263 posts in this topic

need to post it on the first page and discuss there only the real interesting features that are not written in the guide)

Can you explain what you mean? I don't understand.

Can you explain what you mean? I don't understand.

He's talking about the colored words on Page 7 (not 6), their meaning is connected by simply using the same colors.

He's talking about the colored words on Page 7 (not 6), their meaning is connected by simply using the same colors.

Cheers, SINE. My question was directed to bayerna post, not firewall's. He is on to something else.

He said "So much time playing the SQUAD and never saw the guide before" => I think the meaning of the post is "pin the user's manual to Squad's first page so everyone can see it easily, and let discuss about the content of the user's manual in the current topic."

He said "So much time playing the SQUAD and never saw the guide before" => I think the meaning of the post is "pin the user's manual to Squad's first page so everyone can see it easily, and let discuss about the content of the user's manual in the current topic."

That's what I would think, too :D

Great work! Looks very professional.

Could you be bothered to incorporate a section explaining graphic settings? What does what and what it affects.

I could use a graphic for dummies :) Alot of info on the forums but it's very scattered. Be great for those just booting up.

That's what I would think, too :D

:) Cheers, guy. Lets see if he tells us what he really meant. The key point is what he means by "first page". Homepage? OP? But no point in guess. Lets wait and see.

Great work! Looks very professional.

Could you be bothered to incorporate a section explaining graphic settings? What does what and what it affects.

I could use a graphic for dummies :) Alot of info on the forums but it's very scattered. Be great for those just booting up.

Cheers, really good suggestion. Graphic settings are particulary important while Squad is not optimised and people are having performance issues. Knowing exactly what the settings do, helps get the best (high FPS with best possible graphics) out of Squad on your machine.

I will consider whether I add it or not, and when. It's mostly a question of effort and available time on my part. But if someone from the community volunteers to compile all the facts and information and helps me getting it into shape, I will definitely put it in.

Alternative: Someone creates a thread on the forum and address the issue/topic there and I only link to it from the manual. The forum probably is the better place for this kind of thing anyways, as there will be lots of questions that need answering and discussions about optimal settings for lower spec PCs etc.

Volunteers?

Also, maybe that thread already exists. Anyone knows?

I've read the manual and think it is excellent, but I do have one complaint: acronym abuse.  The flow of reading repeatedly came to a full stop when I hit acronyms like SP, RP, FOB, etc.  Why not just spell the words out to make things instantly crystal clear?  I had never played Squad or Project Reality before reading the manual.

But again, fine job... the point above was the only hiccup I experienced.

Thanks for your comment, goertzenator. I totally get your point.

Still, terms such as SL, RP and FOB you will encounter everywhere in the forums and ingame text chat, hence there is no way around them, you'll have to learn them. And what better place to do so than in the manual?

SP, CP and BCP you probably encounter only in the manual. I am torn whether reading them fully every time really increases readabily. Personally, I like acyronyms and they make a term easier to recognise at first sight, for me, and for those who know them. Furthermore, fully spelt out some sound terrible and ingame we use different terms for them (e.g. CP is called "flag" or "cap", BCP = base), but using these "slang" terms in the manual feels incorrect/inaccurate. Also, it would be inconsistent to use half acroyms and half spell the terms out. But if more people prefer it that way, I am happy to fully spell out lesser used acronyms. Give goertzenator's post a like - if we reach or exceed 10 likes, I do it.

I've read the manual and think it is excellent, but I do have one complaint: acronym abuse.  The flow of reading repeatedly came to a full stop when I hit acronyms like SP, RP, FOB, etc.  Why not just spell the words out to make things instantly crystal clear?  I had never played Squad or Project Reality before reading the manual.

But again, fine job... the point above was the only hiccup I experienced.

Any user's manual is filled with acronyms ; they're all explained the first time they're used, and then acronyms replace. If you read the full document you'll find all of them explained once.

USGU said :

Still, terms such as SL, RP and FOB you will encounter everywhere in the forums and ingame text chat, hence there is no way around them, you'll have to learn them. And what better place to do so than in the manual?

+1

Any user's manual is filled of acronyms ; they're all explained the first time they're used, and then acronyms replace. If you read the full document you'll find all of them explained once.

+1

This ^ You spell it out the first time.

Sorry couldnt understand the full meaning of your sentence. Its a shortest way to explain what I said above ? ^^

Haha yes. I'm like Hemingway that way, always short and concise.

You spell out the words the first time, then you use acronyms.

SP, CP and BCP you probably encounter only in the manual. I am torn whether reading them fully every time really increases readabily. Personally, I like acyronyms and they make a term easier to recognise at first sight, for me, and for those who know them. Furthermore, fully spelt out some sound terrible and ingame we use different terms for them (e.g. CP is called "flag" or "cap", BCP = base), but using these "slang" terms in the manual feels incorrect/inaccurate. Also, it would be inconsistent to use half acroyms and half spell the terms out. But if more people prefer it that way, I am happy to fully spell out lesser used acronyms. Give goertzenator's post a like - if we reach or exceed 10 likes, I do it.

I didn't think about in-game chat, good point.  You've given me cause to think a little more precisely about what tripped me up and offer some more surgical suggestions:

1. RP/PR confusion.  I had to stop reading and untangle this is my head each time because the acronyms are so similar.  Since Project Reality is only talked about in one paragraph, I think usage of "PR" could easily be removed.  By all means mention that the acronym exists, but you don't have to use it yourself.   Furthermore, many acronym usages in this manual could be replaced with pronouns (for example "Development of PR started in 2004 and PR has been very popular ever since." ... becomes ... "Development of Project Reality started in 2004 and it has been very popular ever since." ... or maybe even just ...  "Development started in 2004 and it has been very popular ever since.")

2. SP.  I had to stop each time to think about this one.  The very similar SL might have helped sow confusion.  I see that SP is only used about a dozen times and you say yourself it is not really used outside the manual.  Its expansion is pretty short ("spawn point"), and again with the pronouns.  I think cleaning that one out would be easy and make things simpler.

3. FOB.  I retract my request to expand this one.  This is the poster boy of a good acronym.  It turns 7 spoken syllables into 1, and is itself a word (like NASA and AWACS).

I hope these noob perspectives are useful.  I've since purchased Squad and am having a great time!  The acronyms are no longer a problem and my noob-ness is rapidly fading.

It might be wise to do a quick manual based on the current manual.
I do not think every player will read the entire manual. :lol:

There are still enough reasons to look into it if you don't know something.
For "quick guidance" there are still people ingame that you can ask or enough people who make how-to videos.