squads to be able to run flanks and cover other squads without hearing every 10 people in the squad chatting at once? I could just Voice to the other squad leader letting them know I am taking my small team around a flank. It's worked very well before, so I don't see why it would be put in the shadows in this game. There should be both large and small squads, and they should have similar mechanics/features, but obviously balance it. A small squad shouldn't get a crapload of resources as a larger squad would need. So that would be a tradeoff for running a small squad.

Idk, I guess the hardcore PR players won't like this, but I've ran like this in many games and is my play style and would love to incorporate it into a beautiful game like Squad.

EDIT:

Like, at least let smaller squads place rally points down, and allow them to build the same, but make it more costly or take more time in that sense so if players choose to be in a small squad, they have to deal with more difficulty building so they're forced more into combat.  Stuff like that. Idk. argh.

I'm more often than not in smaller squads(in PR, not Squad) because while you need some proper full-size squads to hold the line against the enemy team's effort, you also need to be able to strike key points/targets in a surprising manner, which involves moving around on the map swiftly and stealthily - doesn't work quite as well with a full squad. As of right now there isn't really an incentive to do that because the battles are infantry-only, but once armoured vehicles are added, once logistics are necessary for both teams, there will be a definite need for some dedicated squads that are being tasked with a specific target in mind(demolition and harassment tactics) rather than holding or gaining ground.

At the moment SL have 4 possibly 5 people to communicate with (sl's).. 15 or 20 squads (small) and you have a logisticial knigtmare on your hands.. an some very noisy comms. We al have our own opionins but i do feel 4-5 squads of 9 is best.

9 squads isn't an issue in PR. To only have 9-man squads is simply a waste of manpower.

I just think there should be both options (large/small) with the same features, but balanced.

There wouldn't be 20 small squads. Most players will be in larger squads. Even in games like BF2 people were in large squads with few small squads. We need small squad support.  If you play games with all squads of 2-4 then you're playing the wrong game or with the wrong people/community lol.

There won't be a logistical nightmare in any hands unless you lack a brain or are wanting to troll. Lol. One of my degrees are in logistics/supply chain. I understand logistics. I explained multiple times already that what I've done works, if done correctly, and works most of the time with serious players or SL's. I can be in my small squad and voice to Squad #4 that I'll be flanking around with my squad and work together in that aspect as well as more scenarios. Or I can let a Squad# know I'm coming over with a vehicle as a distraction so their squad can move up and take the enemy out. Any situation you can think of. I don't see the problem in wanting a smaller squad for better maneuverability and being more hidden. It's worked most of my time doing it this way as long as the person is willing to cooperate. If there are already players willing to play serious, then small squads shouldn't be an issue because those too should take it serious. If not, then it can be claimed that ANY player, may or may not take the game serious. That's in any game, who cares. Give the options though.

I honestly don't see an issue yet lol. It's worked before so I don't see why it wouldn't, as long as it's implemented/balanced correctly. Players shouldn't be forced to play in large squads, but more so make it a choice for if you join a larger squad, then you get more resources and that entails a lot. If you're in a smaller squad, you get little, so you best work your tail off in flanks and large squad support. This game is coming along great. Keep up the great work developers!

Developers, can you give your thoughts? I need someone who will actually give me a justifiable explanation.