IrOnTaXi

Alpha map - Logar valley - Overview image

I have:

Video card: GeForce GTX 660 2GBRAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333 MHzCPU: Intel® Core i5-3570K CPU @ 4x 3.40GHzMonitor size: 1920x1080Windows: 7

and are still able to play one epic settings.

2 slow cores laptop is able to handle it too, so it won't be so bad.

haha cant wait to hide in the poppy fields and get the jump on some one :D

very very doable.  been doing it a bit already.. its great.. pop down when you see someone.. pop up and boom 

Is this map based on an actual location and if so can i ask where.

No it's not.

it more an amalgamation of terrain refs

2 things, I feel the ridges need more pines and could there be terrorist caves in this map?

1. Holding off on unnecessary foliage for the time being. We are working on background implementation of a better foliage system. 

I would of course love to have decorative trees and what not all over the place. 

2. No caves at this point but very very doable in this engine. 

I would of course love to have decorative trees and what not all over the place. 

Yes I miss our forest battles :(

Yes I miss our forest battles :(

And the fact that they're going to look so damn good in UE4 only makes it worse :)

some cool pics of the AO buffer visualizer. 

Just though they looked neat. 

Just doing first tweaks to dynamic AO. different beast but starting to get good results. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Would love to see a before and after shot of the stuff you're doing, looks amazing! 

and here is the before AO shot. im never one to hold out to adoring fans. Always aim to please...   ;)

Posted Image

Two quick screens. 

Map is getting there. Adding some AO and cleaning up collisions. 

adding more trees and bushes to link the various areas

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hey IrOnTaXi I was wondering on a scale of 1/10 or maybe compared to bf2 mapping, how hard is UE4 mapping?

I would say it is no more easy or hard than bf2. 

in a lot of ways easier as there are better tools. 

For the map could you add a more visible player marker. I always got my character mixed with other squad members in PR:BF2.

Each players marker has a little nub on it.   ;)

hows this.

Demographics and Terrain

The Hindu Kush Mountains dominate the terrain of the northern and western parts of the province framing the nearby Safed Koh Mountains that pierce into the Logar valley.

Logar Province is located in eastern Afghanistan. The Spin Ghar range also known as the Safed Koh spans the east and south of the province. Agriculture is the main income for the population in Logar, with irrigated fields, gardens, and cropland,  with the population and agricultural centers clustered in the thin “Green Zone” in the valley floors and the typically barren rocky, rugged terrain of the surrounding dasht. The Logar river eventually flows into the Kabul river valley. The Kabul river valley, its center at Jalalabad, and the Khyber Pass form a crucial strategic and economic corridor connecting Kabul with Peshawar and then Pakistan.

So incredibly cool guys, can't wait! Looks like there's going to be plenty of places to hide! That is until the tanks roll in!

Speaking of which - any plans for destructible environments?

Can I humblr suggest some irrigation canals? A must for any afghan landscape.

I wish.. no water at the moment and I did think of doing a large amount of dried canals but I think we will need to really think through how to do them well. 

Wishes for another map for sure!  I have spent alot of time making the terrain nice and varied to compensate and ensure there are plenty of places to hide.