IrOnTaXi

Alpha map - Logar valley - Overview image

All i can say is that if you want to start mapping. Tutorials and patience is the way forward, I taught myself Radiant for Cod4 and mapping in Cryengine. You can start to the basics in a day. My issue is with scripting etc. Im going to aim to learn unreal but all the more complicated things i might have to just give over to someone if my map is decent enough. 

Why is it not currently possible to place water on the map? Is UE4 not capable of water at the moment?

I think you should update the textures for the buildings/compunds to make them look more "beat up" because right now they look brand new. Other than that awesome. 

Why is it not currently possible to place water on the map? Is UE4 not capable of water at the moment?

No currently. and when I say that yes we could simulate a water type system but there is currently no built in water physics or water handler. 

we would have to roll our own system. 

I think you should update the textures for the buildings/compunds to make them look more "beat up" because right now they look brand new. Other than that awesome. 

From humble beginnings do great things come. 

We will be adding an increased diversity of wall types once we get the time and resources to do so. (a lot more broken stuff naturally)

Our objective at this point is to have a functional set of statics not expansive and this is what we have done. 

"Make it your habit not to be critical about small things" ~ Edward Everett Hale

Wise words for this entire forum

I'd be perfectly happy if the stuff we're seeing now was bundled together into a version I could pay for, tomorrow. I don't care about broken walls and stuff like that. The game play, considering both what we have now and what there will be in the future, looks ground-breaking. I just wish I was able to help you guys out in some way or another! :(

Umm, I don't know about the gameplay currently being ground-breaking. It's very rudimentary. Just gotta wait a few months, I'll be here, every step of the way. 

Here is digging into the day/night cycle and realizing our vegitation shaders are going to need some work to make this work...  ;(

edit: and man.. is our fog emissive at night!!!

Posted Image

Damn, do you guys think you're gonna put some options for the video settings, shadows always destroy my fps lol.Also i don't know much about game developing but it's pretty easy to say you guys are working your ass off, keep on rocking guys!

Damn, do you guys think you're gonna put some options for the video settings, shadows always destroy my fps lol.Also i don't know much about game developing but it's pretty easy to say you guys are working your ass off, keep on rocking guys!

yes we will. 

I think you should be surprised how it will run compared to BF2. 

Not going to make any promises until all the effects come in game though.   ;)

When you release the game will mappers be able to use the statics that are in the game already, like with PR:BF2? I bought UE4 but now I noticed it comes with almost no objects in the content browser:(

When you release the game will mappers be able to use the statics that are in the game already, like with PR:BF2? I bought UE4 but now I noticed it comes with almost no objects in the content browser:(

Yeah it comes with nothing really. 

It's a different beast. need to think of UE4 engine as a game from scratch not like we got in bf2. 

We will release a content pack once first batch of statics are past QA. 

Here is digging into the day/night cycle and realizing our vegitation shaders are going to need some work to make this work...  ;(

edit: and man.. is our fog emissive at night!!!

massive picture

The trees should be darker.

Other than that the landscape looks pretty sick !

The trees should be darker.

Other than that the landscape looks pretty sick !

I thought the same. Looks sort of odd.

I thought the same. Looks sort of odd.

That what I was implying by the vegitation shaders needing work. 

they currently don't work well with darkness. 

Should there be a system like 3hour long round will start in early sunrise(6:50), after 50minutes becomes morning (9:00) , after 2 hours becomes midday (12:00) ?

If you're talking about real SRTM DEM data you can just do a google search to find it. I've tried to use it for bf2 mapping but never had much success