Bash

Commander role should have access to drones

Balance would be an issue so maybe only in defensive or special situations?  Also, not to the extreme advantage of predator, or maybe perhaps since it is realistic?  What do you all think?

I'd like to play as Commander if I could do some fly-by-wire drone attacks.

I suppose it would be realistic and immersive to have drones, but instead of the big, accurate missiles we shoot today, it'd probably be a good idea to tone it down to something like a grenade (or maybe even just a low-caliber burst of fire) and make it much less accurate, for game balance reasons. I'd hate to be out in the open or in a small building when something as tough as C4 rains from the heavens and kills me through a wall.

I'd bet that eventually, when a Commander system is implemented, he will have access to a drone. But I doubt it will have weapons.

I suppose it would be realistic and immersive to have drones, but instead of the big, accurate missiles we shoot today, it'd probably be a good idea to tone it down to something like a grenade (or maybe even just a low-caliber burst of fire) and make it much less accurate, for game balance reasons. I'd hate to be out in the open or in a small building when something as tough as C4 rains from the heavens and kills me through a wall.

This is squad, not Battlefield. It probably doesn't make a lot of sense making  realistic armies, weapons, gear and vehicles and then adding an unrealistic drone just for the sake of having it.

Either realistic or not at all.

Also unarmed scouting drones make much more sense and especially if you can build drone starter ramps like this:

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/ein-drohne-10914950.jpg

Having a flying scout is also very strong for a game like this, so you don't even need Hellfire-drones.

This is squad, not Battlefield. It probably doesn't make a lot of sense making  realistic armies, weapons, gear and vehicles and then adding an unrealistic drone just for the sake of having it.

Either realistic or not at all.

Also unarmed scouting drones make much more sense and especially if you can build drone starter ramps like this:

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/ein-drohne-10914950.jpg

Having a flying scout is also very strong for a game like this, so you don't even need Hellfire-drones.

Eh, not everything can be 100% realistic in Squad, I can tell you that much. I see what you mean, though it sounds kind of hostile to tell me it's not battlefield when I already know that full well, I just have a different opinion on the subject.

If the commander gets access to a drone, then he will have a very very good aerial view of the entire battlefield. He will be able to see where the enemy's spawn points are, how the enemy's chain-of-supply works, where their defensive positions are, and where the enemy is about to attack next.

In pre-v1.3 PR (when the UAV could be used forever with no penalties) it completely ruined the uncertain nature of PR's gameplay. When you use it to direct your team's mortar fire (which have a range of ~1500m) then you can easily destroy every enemy FOB in less than 2 minutes, and then constantly counter-mortar the enemy mortars as they are being constructed, ensuring that your team has domination of the map for the rest of the round.

As you can imagine, UAV+mortars was just waaay too useful, so in v1.3 the devs of PR made it require the UAV refueling and gave it long deployment times so you couldn't constantly be using it. Not knowing where the enemy is is what makes PR/SQUAD a good game, because it means you have to play carefully instead of depending on a magic eye-in-the-sky to tell you it's safe to run over that hill. It is good gameplay to be forced to walk over a hill and do visual observation of the enemy.

I think this game really doesn't need a UAV/drone. And there needs to be a lot of strong justification (eg. better justification than "well armies use it in real life" or "drone missile attacks are cool") to introduce it into the gameplay.

But... why no further discussion D:

No, because.. Gameplay.

Eh, not everything can be 100% realistic in Squad, I can tell you that much. I see what you mean, though it sounds kind of hostile to tell me it's not battlefield when I already know that full well, I just have a different opinion on the subject.

There have been a lot of discussion of the drones at first half of this year, both pros and cons sides. I don't like them personally (while there is techinacally working ones in use RL) because in game like this they have a bit same effect as 3D spotting. They take out many flanking and strategic gameplay elements because you are not hidden basicly anywhere and counter measures will be hard and efford to use one is minimal. They just don't fit in nicely the tactical&strategical mindset of this game environment.

im all in for a spotting drone that is limited in fuel (like Nightingale said before)

but i think that combination of an all seeing eye and deadly precision strikes (even towned done) would be to powerful

There may be room for one as a single use, time limited function. Only deploy able within certain parameters.

IE Western forces are down by 100 tickets, allowing commander  to deploy recon drone for 90 seconds?

I don't fully see the requirement for one but IF it is implemented, the above would be forgivable. 

WAR is old and set in his ways, and tends to habitually just post NO to people's ideas without generally backing up why he feels that way.

There have been some threads in the past about drones being implemented and I think they could potentially be brought into the game for the Commander slot and be done in a balanced and practical way.

A good discussion about them can be found here: http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/2323-new-kit/

WAR is old and set in his ways, and tends to habitually just post NO to people's ideas without generally backing up why he feels that way.

Hahahaa, it might be so. Atleast I'm somewhat set at my ways.

I would love to see the US side get an RQ-11 that just orbits at 100 meters around where it was launched from (not flyable) and gives a top down video link. It's a bit difficult to come up with a balanced item for the insurgent side, but I suppose they will get IEDs and what-not so it seems fair.

I would love to see the US side get an RQ-11 that just orbits at 100 meters around where it was launched from (not flyable) and gives a top down video link. It's a bit difficult to come up with a balanced item for the insurgent side, but I suppose they will get IEDs and what-not so it seems fair.

Yeah, I think I'd want the commander to spot an IED rather than it get blown up in my face.

What about something akin to the UAV you could use in Bad Company 2 (sans weapons)? I don't think the commander needs to be doing airstrikes via predator, but giving him a UAV with FLIR to fly high as hell over the battlefield would be pretty wonderful. As long as he was communicating to the team it would be a wonderful tool, just give it a cooldown or link it to constrcution pts so it can only be built at a super FOB. I don't really know a balanced way to implement it, but the commander needs more eyes and ears than the SLs.

Yes in real life we have drones but this is a game and gameplay and balance are important. I think maybe a very limited use would be okay ie: no raining death from the sky the entire match

I liked the PR system. [Engine complaints] It was hard to read the map and understand which direction you were facing, and coordinate that with your sightings, but the idea behind it was good.

If you were able to fly the uav from another post other than home base, that would be ideal, otherwise the commander gets stuck at base.

Yeah, I think flying a UAV would be too distracting and take at least one person to completely dedicate their attention to it. With the RQ-11 you can just set waypoints for it to travel through and repeat. Ideally the SL would be in control of this, with a video screen in their kit. A ground control station would be overkill I think. Maybe a lifetime of 5 minutes and a time limit where you can only launch one every 5-10 minutes and it can be destroyed by the other team.

Considering balance, the IED has the potential to take out an entire squad at once, so a UAV would provide additional information about enemy locations, albeit only in close proximity.

Also, it would be sooo satisfying to toss this thing and watch it fly off into the sky.

https://youtu.be/8RMB9WMdG6g?t=251

This aint no COD kill streak.

Intel should be gathered by human eyes(player models in game) and relayed via existing comms infastructure, in my opinion

Commanders are most likely going to have UAVs, why not really? They had 'em in PR, why not have 'em in SQUAD? It'd almost be silly to not have them haha. UAVs do have a cooldown if I am not mistaken in PR, so they go up, are used for a bit to scout an area for troops on the ground, info is relayed, then it RTBs to refuel and be ready for use later.

Because this is not BF4.  We don't need any damn trinkets.

This aint no COD kill streak.

Intel should be gathered by human eyes(player models in game) and relayed via existing comms infastructure, in my opinion

^ This.  Why?  See comment above.