Spush

Weapons & Items Preview (Image Very Heavy)

Over the last few months Motherdear, Tim, and I have been working hard in getting items, and weapons ready for animation. This meant modeling completely new assets like the M67 Frag, Entrenching Tool, M18 Smoke, and the Field Dressing. There were also models generously given to use for use by Sasha and Katarn, some of which were updated for "Next Generation Standards".When the 3D art team finishes an asset, they hand it over to me for which I texture them using PBR (Physically Based Rendering) techniques. Note the texture flats, the style differs from the traditional texture setups that PR:BF2 is used to. Anyways, here's some of the renders of the ingame models in Marmoset Toolbag 2.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Figured, I would make a chart for how you on how to measure the levels for Roughness and Metallic. These values are used when trying to define the materials for the object Although metallic shows values in between, in UE4 I believe you use either 0 or 1 when defining what is metal. Note painted metal is not metal :P, that one took me a while to figure out.Albedo is the color map very much like the old Diffuse map, however with the new lighting engine, albedo doesn't require any form of lighting information baked into the texture map. Also, Albedo requires a base color without any form of lighting information meaning no light specularity.Microsurface (Roughness/Gloss) is the measure of how rough a material is. Smoother object reflect light more in different directions, while rougher objects deflect light in different directions which gives off the "matte" look.Metallic defines whether or not the object is metal or not, pretty simple when you didn't know painted metal isn't metal :D.Normals are the same old, nothing has changed.

Posted ImagePosted Image

UE4's material system seem to be quite handy for making realistic textures. According to the tutorials, metallic levels between 0 and 1 are for sci-fi-ish surfaces, but I guess you could also use it to simulate some real materials...

UE4's material system seem to be quite handy for making realistic textures. According to the tutorials' date=' metallic levels between 0 and 1 are for sci-fi-ish surfaces, but I guess you could also use it to simulate some real materials...[/quote']Yeah totally. think about some mettalic like nano coating on some futuristic spaceships... values inbetween.

By the way, if you're aiming for realism, the israeli dressing is the standard issue dressing for the US Army deploying to Afghanistan.A simple retexture somewhere along the lines of thisPosted Image

That is good, any other higher res images? I just based this off of US GI First Aid Field Dressing.

Do you know what it looks like on the inside though?

Might as well show y'all our ammo and medical bag. Might do generic colors like OD Green or Coyote tan or something. Or maybe even faction specific camouflage or colors even if it's a molle bag.

Posted ImagePosted Image

I like the textures! I have no knowledge on the subject but are common ammo and medic bags that square in shape? They just seem a little plain. Maybe they are in real life.

It's essentially the same model, besides the medical patch, and ammunition. Personally I wouldn't really bother too much on making a separate model yet at least since the game is still in pre alpha.

I like the textures! I have no knowledge on the subject but are common ammo and medic bags that square in shape? They just seems a little plain. Maybe they are in real life.

Standard issue Army ifak looks like thisPosted Imagecompared to usmcPosted Imageso yes a square shape, but with not so sharp corners

Standard issue Army ifak looks like thisPosted Imagecompared to usmcPosted Imageso yes a square shape' date=' but with not so sharp corners[/quote']Cool, well thats pretty much it then.. will do for now! Might grab these refs for future!

Yeah nice refs, we can do something more complex down the road, but right now its about getting content done and easily understandable what it is.