eggman

Stuff I see as a priority for Alpha

Hey Gents,

Absolutely brilliant work on the Alpha. Loving it. When we were working together on PR we very much took the approach of gameplay first, aesthetics second. As an example we put a Sniper rifle onto a class in a faction to get the gameplay right before we waited on the "right" sniper rifle model being modeled, textured, animated, coded, etc. This enabled us to iterate rapidly on gameplay design and tuning and "eventually" get the right models into the game.

I realize y'all have a roadmap, but for the success of the Alpha in terms of player enjoyment the following are what I see as priorities:

1. A long rifle with optics for the Insurgent faction
    • With the ACOG "sniper" and the actual Sniper (never played it) from the US this is a gameplay affecting issue
    • Not saying the game should be symmetrical, but imo this is a problem that will make an already less desirable faction even more undesirable to play
  2. Squad Leader accountabilities
    • The SL on a team can make or break your gameplay enjoyment; as a result I think you need to make some adjustments to it so that unintentional squad leads are not messing up gameplay
    • A noticeable UI notification when you have become SL due to existing SL disconnect etc.
    • An ability to pass the SL role to another squad member
    • An ability to define a squad 2iC so that if the SL does disconnect, it's known who will take over. You could hardcode this initially to run through the roles on the team and, if populated, make them the SL (SAW --> Grenadier --> AT Gunner --> etc).
    • It would be preferable to have a 2iC be defined in the game UI
  3. Spawn In bugs
    • Nothing more annoying in an FPS than not being able to spawn. I notice a few different spawn bugs - these should be a priority imo
  4. In game HUD
    • I notice some new HUD elements in the latest build. Not sure if they are working bug free or as intended, but they seem a bit wonky.
    • Games like this and PR need absolutely minimal HUD, but I believe you can do a lot with very little and you guys have a great start
    • I would really focus on the UX and UI design of the in game HUD and polish the shit out of it. I find myself far too often using the Map (remapped to the TAB key because I am using it so much). I am sure you do not want this, but it's needed for spacial orientation because of the minimalist hud.
    • Some suggestions:
      • when a guy is talking fade in a boost to his tag view range
      • when a guy is talking show a speaker icon next to his name
      • make rally points not from your squad blue in the Map
      • enable the SL to set an objective (later add waypoints) and show a subtle direction indicator to the objective in the compass
      • tone down the vibrancy of the recently added squad member direction indicators on the compass and make them have clearly delineated stages of distance from the squad member. Maybe as simple as 3 stages: near (bright); far (dim) too far (not shown).
      • Implement a UI mechanism that makes it clear I am wounded or am bleeding; something subtle, but there needs to be a little bit more (but NOT a health % indicator). It's a bit difficult to tell how close I am to being incapacitated and it seems to go from OK to really bad without much additional UI feedback.
      • More clearly delineate between suppressed and hit. A lot of the time I cannot really tell I have been hit; in reality I would very much know I had been hit.
      • Leave blood stains when a guy has been hit (NOT excessive splatter, but a blood stain to confirm a hit upon closer inspection)

The actual gameplay is surprisingly good and very stable. The above thoughts are not meant to be comprehensive, just some things I think would help with the enjoyment of the alpha. If you only did one of those things I would strongly encourage the addition of a rifle with optics for the Insurgents.

Cheers and thanks for a great job on this early build of the game.

Eamonn aka eggman

I agree that options for the SL are needed. We were having problems all last night with the game kicking my buddy from the SL role and then having to go through the process of telling people to leave until he became SL again.

Although it does look like the UI is already set up to have SL options (refer to the yellow highlighted box on the image below).

p7alqbn.jpg

We were having problems all last night with the game kicking my buddy from the SL role and then having to go through the process of telling people to leave until he became SL again.

I've ran into this multiple times, probably the least fun bit of the Closed Alpha so far.

One thing i think this game needs ASAP, is the option to brace your weapon on obstacles, because mg's are useless from long ranges, i know a bipod need animations but a simple placing on objects can be a good placeholder.

One thing i think this game needs ASAP, is the option to brace your weapon on obstacles, because mg's are useless from long ranges, i know a bipod need animations but a simple placing on objects can be a good placeholder.

Agreed - ability to deploy a bipod or brace against a wall would be ideal for sustained, accurate long bursts from a squad support weapon.  No doubt it's in the pipeline.

Hey Gents,

Absolutely brilliant work on the Alpha. Loving it. When we were working together on PR we very much took the approach of gameplay first, aesthetics second. As an example we put a Sniper rifle onto a class in a faction to get the gameplay right before we waited on the "right" sniper rifle model being modeled, textured, animated, coded, etc. This enabled us to iterate rapidly on gameplay design and tuning and "eventually" get the right models into the game.

I realize y'all have a roadmap, but for the success of the Alpha in terms of player enjoyment the following are what I see as priorities:

• A long rifle with optics for the Insurgent faction

• With the ACOG "sniper" and the actual Sniper (never played it) from the US this is a gameplay affecting issue
    • Not saying the game should be symmetrical, but imo this is a problem that will make an already less desirable faction even more undesirable to play
  • Squad Leader accountabilities

• The SL on a team can make or break your gameplay enjoyment; as a result I think you need to make some adjustments to it so that unintentional squad leads are not messing up gameplay
    • A noticeable UI notification when you have become SL due to existing SL disconnect etc.
    • An ability to define a squad 2iC so that if the SL does disconnect, it's known who will take over. You could hardcode this initially to run through the roles on the team and, if populated, make them the SL (SAW --> Grenadier --> AT Gunner --> etc).
  • Spawn In bugs

• Nothing more annoying in an FPS than not being able to spawn. I notice a few different spawn bugs - these should be a priority imo
  • In game HUD

• I notice some new HUD elements in the latest build. Not sure if they are working bug free or as intended, but they seem a bit wonky.
    • Games like this and PR need absolutely minimal HUD, but I believe you can do a lot with very little and you guys have a great start
    • I would really focus on the UX and UI design of the in game HUD and polish the shit out of it. I find myself far too often using the Map (remapped to the TAB key because I am using it so much). I am sure you do not want this, but it's needed for spacial orientation because of the minimalist hud.
    • Some suggestions:

• enable the SL to set an objective (later add waypoints) and show a subtle direction indicator to the objective in the compass
    • tone down the vibrancy of the recently added squad member direction indicators on the compass and make them have clearly delineated stages of distance from the squad member. Maybe as simple as 3 stages: near (bright); far (dim) too far (not shown).
    • Implement a UI mechanism that makes it clear I am wounded or am bleeding; something subtle, but there needs to be a little bit more (but NOT a health % indicator). It's a bit difficult to tell how close I am to being incapacitated and it seems to go from OK to really bad without much additional UI feedback.
    • More clearly delineate between suppressed and hit. A lot of the time I cannot really tell I have been hit; in reality I would very much know I had been hit.
    • Leave blood stains when a guy has been hit (NOT excessive splatter, but a blood stain to confirm a hit upon closer inspection)

The actual gameplay is surprisingly good and very stable. The above thoughts are not meant to be comprehensive, just some things I think would help with the enjoyment of the alpha. If you only did one of those things I would strongly encourage the addition of a rifle with optics for the Insurgents.

Eamonn aka eggman

Well said

I am having audio issues when getting shot I I cannot transmit orders or communication. We I get killed and respawn again squad chat will become inactive ie unable to communicate with squad members and it blocks and local communications too so that issue need to be fixed.

Hey Gents,

• A long rifle with optics for the Insurgent faction

• Squad Leader accountabilities

• Spawn In bugs

• In game HUD

• Some suggestions:

Eamonn aka eggman

Jeez mate. Why not implement custom skins and zombies?

Or why not just play call of duty and be done with it?

@ Eggman,

Thanks for the input bud, very concise & well thought out.

I`m sure the designers will give your ideas consideration as they do with all suggestions.

Hey Gents,

Eamonn aka eggman

I've been hoping for some sort of "Sergeant Kit' that would basically be the SL's right hand man and fireteam leader. Upon a SL disconnect, the sergeant would be field promoted to SL for squad continuity.

I've been hoping for some sort of "Sergeant Kit' that would basically be the SL's right hand man and fireteam leader. Upon a SL disconnect, the sergeant would be field promoted to SL for squad continuity.

The ability to designate FTs and FTLs is a planned portion of the game, and one I look forward to greatly.

I do agree the ability to transfer leadership is needed, but thats been needed since PR, so I doubt its a surprise, and I'm sure we'll see it.

Designating the 2IC would also be nice for the SL DC as has been mentioned.

Lotta cool things in the plans already, nothin we can do as plebs but wait it out :)

For those wondering or couldn't work it out, 2IC - 2nd in command.

I do look forward to being able to designate my right hand man. 

The ability to designate FTs and FTLs is a planned portion of the game, and one I look forward to greatly.

I do agree the ability to transfer leadership is needed, but thats been needed since PR, so I doubt its a surprise, and I'm sure we'll see it.

Designating the 2IC would also be nice for the SL DC as has been mentioned.

Lotta cool things in the plans already, nothin we can do as plebs but wait it out :)

As a not-Brit I'm curious; what really is a pleb? 

Hey, this is great feedback!

I was pretty sure I added that in this build.  It appears to be bugged.  It'll be fixed in the next one.  

As a not-Brit I'm curious; what really is a pleb? 

ple·be·ian
pləˈbēən/
noun
noun: plebeian; plural noun: plebeians
(in ancient Rome) a commoner.

In this case implying non-developers.

I agree that options for the SL are needed. We were having problems all last night with the game kicking my buddy from the SL role and then having to go through the process of telling people to leave until he became SL again.

I've ran into this multiple times, probably the least fun bit of the Closed Alpha so far.

The current best way to accomplish this is for the desired SL to create a new squad and everyone just join it. It is faster and easier, if not elegant. :) 

The current best way to accomplish this is for the desired SL to create a new squad and everyone just join it. It is faster and easier, if not elegant. :)

True, but as stated, there's going to be a better way later on so you don't have to play Musical ChairSquad

I heard somewhere in these forums that the reason for the insergents not having a scope on the SVD yet is to mitigate the chances of players taking that class and just going out and lone wolf sniping their hearts out. Not saying that people don't do it regardless but at this point in development it's a good option to promote teamwork. It will be in with due time though. Remember that this is still very early in development and things will change for better or worse.

P.s. The SVD is still very deadly at distance with the iron sights

I heard somewhere in these forums that the reason for the insergents not having a scope on the SVD yet is to mitigate the chances of players taking that class and just going out and lone wolf sniping their hearts out. Not saying that people don't do it regardless but at this point in development it's a good option to promote teamwork. It will be in with due time though. Remember that this is still very early in development and things will change for better or worse.

this would make sense, due to the fact that the SVD =/= M4 + ACOG, in terms of the calibers, what these 2 rifles are built for, etc.

Agreed on pretty much all of what was said before! Pretty well put.

just the zombies and custom skins im not so sure about :)

If they make the SVD as accurate as the one in PR, we got nothing to worry about, probably the most worthless long range rifle there is in PR. XD

But when i take the SVD, i try to get somewhere up high overlooking the area where my squad is so i can give information of enemy positions or movements to them and help them out when they are engaged by the enemy.

If they make the SVD as accurate as the one in PR, we got nothing to worry about, probably the most worthless long range rifle there is in PR. XD

But when i take the SVD, i try to get somewhere up high overlooking the area where my squad is so i can give information of enemy positions or movements to them and help them out when they are engaged by the enemy.

that's honestly like the most important part of having that kind of optics in your kit. being a good sniper is like 90% calling out targets effectively and 10% killing them. since once you open up you immediately give away your position.