Catindabox

Impressions from New Players?

Hello guys!

We want to hear from some of the new batch of players what it feels like to get your feet wet for the first time in-game? :D How have your rounds been so far and what do you think of the current mechanics?

No clutter on the screen.  Love the compass and how it helps you see your teammates.  I know the map is a work-in-progress.

No dust or particles in the air to hinder my ability to spot enemies.

I would say it reminds me of Insurgency in terms of the realism aspect, but without the BS and better graphics.  Many more people seem squad/team oriented.

No clutter on the screen.  Love the compass and how it helps you see your teammates.  I know the map is a work-in-progress.

No dust or particles in the air to hinder my ability to spot enemies.

I would say it reminds me of Insurgency in terms of the realism aspect, but without the BS and better graphics.  Many more people seem squad/team oriented.

Yeah squad/team oriented. dont be that guy that go's in solo constantly or just dont lisen to wat people are saying!

Or are not communicating at all

Example we had a 2 squads of 9 players and 1 squad of 4 players, our squad was doing the flag with the other squad of 4.

and the other squad of 9 was almost on the other side of the map building fobs!

not lisening to the other teams and not communicating.

And then over reacting when people ask wtf you are doing!

If you want to build fobs check out the game go to a low populated server to goof around plz dont pick a almost full server!

Trust me you dont want to make a bad name for yourself because u will be [email protected]#% when they implement kicking from squads!

because the serious players will probbably remember your names if u fuck around too much !

Peppie

As a new player i have found that without a squad leader who knows what they are doing , things can go wrong fast. I have had around 5-6 games today . The first two where amazing . Proper organization and communication .

And the others seemed to be all new guys (Like me ) We need you Vets to step in and whip us in to shape

Things have been great. Only a few problems/issues that I've noticed. Most are prolly more personal than anything.

Maybe it's my graphics settings being on Ultra but I feel like others are able to see me much easier than I can see anyone else. I guess too much foliage and junk idk. Might try turning it down.

Been a few bugs with the medic. Trying to apply bandages sometimes can take multiple tries or clicks. Even when person is "incompacitated". And the red dot (squad member down) will sometimes stick on your compass.

Switching between items can sometimes be frustrating. But that's no biggie. Just takes getting used to.

Other than that things have been amazing. The graphics are great and the maps look incredible. The gameplay is intense and immersive. The sounds are on point. And the community has been really cool.

Couldn't really ask for a better game in an alpha state. I've been having a blast.

Having played my fair share of alpha/beta releases over the years and the much more mature Project Reality, I wasn't expecting much more than basic gameplay out of the SQUAD alpha.

Upon entering my first game and looking around, all I can say is...Fucking Awesome!

The graphics, easy controls configuration,  weapon sounds and backblast of the RPG are great.  I found a squad with good communication and tactics in my 2nd match, we worked together and the game play was epic for an alpha version of the game.

Getting nit-picky and knowing SQUAD is only in its infancy stage, there are a few things that I think could do with some improvement. Playing as a medic, the bandage mechanic is sometimes a little buggy. The kits don't seem to have items under the same number selections, at least it felt that way to me after playing 4 of the different roles. This is just my personal preference, but it would be nice if the insurgents had a rifle with at least some type of sight or scope. I know insurgents don't have the funding of the armed forces, but at least some of them have sniper rifles or DMR's with a scope.

All in all, the game flows wonderfully for me.  Someone previously mentioned Insurgency, and I feel SQUAD is far superior in terms of teamwork and the benefit of tactics even in this alpha state. The controls feel much more fluid compared to those of ARMA, and I think the engine/optimization. is so much better.

I know it's really early, but considering the state of the game in alpha, SQUAD could grow to epic proportions if this quality of development continues. I have no doubts that will be the case. If the developers couple a reasonably competent AI for playing on your own with the modding capabilities and solid team game play, I could see SQUAD being played for many years to come.

To the developers, thank you for sharing your passion for gaming with us, and allowing us the opportunity to experience SQUAD as it grows. You guys have done an outstanding job thus far, and I look forward to all that is to come.

I'm brand new to this game and just downloaded it today.

WOW is the best word to describe it! Like mentioned above, I noticed that with some decent leadership by those who have had more experience, it makes the game flow a lot more. I really hope that the team based element of this game is kept throughout and that it doesn't attract the COD players!

I haven't had enough time to get a full feel for the game yet and haven't noted any major issues, but I hope to get a decent amount of game time over the next few weeks!

Before the servers went live last night (early AM 26 Sep) I had a fanny around on SP.  SP looked lush: lovely, minimal HUD; superb framerates even in more complex areas; nice little touches abound (shoot a water butt and watch the water leak out - of no practical use but nice attention to detail :)); controls - at times - were a wee bit slow to respond, raising weapon to aim being the most noticeable but otherwise, SP was fun.

Servers went live and in I jumped.  A lot of new guys in the same boat as me - "What? Who? Where? When?" - but we rapidly got into squads and the level of cohesion was a revelation: no lone wolves, everybody following the poor sod that volunteered to be SL's lead (something-River?  Nice guy, sounded German/Scandinavian/Dutch) and off we went a-shootin' and a-buildin' and a-dyin'....... I really enjoyed it, so much so it was 4AM UK before I knew it and I had to pack it in and get to bed :(

Love it - the potential is awesome!!

I really love this game. I've play PR for a while and this really does a lot of justice to the original. Like someone up above said, "WOW" is the best way to describe it.

The only complaint I have is people yelling, yelling obscenities, harassing over speech. Look, I might not be the best player (Really I know I'm not), but don't yell at me saying "You SUCK!". I would like to learn to play better. I'm sticking with the squad, I'm listening to what I'm being told to do, but still I get yelled at but random people. I know it's going to happen, but I will say, it was one thing I rarely saw in PR. I'm just hoping people become more useful with there speech than being toxic.

Mind you, out of the dozen or so games I've already played, this has only happened 2 or 3 times, BUT it's an ongoing, throughout the whole match. Pretty much just want to leave. Definitely not the game's fault by any means, I just hope people start being more helpful, especially to people just starting now.

Dude , i played, all day and i'm loving this game, everyone being super atencious, with squad leader tier,  and, i meet good friends in battlefield, 1 guys is Bruno from paraguay .
Sorry for my english i'm almost 24 hours awake , playing SQUAD

I really love this game. I've play PR for a while and this really does a lot of justice to the original. Like someone up above said, "WOW" is the best way to describe it.

The only complaint I have is people yelling, yelling obscenities, harassing over speech. Look, I might not be the best player (Really I know I'm not), but don't yell at me saying "You SUCK!". I would like to learn to play better. I'm sticking with the squad, I'm listening to what I'm being told to do, but still I get yelled at but random people. I know it's going to happen, but I will say, it was one thing I rarely saw in PR. I'm just hoping people become more useful with there speech than being toxic.

Mind you, out of the dozen or so games I've already played, this has only happened 2 or 3 times, BUT it's an ongoing, throughout the whole match. Pretty much just want to leave. Definitely not the game's fault by any means, I just hope people start being more helpful, especially to people just starting now.

Please ignore anyone who says you suck.. you don't the game is hugely complex underneath and there is a lot to learn. even after 8 weeks I still get lost or confused sometimes. So if you do have any questions or need a little guidance in game and i am around give me a shout.. I don't mind taking SL and show you the basics. Stick with it, and you will see the amazing game shine through.

Please ignore anyone who says you suck.. you don't the game is hugely complex underneath and there is a lot to learn. even after 8 weeks I still get lost or confused sometimes. So if you do have any questions or need a little guidance in game and i am around give me a shout.. I don't mind taking SL and show you the basics. Stick with it, and you will see the amazing game shine through.

I'm definitely sticking with it. I really enjoy how in depth this game truly is. I think one of the biggest issues I have is the actual shooting of the gun. I'm so used to other shooters where when I fire these guns, they're completely different (more accurate really).There is definitely a lot for me to learn, but I'm noticing a lot in game are that way. It's really fun getting in those groups that everyone is still learning BUT actually being productive and playing the objective. I try not to let the griefers bug me, but it just gets annoying after a bit.

I think one of the biggest issues I have is the actual shooting of the gun. I'm so used to other shooters where when I fire these guns, they're completely different (more accurate really).There is definitely a lot for me to learn

I find that is the fun aspect about MilSim games, you really have to "bend" your weapon and get the feel of it, in every aspect relative to your situation.

Everything has it's own, deep "feeling" to it. And of course, you can get a lot better with time, even though the learning curve isn't too steep at some point.

​SQUAD has that feeling right now, which is a good sign, now we'll see how that evolves.

I have around 17-20 games in so far and my biggest pet peeve is being the SL but not being the SL, now let me explain.

About 6 of those games my SL would always ask me where should we go, is this a good spot, what would you build here, etc.. instead of letting me take the role he would just ask me because "He wants to build the Fob"

If you are constantly asking someone if you should do this or that you should let them take the role, watch them and learn, simple right?!

Great feedback guys. We know their are a bunch of hikes for sure. (Medic system) be we are quite proud of making it this far.

Future looking good. Join my squad anytime!

Started playing yesterday.  Absolutely intense.  The sounds really pull you into the game.  Whomever works on the audio, keep kicking mad amounts of ass because you're really nailing that loud combat sound.  Having to yell on the mic while everyone is firing off next to you just pushes it to 11.

I really love how when you join a server you're in almost instantly.  The amount of teamwork that people use naturally is great.  Already made some battle buddies outside of my normal group who, when they see me, already know what to expect of me and vice versa.

Currently, I think the only weakness so far is inherent to the gameplay this game sets up.  Teamwork.  Like I said, the teamwork is great but if you have a SL who doesn't have a mic or doesn't communicate with the squad, the game goes instantly stale.  It sucks being in a worthless squad and the others are full so you're stuck essentially doing your own thing. 

Outside of that though, I just can't wait for more!

This. 

I wanted to read the whole thread before I added a comment. But new folks, please look for guys like Para. They will stick out because their squads will fill up fast and you'll see them working together on the map. Most (if not all) of us who have been around and playing for the last couple of months have this same attitude. We love the game because of how people can and DO work together. We want you to enjoy that about the game too and we'll do everything we can to help you learn it and enjoy it. 

The more you enjoy working together the more we're going to enjoy the game. Also the fast you get up to speed with the game the sooner I can stop being SL and give it to you so I can run around yelling at people about how they need to stop moving while I heal them. :) 

Very glad to see so many positive first impressions of the game. New folks, don't be afraid to talk about anything that is wrong or could be better. At this point I've sort of become a fanboy and I might miss some things that would help the devs. 

What RaTzo said. Feel free to join my squad or even give me a shout. I have no problem lending a helping hand.

Iron, I actually remember seeing you last night in one of the games. Your squad was wrecking the map, it was amazing.

Update day 2:

Speaking of last night, that same game Iron, my squad had pushed way up, passed most of the capture points. (I was following orders). I tried asking many times why we were pushed up so far. Never got an answer from my squad lead on it each time. He kept building this castle. Don't get me wrong, it looked AMAZING, but I feel we were useless to the team. Since then, I've played on 3 different New York servers and Seattle servers to see if this is a common thing, and it seems more people are worried about making a glorified FOB. I understand FOB's are important, but it's not the only thing that's going to win us the game either. Having 10+ people in a FOB while the other team takes all the bases seems to be counter productive.

Please understand, I'm not mad, upset, anything. Just stating what I've seen.

It's because of this when the game is done, you hear "You guys suck, learn to play fa*****. Stop playing Minecraft."  and it goes on from that. I know it's not directed at me (hopefully), but when one person starts doing this, you hear the whole team start yelling at each other and yelling obscenities. It's only the 2nd day closed alpha has been open and people are still adjusting.

The last squad I was in, we had a FOB set up between two points (enemy and friendly). We held the line pretty well to the point the rest of the team was able to flank around, kill the enemies, and take the location. Awesome! But then the SL just wanted to keep building the FOB bigger. We had another squad mate there that has previously played this game and PR, and made a few suggestions. Explaining why staying where we were wasn't helpful for the team. The SL pretty much told him "No. We need to fortify this area before they come back".

So besides some people that are toxic or at least plain rude to others, us newer players need to be open to suggestions and helpful advice. Don't tell the guy that is helping to shut up or start your own squad.

BUT as I've said before, besides these things, I'm still loving this game a lot and it's only day 2. I'm a huge BF fan, started with 1942 and have played every iteration since, but this game...this is a whole new experience, and this is exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks for making such a great game guys.

I've had a few full games so far, and I've enjoyed them quite a bit. It's doing Project Reality some justice in how it's shaping up, and it's quite good to just think of how much this game will be once we get more and more of the maps and features that we've had to enjoy in PR.

Personally, the play style is something different than what I'm used to even when coming from PR. I was always fond of being a logistics driver or a squad's breacher so being an automatic rifleman was somewhat of a new experience for me when I took up that role across my time in the closed alpha. I just decided to follow the SL and see how things turn out in the end.

The combat was quite tense, and it felt rewarding when taking down an enemy. It felt even more rewarding when managing to capture and secure a location with the cooperation of teammates.

I know it's being worked on right now, but the lack of an item-select screen when mouse wheeling is one thing that has been getting me for a while. I'm too used to being able to see my kit's full inventory when doing so alongside being able to quickly select items that way. The lack of a bipod was also a little awkward for me when using an LMG.

Overall, it was very fun. I can just see it being much better once I start playing it with familiar people more often. I'm not the best when it comes down to having to work with just random people.

The most memorable part so far was when the squad I was in decided to just flank the enemy by going right through the no-cap.

http://i.imgur.com/efvlr3t.jpg

We ended up taking the US side by complete surprise and capped all of the bases leading to an easy victory.

http://i.imgur.com/oIIb8vI.jpg

Iron, I actually remember seeing you last night in one of the games. Your squad was wrecking the map, it was amazing.

Update day 2:

Speaking of last night, that same game Iron, my squad had pushed way up, passed most of the capture points. (I was following orders). I tried asking many times why we were pushed up so far. Never got an answer from my squad lead on it each time. He kept building this castle. Don't get me wrong, it looked AMAZING, but I feel we were useless to the team. Since then, I've played on 3 different New York servers and Seattle servers to see if this is a common thing, and it seems more people are worried about making a glorified FOB. I understand FOB's are important, but it's not the only thing that's going to win us the game either. Having 10+ people in a FOB while the other team takes all the bases seems to be counter productive.

Please understand, I'm not mad, upset, anything. Just stating what I've seen.

It's because of this when the game is done, you hear "You guys suck, learn to play fa*****. Stop playing Minecraft."  and it goes on from that. I know it's not directed at me (hopefully), but when one person starts doing this, you hear the whole team start yelling at each other and yelling obscenities. It's only the 2nd day closed alpha has been open and people are still adjusting.

The last squad I was in, we had a FOB set up between two points (enemy and friendly). We held the line pretty well to the point the rest of the team was able to flank around, kill the enemies, and take the location. Awesome! But then the SL just wanted to keep building the FOB bigger. We had another squad mate there that has previously played this game and PR, and made a few suggestions. Explaining why staying where we were wasn't helpful for the team. The SL pretty much told him "No. We need to fortify this area before they come back".

So besides some people that are toxic or at least plain rude to others, us newer players need to be open to suggestions and helpful advice. Don't tell the guy that is helping to shut up or start your own squad.

BUT as I've said before, besides these things, I'm still loving this game a lot and it's only day 2. I'm a huge BF fan, started with 1942 and have played every iteration since, but this game...this is a whole new experience, and this is exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks for making such a great game guys.

Thx!  We were on a role that round that's for sure.  Glad your experience here is good so far. 

I've had a few full games so far, and I've enjoyed them quite a bit. It's doing Project Reality some justice in how it's shaping up, and it's quite good to just think of how much this game will be once we get more and more of the maps and features that we've had to enjoy in PR.

Personally, the play style is something different than what I'm used to even when coming from PR. I was always fond of being a logistics driver or a squad's breacher so being an automatic rifleman was somewhat of a new experience for me when I took up that role across my time in the closed alpha. I just decided to follow the SL and see how things turn out in the end.

The combat was quite tense, and it felt rewarding when taking down an enemy. It felt even more rewarding when managing to capture and secure a location with the cooperation of teammates.

I know it's being worked on right now, but the lack of an item-select screen when mouse wheeling is one thing that has been getting me for a while. I'm too used to being able to see my kit's full inventory when doing so alongside being able to quickly select items that way. The lack of a bipod was also a little awkward for me when using an LMG.

Overall, it was very fun. I can just see it being much better once I start playing it with familiar people more often. I'm not the best when it comes down to having to work with just random people.

The most memorable part so far was when the squad I was in decided to just flank the enemy by going right through the no-cap.

http://i.imgur.com/efvlr3t.jpg

We ended up taking the US side by complete surprise and capped all of the bases leading to an easy victory.

http://i.imgur.com/oIIb8vI.jpg

NIce flank.  That's a rough day at the office if you're the Americans.

Had almost an hour of fire fight exchange between two FBO's 

Hahaha .... Same thing just happened tonight.  Was actually pretty damn fun till we realized it wasn't accomplishing anything.  Haha

One thing I have noticed in these 40 and 50 player maps is that there is really no point to make a nice fob. I find the player count is too low so wasting time building it on such huge maps with so little people is impacting your team winning in a major way. When we have 1 squad building and the other 4 securing the objective THEN is the time to build up a good fob that can protect a huge number of people. 

But as of right now, just slap down the radio and ammo crate and that's pretty much it. Building it up is just loosing the game for you.

But that is my opinion..

One thing I have noticed in these 40 and 50 player maps is that there is really no point to make a nice fob. I find the player count is too low so wasting time building it on such huge maps with so little people is impacting your team winning in a major way. When we have 1 squad building and the other 4 securing the objective THEN is the time to build up a good fob that can protect a huge number of people. 

But as of right now, just slap down the radio and ammo crate and that's pretty much it. Building it up is just loosing the game for you.

But that is my opinion..

Yeah, this. I got put into an SL position when I didn't want it earlier tonight and my other SL told me he'd build a FOB and then, like.. just. He didn't do it. He didn't build the FOB he said he would. If his smaller squad wasn't listening, he could've asked for some help.. or something. But he eventually just stopped communicating with me. My team wasn't going to build a FOB, we were busy holding defensible positions at North Town. But we eventually got overran, he kept putting off building a FOB for our team to go and fight the enemy at their FOB. He eventually got it.. but he didn't stick to his word, and my team ended up having to spawn at main and run all the way back. Even after they took over the enemy's FOB, he seemingly refused to move his squad like 3 grids back east to help take back the flag we got overran at. We hit a tide of shit luck, got overran, moved to the rear flag to defend it, set up a FOB there, held it for a long time while the rest of the team kept failing to take the enemy controlled flag back, and when we got overran the same guy talked shit about us.

My squad had a considerably higher squad points, we held the critical flags throughout the entire game compared to the rest of them and yet we got talked shit about. lol. when it comes to some people, sucks to suck, i suppose.