263 posts in this topic

Your contributions

Help from the community for this manual is more than welcome. Post your suggestions for the manual in this thread or send me a PM. I am sure you will find missing or incorrect information and many spelling mistakes. Occassionally I even added the keywords "contribution" or "suggestion" in the manual to highlight sections that need your help - just search the manual for these keywords. If you feel like it, you can even write new sections of new game features and I will add them to the manual. Or just provide suitable screenshots. If you want to work really closely on the manual and become a co-author, send me a PM and we'll work out a work-share.

2 style-recommendations I worked on regarding the manual, it would be great to get one of them realized.

Style 1 (more realistic/military like):

U7jbIXz.jpg

Style 2 (modern, in the SQUAD corporate design):

eZsWm8u.jpg

Ok guys Spanish translation should be up soon (Note that is the version 1.0.0). It took me a couple of days more than I expected.

If you speak spanish please give it a look and point out any translation mistakes. Bear in mind English is not my main language and I'm NOT a professional translator.

I'll upload the translation for the 1.1.0 version ASAP.

Have a nice week.

Big thank you for you, Gal4ct1c. I put the PDF download live just now.

2 style-recommendations I worked on regarding the manual, it would be great to get one of them realized.

Style 1 (more realistic/military like):

Style 2 (modern, in the SQUAD corporate design):

Nice! Lets discuss this offline.

Ok guys Spanish translation should be up soon (Note that is the version 1.0.0). It took me a couple of days more than I expected.

If you speak spanish please give it a look and point out any translation mistakes. Bear in mind English is not my main language and I'm NOT a professional translator.

I'll upload the translation for the 1.1.0 version ASAP.

Have a nice week.

Hi Usgu,

Like Galactic, I'm not a professional translator but I could help translating the game manual to french, do you have still members/translators doing the job ? If no (and depending on the time my jobs let me to do it) I apply to be the first and begin ASAP, if yes please tell me who so I can contact them !

TY !

Hi Usgu,

Like Galactic, I'm not a professional translator but I could help translating the game manual to french, do you have still members/translators doing the job ? If no (and depending on the time my jobs let me to do it) I apply to be the first and begin ASAP, if yes please tell me who so I can contact them !

TY !

I'm pretty sure no one is doing a french translation atm, we should probably do a work-list on the first post so everyone can see who is working on what currently.

But you should consider that after the next update (which will be out within the next 2 weeks) a lot of changes have to be made!

Hi Usgu,

TY !

I'm pretty sure no one is doing a french translation atm, we should probably do a work-list on the first post so everyone can see who is working on what currently.

But you should consider that after the next update (which will be out within the next 2 weeks) a lot of changes have to be made!

Nobody is working on a French version yet. If you are up for the challenge, you can take on this task - send me a PM and I give you the OpenOffice master document.

Portuguese is in work at the moment. No other translations.

I am torn on whether I would like to post "translation Y in progress by person X" in the OP. One the bad side, this puts a lot of pressure on that person. I would not be surprised if some eager fellow realized after he got started how much effort it really is and then loses interest and does not see it through. I would not like to "announce an upcoming translation" that are not actually coming through at all. After the first translation was completed, it will be announced. Whether the translater can keep up with future versions, is a different question.

Besides, as all translators go through me, I will coordinate their efforts if necessary, so mentioning the upcoming translations in the OP is not really needed for that purpose.

On the other hand it could help get like-minded and like-countrymen come together and work on a translation as a team. In this case it would be good to announce it.

Either way, I am torn. For the time being, I will not put it onto the OP but I am open for disussion.

Also, consider this. Instead of generating dozens of translations I would rather like to see people help me with the English version or create other important documents like a "Quick Start Guide" or a nice "Keyboard 'Reference Sheet" for Squad. I think this would help the community (particularly newcomers) more than additional translations.

And, guys, don't underestimate the effort it takes to create a full translation. Probably, even before you have finished it, a new version of the manual is out. And that happens every month after month, again and again. Also, the process of updating the translation to a new version is a very very tedious task, believe me. First you have to find all the differences between the new and the old version, then you have to translate them, and then you have to put them into (or replace them) in your translated document. One by one.

On the other hand it could help get like-minded and like-countrymen come together and work on a translation as a team. In this case it would be good to announce it.

That's what I was thinking about, yeah...

And, guys, don't underestimate the effort it takes to create a full translation. Probably, even before you have finished it, a new version of the manual is out. And that happens every month after month, again and again. Also, the process of updating the translation to a new version is a very very tedious task, believe me.

True haha biggrin.png

First you have to find all the differences between the new and the old version, then you have to translate them, and then you have to put them into (or replace them) in your translated document. One by one.

But if anyone decides to do it anyways, I can recommend a program: WinMerge, it can compare 2 text documents and will show the difference.

As I said I'm not a pro fr-eng translator but my point of view is :

1/ there msut be guys that decide to do it, what I am ; I've lot of work to do but I love working on english too and as an advantage it will train me, while helping the community

2/ of course I hope I wont be alone, but if we can sync our efforts we can handle it ; I will begin as much as I can, and when other translators come to help I'll keep in touch (in my mother language will be easier) with them and we share our improvements in the translation to be more efficient and faster.

2/ of course I hope I wont be alone, but if we can sync our efforts we can handle it ; I will begin as much as I can, and when other translators come to help I'll keep in touch (in my mother language will be easier) with them and we share our improvements in the translation to be more efficient and faster.

Then good luck to you, I hope you find some good people who want to work with you laugh.png

​You could try hitting up the French introduction thread in this forum to ask for help (not sure if there is one, but there certainly is a German thread)

Hey guys, first a little feedback:

Page 24: Note that pings are inaccurate, and that gameplay is fluid (at least for me) no matter where the server is located.

To have (apparently) accurate ping values and fps rate, use the "stat fps" command in console.

Page 28: I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can build a FOB anywhere near an enemy FOB atm, be it 400 meters away or less...

Page 31: First, I think it's important to disginguish walking/running/sprinting.
               Second, in my experience, you very slowly regain stamina while running (standing up and crouched).

Third, if you crawl, stamina will not be regained. In fact it might even use stamina, but that needs confirmation. I discovered this today.

Page 45 (1): I would consider adding that after the medic has revived someone once, this same person will most likely die bypassing the incapacitated state.
For example: If I revive someone, and he takes damage that would normally put him in an incapacitated state, he will just die instead. Basically, you can only be revived once per respawn in my experience.

Page 45 (2): I feel it's important to note that sometimes, even though the animation of the bandaging goes on, if there is no sound, it isn't working. You would have to stop and restart until you can hear the sound... Basically, don't pay attention to the animation, but rather the sound effects of the bandaging to make sure you are actually doing anything!

Page 46: the local chat is extremely helpful to help a medic locate you!

Page 48: supplies already start accumulating once the fob is up. No need to wait for the bar to fill.

Page 52: killing an enemy = +1 point

Dying (no matter the cause I believe) = -1 point

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's for the feedback. As far as translation is concerned, I can help with the French version of the manual being bilingual myself (American-French binational here!! ^_^ )

Please let me know how I can help!!

Thank you guy and more thank you to the brother from Argentina who translate it to Spanish.

Hey guys, first a little feedback:

Page ..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's for the feedback. As far as translation is concerned, I can help with the French version of the manual being bilingual myself (American-French binational here!! ^_^ )

Please let me know how I can help!!

Cheers for the detailed feedback, I'll go through it when I compile the next version of the manual

Regarding your support on the French translation, we'll continue our conversation offline.

As noted by user @Nate

SL needs +2 SQUADmembers near him to place the RP. He needs 2 TEAMmembers to deploy a FOB

The current version says:

to place the RP one additional squad member is needed within 5-10m to the SL

Can anyone confirm which one is correct?

Also @Nate can we have confirmation on how Scores and ticket count works?

Thank you!.

To set a RP there needs to be the SL and one other squad member.  To set a FOB Im pretty sure there needs to be the SL and 2 other squad members.  Both situations require those involved to be quite close together.

WOW... just... ...wow...manual is epic...i guess you put some serious amount of work into it... congratz on that! Well done!

Update: The new Squad manual 1.2.0 has arrived, check it out in the OP. Feedback is welcome as always. Enjoy the read. Spread the word.

LxXfTS2.jpg

This manual is awesome as I had a lot of questions about how to do certain things in-game. Thanks for your effort! I would like to recommend that we get the manual made into a wiki page. I think it would allow for easier modifications as changes happen.

hey usgu! i have the day off and im working in photoshop all day; I threw this together for you, feel free to use it if you'd like.

cyrfYz1.png

inspiration:

146601_ts.jpg