Sign in to follow this  
2ST3P

Military Devices

Hi,

first of all i would like to congratulate the devs on this worthy successor of PR! I've been playing PR for about 3 years and I haven't come across something like this since.

Now back2topic:

As this game this should be an realistic approach on warfare simulation (at least this is what i suspect it to be) I would like to see a bunch of military devices used nowadays.

I was thinking of radio transmitters used to communicate via voip chat, PDA (Juniper Systems) for map/gps usage, instruments for weather calculations like Kestrel (if implemented), a compass, and so on...

I know that some of the mentioned is already implemented but I would like to see them as actual handheld devices not just part of the HUD (which at least for me is a really unrealistic thing).

PS: I hope this is not a duplicate of another thread as I tried to find something related using the search function.

greetings from germany

2St3P

that's a nice idea although i would not use "instruments" to describe what you are saying (mainly because it refers to music which is nice, war isn't). i would like to see that too maybe as kit customization? though i would make having a compass mandatory.

Thanks for your reply! I used 'instruments' because in germany it's (apart from music) used as a technical term for measuring devices. But i'll change that to avoid misunderstandings :)

I also agree that a compass should be mandatory and as you borught up kit customization weight should play a role putting mobilty in consideration.

Thanks for your reply! I used 'instruments' because in germany it's (apart from music) used as a technical term for measuring devices. But i'll change that to avoid misunderstandings :)

I also agree that a compass should be mandatory and as you borught up kit customization weight should play a role putting mobilty in consideration.

lol well you aren't wrong since it's the correct term. it's just at first i thought you were trying to say "instruments of war" which i generally associate with WMD's. maybe just me... but you were not wrong if that's what you meant

Garmin Forterex 101, 201, 301 and 401 were and are very common as GPS devices in the military (especially US).

But I think the Devs will carry over the system of PR:BF2, so you can see yourself on the map and have your compass at the bottom at your screen, so those devices are not really necessary.

Squad is not going to be a Military Simulaton btw.

It's a cool idea but it's always going to be part of the HUD. When I was reading through I pictured it in a way where you still have the same HUD elements but they're displayed on the equipment. Basically you open the map and it just has a fancy GPS / map outline on it, makes it feel like it's on something (similar to Kestrels and other equipment from the ACE mod for ARMA if anyone is familiar with it, same with radios from ACRE)

The other way I thought of would be the player physically holding the device and you seeing the information displayed there, kind of a PIP function. So to get a map your character would physically either get a map out or a GPS device where you see the information on the screen within it.

It's a great idea in my opinion but I think it would result in a lot of deaths / add more stress for players. Already bad enough dying when you have a map on screen! :P

You totally described what I was thinking of. At least for me it could be some kind oft a mixture oft both PIP and outline elements.

E.g. compass and kestrel could be PIP elements and for the map you get an GPS like outline.

Adding a bit of stress to the gameplay isn't a bad thing imo because real combat situations are stressy.