263 posts in this topic

The official Squad wiki has arrived - hooray! Read the announcement here. The user manual will now retire and its content transfer to the wiki. Read more about the transfer process here. There will be no more updates coming out for the user manual and version 1.1 will remain the last and final version of the user manual. The porting process will taking time, meanwhile please keep reading the user manual here. But bear in mind the manual is outdated and does not represent the current state of the game.

The Official Squad User Manual

qYFX2VJ.jpg

Download
Download version 1.1 of the Squad User Manual (English)

Download version 1.1 of the Squad User Manual (French/Français) - translated by Nightstalker21, ayente and molomo58

Download version 1.1 of the Squad User Manual (Turkish/Türkçe) - translated by Aragorn, Shark, Jedarus, Officer, Synche and Woape

Download version 1.1 of the Squad User Manual (Spanish/Español) - translated by Gal4ct1c

Download version 1.1 of the Squad User Manual (Polish/Polski) - translated by LoneRanger, Fresz, Maniek, Popo and mastah4 NEW!

Download version 1.0 of the Squad User Manual (German/Deutsch) - translated by r0tzbua

Download version 1.0 of the Squad User Manual (Italian/Italiano) - translated by Ganzino

Download version 1.0 of the Squad User Manual (Hebrew) - translated by WarFox89

Preface
The manual has come a long way. Usgu's "Unoffical Squad Alpha Manual" has grown into the "Official Squad User Manual", just in time to introduce our game to the new Riflemen and Early Access players. This is for you, guys.

Using the manual
Obviously, read it, particularly if you are new to Squad. I also think that even Squad veterans can learn one or two things from the manual, too - so at least have a look through. You will see some background information at the start of the manual and troubleshooting and additional information at the end of the manual. Hopefully, all useful stuff for you guys.

I would also like to see that, where appropriate, questions on the forums are answered by referring to the manual, ideally with specific page reference. If that answer is in the manual, why would you want to write up that information again and again if all you have to do is refer to a page? Additional side effect is that people are being made aware of the manual and will be using it themselves to look for answers in the future. Basically, you have taught them to help themselves. That is always a good thing.

A useful tip: When you are using Adobe Acrobat Reader for viewing the manual, open up the booksmarks. All chapters are listed there and this makes navigating the manual a dream.

RAjXcwG.jpg

Contributions
Help from the community for this manual is more than welcome and needed. Post your suggestions for the manual in this thread or send me a PM. I am sure you will find missing or incorrect information and many spelling mistakes. There is is always room to make things better.

If something is not in the manual but you think it should be, let me know. The manual will not answer all questions, but it should answer all game-related questions pretty competently. So if you see some questions reoccurring again and again on the forums and they are within the scope of the manual, put a link to such discussion in this thread and I will consider adding this kind of information to the manual. As I do not have the time to follow all discussions on the forums anymore, it would be very useful if you point out such discussions to me.

If you have free time at hand and really want to contribute to the manual, become a co-author or assistant. There is always something to do on the manual, particularly after a new update has come out. Write new text, update text, improve text, take new screenshots, proofread, apply visual improvements to the manual. The list is endless. Any task you help out with makes a contribution. If you want to become part of the manual team, send me a PM.

Translations

Existing translations are listed under the section "Download" above. If you are contemplating to write a new translation of the manual or you are already part of the translation team and looking for more information, head over to following post for more information.

Linking to the manual
If you want to link to the manual, please use the forum post: http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/4766-the-squad-user-manual/

If you want to directly link to a PDF, use the following link - it will always contain the latest English manual: http://downloads.joinsquad.com/Manual/Squad_Manual_Latest.pdf

Do not link directly to the PDF of a particular manual version. Very soon that link will be out-of-date when a new manual revision has been released.

If you are in-game and you want to tell others of the manual, you type into text chat the following short URL (kindly provided by invisible.nin/SINE): http://tinyurl.com/squadmanual

Alternatively, you can refer them to the "Questions" subforum - this thread is pinned there and easy to find.

The manual even has its own subforum section in the main forum overview - you can't miss it.

Other Squad documents

cannot download

Man, you were quick. I posted the thread first, then uploaded the document and added the link to it. Try again, now the link is available.

Lotta words and pictures in that thing. Even some charts. Looks legit ;)

Man, you were quick. I posted the thread first, then uploaded the document and added the link to it. Try again, now the link is available.

Lol 500 mb/s Down speed will do that :P

Nice work dude. Manual keybinding information is wrong i'm afraid (the ini-files) unless the information is based to the next build?

Edited by WARti0k0ne -BG-

Looks fine to me from the POV of someone who hasn't been in-game yet.  Keep up the good work :)

References to "Pre-Alpha" (including Portal URL's) should probably read "Alpha"

It should also be noted somewhere that "lean" (default 'Q' and 'E') do not work while Prone

Page 9: "Make sure you don't unpack a new build over an old build - this will not work"

I think you mean that the other way around: "Make sure you don't unpack an old build over a new build - this will not work" since the update process would require unpacking newer over an older.

Starting on Page 24, Role/Key Assignments have recently been changed (and will likely have at least 1 more change, if not more so that Shovels are all in the same slot as bandages are)

3.3.4 Resupply: ammo grates should be ammo crates (and again in 3.6.3 Destroying deployables and at the end of page 33)

3.10 Console Commands: GiveUp is available if you're Incapacitated and no longer wish to wait for a Medic to revive you (acts like Suicide)

There may be more later when I give it another read through.

Excellent work Usgu!

I skimmed through the gameplay part, here are some updates:

Page 14:

- At least 2 players need to be within the capping radius of a CP to capture it.

Correction: 3 players are needed. To cap a neutral flag on round start, 1 player is needed.

Page 15

- SL cannot construct a RP alone - to place the RP one additional team member needs within 5-10m to the SL

Correction: SL needs +2 SQUADmembers near him to place the RP. He needs 2 TEAMmembers to deploy a FOB

Page 16

- PA change: Each rally point is limited to 9 spawns and has a 2-minute reload timer after it was removed

Page 16

- While the FOB is being capped by the opposite team and the progress bar goes below 75%, the FOB turns

red on the spawn screen and you can no longer spawn on it.

Correction: When two enemies enter FOB cap radius, the FOB will turn red and will no longer be spawnable. When the enemies leave the capzone of the FOB, the FOB will be spawnable again. FOB will dissapear when it is capped completely

Page 19

- Hold Left-Shift for running. When running you will use up your stamina (bottom right-hand corner of the screen). You can no longer run when your stamina is completely exhausted. You cannot start running while your stamina is red. You can regain stamina faster when you crouch or go prone instead of standing

Addition: You will also regain stamina when just walking normally, however it goes faster when standing, crouching or proning.

Page 24 / 26

Correction: Officer has two bandages

Page 29

Correction: Small typo "your vision", not "you vision" gets blurry.

Page 29

Addition You start bleeding at 75% health

Page 38

Addition Help, my controls stopped working! -> Press Alt or ESC, this happens after alt-tabbing.

Obviously things are changing constanly, even in QA we are never quite sure what the current values are because everything is being tried out :D

Keep up the good work.

Nate

Great work Usgu! I almost feel bad for making changes to the game ;P

Also do you want me to edit your post so that the image is clickable as a download link?

An addendum to the Q/A: "I stopped being able to run after I alt+tabbed!"

Toggle the ALT key again (default bind is "Walk" for Alt), when loosing focus UE4 retains ALT pressed for some reason.

Great work Usgu! I almost feel bad for making changes to the game ;P

Also do you want me to edit your post so that the image is clickable as a download link?

Is there btw any visual hint that you are crouching, I have old habit to go automaticly crouched always when I stop and this will lead me always running out of stamina just middle of the open area while I forget to stand up (or more like I didn't notice I did go crouched like I said it is on my backbone) as the sprinting works also with crouch, but drains more stamina and the high difference is such a minor that you don't notice it if there is no friendly soldier arm lenghts of you to compare. Mucho annoying.

Is there btw any visual hint that you are crouching, I have old habit to go automaticly crouched always when I stop and this will lead me always running out of stamina just middle of the open area while I forget to stand up (or more like I didn't notice I did go crouched like I said it is on my backbone) as the sprinting works also with crouch, but drains more stamina and the high difference is such a minor that you don't notice it if there is no friendly soldier arm lenghts of you to compare. Mucho annoying.

You got it backwards. You regenerate stamina quicker if you are in crouch, so if you are stuck in crouch without knowing it, it is actually a good thing.

There is only one visual indicator that you are in crouch - and that is to look down your body and see that you are crouched if you don't remember it.

If you are in crouch and you sprint it will happen like this:

Crouch (press sprint) - soldier stands up and sprints (unpress sprint) - soldier crouches again. At which point you would regen stamina at the faster crouch rate than the standing rate.

Prone is the fastest way to get stamina back btw.

You got it backwards. You regenerate stamina quicker if you are in crouch, so if you are stuck in crouch without knowing it, it is actually a good thing.

There is only one visual indicator that you are in crouch - and that is to look down your body and see that you are crouched if you don't remember it.

Crouch (press sprint) - soldier stands up and sprints (unpress sprint) - soldier crouches again. At which point you would regen stamina at the faster crouch rate than the standing rate.

I like that you go back to crouch after the sprint, until we get crouch sprinting this really is a nice feature!

EDT: Maybe do the same with prone?! In RO 2 it works like this, if you are prone and do a sprint without presing the stand up button you will instantly jump on the ground after releasing the sprint button, that feature is awesome for avoiding incomming nades!

Now when you pointed this out... It really do work as you described I even needed to go to test it. The "run out of stamina" at my part must happen while rest of the crew keeps running forward in every place and I'm moving crouched at same time. While you move crouched your stamina do not replenish.. Enough short repeats and your done, oh well I could have swear it do use more stamina to sprint crouched than standing up. :(

When you move, regardless of stance, your stamina doesn't regenerate.