As long as things are client side there's not much (anything) you can do. Best anti cheat is very evasive, scans everything in your PC all the time, takes a long time to implement and a lot of effort to keep up - not realistic for Squad. Squad could prevent rage hacking by having client side and server side spread separated and made random (something CS:GO did a while ago), but I don't think that's gonna fit Squad's game design. Even if that does happen there's nothing to prevent wall hacking, triggerbot etc.. In the end, the best anti cheat for Squad is its small community. People will still hack and as long as they're not super obvious nobody will really notice. That's the sad reality of today's FPS games.

Who would want to cheat in a "milsim" game...

Squad isn't gonna be a milsim game and lots of people cheat in ArmA.

I think any anti cheat is better than no anti cheat at all.

IMHO :)

Any non evasive anti-cheat takes the cheat maker about an hour to figure out so it's largely not worth the effort. Best you can hope for is to scare people with it.

I'm not pretending to know a lot about this stuff. Maybe nobody will put the effort in to develop anything for UE4 (if that's how it works). I'm just talking from experience. Elsewhere, as long as it's client side you can cheat.

Punkbuster is shit. Something like 'Battlerecorder' with added functionality could do a better job than PB, but that probably won't be possible to have for Squad. 

Personally, I wouldn't mind intrusive anti-hacking methods nor hardware bans. Then again, everything can be circumvented - there always will be cheaters. 

Punkbuster is shit. Something like 'Battlerecorder' with added functionality could do a better job than PB, but that probably won't be possible to have for Squad. 

Personally, I wouldn't mind intrusive anti-hacking methods nor hardware bans. Then again, everything can be circumvented - there always will be cheaters. 

UE4 already has built-in demo recording.

Apparently Punkbuster does not support native 64 bit games, only 64 bit server side,  not client side.

VAC on the other hand does natively support 64bit client and server side.

So says Wikipedia... :P

Back in final BF2 days, BattleRecorder became a new weapon against Cheats because the people over at GGC-Streams made a program that analysed the BattleRecorder file and calculated if you were Tracking people through walls, See further than ingame Fog could allow, How accurate your shots where ect.

Somthing like that would work fairly well.

I Think what people need to understand, weather its a fast paced CoD style FPS or a Military Simulator there is always Cheaters, from Counter Strike to ArmA there is cheaters. To simply palm off the likelihood of cheaters being present in Squad is commercial suicide, yes commercial suicide since you are asking people to pay $$$ for this game. Reputation means everything in the gaming industry, and once everyone spreads around your game is full of hackers your player base dries up, your potential player base finds other games and ultimately your revenue stream is gone.

:)

I Think what people need to understand, weather its a fast paced CoD style FPS or a Military Simulator there is always Cheaters, from Counter Strike to ArmA there is cheaters. To simply palm off the likelihood of cheaters being present in Squad is commercial suicide, yes commercial suicide since you are asking people to pay $$$ for this game. Reputation means everything in the gaming industry, and once everyone spreads around your game is full of hackers your player base dries up, your potential player base finds other games and ultimately your revenue stream is gone.

:)

Not sure if this was somewhat directed at my "who would want to cheat in a "milsim" comment. I do of course know that people always cheat in online game, my question was more of a philosophical nature. What do you really gain from cheating in a non-competitive environment etc. People who cheat in simulators really must have something wrong with them as it certainly defeats ALL purposes of a simulator. I have no problem understanding why people will cheat in competitive games where money, rankings etc is on the line - that's just common greed.

^ +1

what do you guys think about insurgency's votekicking system?

also, some hacks alter the onscreen display, puttng icons on enemy player locations... If UE4 has built in demo recording, could we enable commanders/c.o.s to pull a screenshot or 2second dem at random? this is admittedly a horrible idea, but just tossing it out there.

No votekick system, no... The main thing should be to keep servers administered at all times, which we currently have on PR (The good servers)

You guys are extremely naive about this... Good server admins, reporting and taking screenshots are all useless against cheating. If somebody wants to cheat they will. Again, the best Squad can do is prevent rage hacking, which should be doable. I'd like to hear somebody's opinion who knows more about this stuff.

Anything new on that? Any plans how a cheat protection can work or wich Squad can use? People asking on Steam too....

Do SQUAD developers get access to Valve VAC Anti Cheat once SQUAD passes the Greenlight approval phase? Or do the SQUAD devs just get access to the Steam Developer Integration Kits/API's?

Punkbuster and VAC are both horrible. Heck VAC bans more people who havn't done anything than people who actually hack. Okay not really but sometimes you really wonder...
What one of the current anti-cheats that are normally used that is the best, i have no idea. What I do know is that some games are harder than others.
The more server-side you keep things, the harder it gets. An example is World of Tanks. WHich has a very low amount of hackers, and the ones who do hack gets banned very fast. 

If anyone want more information about how good or bad the systems are, i suggest you google on --- removed due to security concerns --- and read around. Soon you will find out that there arnt much you can do about it. Other than having activ mods/admins.

Heck VAC bans more people who havn't done anything than people who actually hack. Okay not really but sometimes you really wonder...

Only about 0.01% VAC bans have been false positive.