Gurman

Clan tags

Col. Ghost Here. I know I am a bit late to this but I can see a minor problem with bringing in steam group Tags. So I run two steam groups for both branches of Spectre Forces, and I do have one as my main. But the problem I might be able to see is other Steam groups can already have the tag that someone wants to use for Squad. Thus it would change the tage wanted by whoever is trying to run the clan. This posed a problem for myself and a few other clans that i work with.

Honestly I dont see a problem if they could just integrate a clan system in-game. It wouldnt need to be a complex one. But hey. If they want to go far with an in-game clan system....maybe they could make it so we could have a clan patch on the arm of your own player in-game distinguishing the clan. Nothing special other then a simple patch that the clan leader could put up for that. Honestly that would kinda be cool. Lol.

-Col. Ghost Out

I agree with you, but If they're going to implement a steam-group based clan-system, then they should let people decide which group's tag shall be selected, not just simply auto-select the primary group! :P

I agree with you, but If they're going to implement a steam-group based clan-system, then they should let people decide which group's tag shall be selected, not just simply auto-select the primary group! :P

Within steam group, what I mean is Steam may already have a tag that someone wants to use. I have two tags for both of my branches. [spec] and [sPEC]. Steam doesnt allow me to set these tags because both of them are already used by other groups which have not been active since 2012. Steam cant do anything about that so if the game uses the tags from the steam group, then whats the point if I cant use the tags that I already use. 

Since they're already running steam names there shouldn't be an issue getting steam groups as well, right?

Counterstrike GO has this system where you select a steam group from your options that you're a part of and it displays the group as your prefix while playing.

This please this.

This please this.

As I stated, Steam group integration uses the tag that you set for the steam group. Some groups cant use the tag they want because other groups already use that. Thats my point.

You have a valid point. Just to clarify, are you saying that it is impossible for two groups to have the same clan tag? So since these outdated groups are using Spec, any new group you run cannot?

You have a valid point. Just to clarify, are you saying that it is impossible for two groups to have the same clan tag? So since these outdated groups are using Spec, any new group you run cannot?

Yes. It gives me the error that another group already contains the tag. So I am unable to use [spec] or [sPEC]. Which is why I hope they come up with something within the game itself instead of off of steam. Otherwise I will need to spend time getting a new tag set up.....then I would also need to change alot of stuff that already has that as well. Lol.

That's surprising that this exists, with the quantity of groups and players out there. For example, the clan tag SF (for special forces, more than likely) is one that likely has a lot of groups wishing they could use it. If it is true that no two groups can have the same tag, this could definitely be an issue in the long run.

That's surprising that this exists, with the quantity of groups and players out there. For example, the clan tag SF (for special forces, more than likely) is one that likely has a lot of groups wishing they could use it. If it is true that no two groups can have the same tag, this could definitely be an issue in the long run.

Yep. It doesnt allow me to use same tags. So I had to make my tags [specForces] and [specReserves] for both of my branches instead of [spec] and [sPEC]. It will kinda piss me off if the devs use the steam groups.

Squad simply needs to introduce a system like PR whereby a 6-or-so character, user chosen pre-fix is applied to the front of the player's in-game Steam name.

Asking people to apply the prefix directly onto their steam name presents problems as players may be members of other clans in other games.

Asking people to choose a Steam group's prefix also presents problems as

1.) The prefix may be a placeholder as they are unique around the world and so a desired prefix may be taken by a group that doesn't even play Squad.

2.) Some clans don't use the same prefix for everyone, so a one-size-fits-all approach wouldn't fit all.

Clan tags have been extremely helpful in the past in organizing a clan. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 allowed for eight characters, which was perfect (and I'd even recommend ten characters).

AC-IN-E2

AC = Aries Clan

IN = Infantry

E5 = Clan Rank

This system allowed us to quickly get players into their appropriate squads and immediately know who is in command of that squad. Battlefield 3 only allowed for a few characters, which made it much more difficult to know which squad you should be in. If you like running armor, you have to figure out who else is a tanker and then get everyone together into one squad. Comparatively it was a pain in the butt when the solution was simply to allow for more characters. DICE is is notorious for making giant leaps backward and completely ignoring their gaming community, so a reduction in clan tag letter spaces came as no surprise.

More characters also allows clans with the same abbreviations to distinguish themselves. Perhaps Awesome Clan doesn't want to use a system like Aries Clan, but they also want to distinguish themselves from Aardvark Commandos and American Champions. Ten character spaces will make everybody happy. Perhaps the guys in Aardvark want to use a rank abbreviation.

=ARD-PRV=

=ARD-SGT=

=ARD-CPT=

Maybe American Champions wants to intimidate everybody with their clan battle wins and loses right in their clan tag.

AC*W29/L04

Customization, modding and sandbox are all words that are associated with today's gaming and the allotted number of characters for clan tags should reflect that.