nstr_tj

Situational Awareness Suggestion Megathread!

I'm sorry to say this but I think the tone and attitude you took in your original post already sealed the fate of this thread mate. It insured that you wouldn't be taken seriously. At least that's how I read it.

You made a lot of assumptions, spoke in absolutes, didn't indicate that you read the existing threads, and started another redundant thread. Most of those would have been overlooked had you not responded with dismissive replies and now discounting the entire community. Not a good first day for you.

BAHAHAHA please show me these assumptions and absolutes, please!!!  I also DID indicate that I read exsisting threads.  is this the freaking twilight zone???

Try recognizing them on a monitor 1600x900 or smaller. Games often have a distorted sense of distance, and everything feels much farther than it actually is do the scaling of the game world usually. RO2 is a very good example of that. Only reason I'm able to recognize Germans from Soviets at over 100m is: The ingame map, the shiny stalhelm vs the green helmet or tan hats, and the way they run. This game isn't going to have well-defined frontlines usually, so its going to be much harder to identify teammates. I don't see why having a designation for teammates (provided you're close enough) is a bad idea.

I don't see why you're so flabbergasted either, this thread is relatively civil and you're asking for things that are closer to milsim than many would like.

Well that's the point is that we're all looking at these small screens so we all have the same advantage/disadvantage (not that much bigger diff for larger screens). Again having symbology over friendlies even while close will give you an insane advantage distigushing something moving in the bushes towards you.  Do you guys know what I mean by that?  You all like that?

BAHAHAHA please show me these assumptions and absolutes, please!!! I also DID indicate that I read exsisting threads. is this the freaking twilight zone???

Dude get out of here. I was excited to have you join, being AF ISR, but you're caustic. You're new and you didn't do your homework. As others have said, you didn't say anything that hasn't already been discussed and debated already. You told the devs what they MUST do and no, you didn't indicate in your original post that you read anything

Also, I think asking the player to distinguish between friend and foe is perfectly reasonable and is already in game. Tags only show up within a certain distance (can someone confirm). IFF is one thing. Knowing which of your friends is another and requires something the supplement the lack of senses, as Unfrail described

So you're cool with having a floating name bouncing around that makes sure that you don't shoot him?  How is that fun or challenging?

How your situational awareness is in real life is completely different from the one in-game. Features like focus mechanic, a map,  nametags, map/ 3D markers, speaker icon, kit icons, mag count, fire mode indicator and squad member markers are there to breach the gap between months of training, knowing each of your squad members personally, combat experience etc. and sitting in front of a monitor with a limited resolution and field of view. Implementation of individual features is debatable, but the logic behind them isn't - you simply can't compare real life to sitting in front of a monitor.

/thread

Dude get out of here. I was excited to have you join, being AF ISR, but you're caustic. You're new and you didn't do your homework. As others have said, you didn't say anything that hasn't already been discussed and debated already. You told the devs what they MUST do and no, you didn't indicate in your original post that you read anything

I said that i read other threads' comments about it.  You wonder why I'm caustic. How many posts have you posted answering the questions I posed? I said multiple times to leave the oh the norm is the norm comments out. Only constructive comments regarding my questions AGAIN I ask.

How your situational awareness is in real life is completely different from the one in-game. Features like focus mechanic, a map,  nametags, map/ 3D markers, speaker icon, kit icons, mag count, fire mode indicator and squad member markers are there to breach the gap between months of training, knowing each of your squad members personally, combat experience etc. and sitting in front of a monitor with a limited resolution and field of view. Implementation of individual features is debatable, but the logic behind them isn't - you simply can't compare real life to sitting in front of a monitor.

/thread

LOL You didnt read my post either did you silly?  I said there's hundred's of reason's why this isn't real life.  PLEEEAASSSEEE somebody read my post  :(

Ok i'll get out cause you feel telling me to shut up about improving the game's SA. Annnnnnnnd NO! Yes I'm new. What hw should I have done?

Learning how to multi quote would be a good start.

I suck at web editing.  Again thanks for the suggestions and positive improvements to the OP's questions!

Welcome to bootcamp of SQD forums. :lol:

PS. The reason this thread  turned like this, is because the subject is the most depate arising subject there have been on the last 10 months here at forums and already beaten to death. You basicly walked to minefield sailor. ;)

Ok i'll get out cause you feel telling me to shut up about improving the game's SA. Annnnnnnnd NO! Yes I'm new. What hw should I have done?

Ok let's chalk this up written communication is a poor conveyer of emotion and intention. To me you're coming off as a troll and to you, I'm obviously an asshole who doesn't like new ideas. I don't think either of those are really the case.

The homework I speak of consists of reading the existing threads, reading the warnings from the devs saying "stop posting redundant topics", and then to realize that you haven't even played the game while many of us have. And I don't mean that in a way that we are soooo elite but what's your point of reference?

You asked why we need namteags and I explained - because recognizing uniforms on a monitor is a lot harder than IRL and because in-game all characters look generic while IRL you'd know each squad mate for months. You need to see somebody's name in order to address him via VOIP. It helps gameplay and removes some frustration at the expense of military nerds crying about immersion. Same goes for pretty much every other mechanic you've complained about.

As many others have pointed out - Squad is not milsim.

If you so desperately want to talk about these things come up with a concrete suggestion first, present it in a relatable way and then we can talk about it. Instead, you're just attacking anybody that answers your post.

I'm sorry to say this but I think the tone and attitude you took in your original post already sealed the fate of this thread mate. It insured that you wouldn't be taken seriously. At least that's how I read it.

You made a lot of assumptions, spoke in absolutes, didn't indicate that you read the existing threads, and started another redundant thread. Most of those would have been overlooked had you not responded with dismissive replies and now discounting the entire community. Not a good first day for you.

Still waiting for all of my absolutes and assumptions... He says lies and you like it? Eww why?

You asked why we need namteags and I explained - because recognizing uniforms on a monitor is a lot harder than IRL and because in-game all characters look generic while IRL you'd know each squad mate for months. You need to see somebody's name in order to address him via VOIP. It helps gameplay and removes some frustration at the expense of military nerds crying about immersion. Same goes for pretty much every other mechanic you've complained about.

As many others have pointed out - Squad is not milsim.

If you so desperately want to talk about these things come up with a concrete suggestion first, present it in a relatable way and then we can talk about it. Instead, you're just attacking anybody that answers your post.

Whats your call of duty gamertag?

Still waiting for all of my absolutes and assumptions... He says lies and you like it? Eww why?

You really are trolling now. I'm sorry, I would be happy to continue arguing with you when I'm not on my phone (which is why my posts are short and haven't been able to fully address your demands)

Whats your call of duty gamertag?

You see, this is what SandSukka meant with you making assumptions. Just stop posting, go clean your gun or whatever.

Are we being Punked?... Is that a thing anymore? Seriously dude, you don't have to be a wordsmith to not come off as condescending as we're all hearing you in your replies to what are peoples honest attempts at answering your issues with the game. Only possible explanation is that you live under a bridge.

You really are trolling now. I'm sorry, I would be happy to continue arguing with you when I'm not on my phone (which is why my posts are short and haven't been able to fully address your demands)

No no no. If you're going to slander me than stop acting like a baby and say you messed up.

You see, this is what SandSukka meant with you making assumptions. Just stop posting, go clean your gun or whatever.

Yes that was an assumption but was posted after his assumption post.  Thanks for the answers to the OP!

Are we being Punked?... Is that a thing anymore? Seriously dude, you don't have to be a wordsmith to not come off as condescending as we're all hearing you in your replies to what are peoples honest attempts at answering your issues with the game. Only possible explanation is that you live under a bridge.

Please please please I ask a sane person to look at my ENTIRE post.  You can clearly see how I disliked the nametags, made suggestions on what i DID NOT WANT in the game (not take out of the game) but posed questions on improvements. The only thing you could have perceived as confrontational is me saying how much I disliked VoodooButtPirate bouncing on my screen when I'm trying to get hooked in the immersion. I stated I didn't want posts on how its been tried before or whatever excuse people still want to use. I asked pretty nicely I thought to pose friendly suggestions on improving VoodooButtPirate.  Now look at what my replies to those were? Any normal person would get pissed that people are literally doing the exact opposite of the OP.  You could then see me get more irate the more it happened. Then people throwing out lies that I said (which I'm not sure why when you can go back and look?).  Seriously look at the replies and tell me what you would do? Is the must have for nametags to know if a guy next to you is a bad guy or not that great in this community?  I'm honestly asking nicely because it's a big deal for me.

Edit:  Please please save the its been tried before, close thread.  Not only did I ask not for those posts but thats been said before right??  ;)

Firstly, I apologize for getting my personal thoughts across mixed within the challenge to you all as I am not a wordsmith but I digrizzle...

What drives me crazy playing and watching fps' are the freakin nametags over someones head, Yep you are correct, it cuts out the I-word ESPECIALLY when there name is something like VodooButtPirate. Seriously? Is this an MMORPG or the Sims? Complete immersion breaker if you ask me. I-word starts to be old, but..  I've seen an heard from other players literally say "oh i didnt shoot him because he did/didn't have a name tag or not have to check his peripherals due to a mini map or hud. Wheere I haven't seen in SQD vids this, but haven't followed too closely lately I've seen people on other threads say they want nametags on friendlies or out to a certain distance and I ask you why? To improve communication and allow the VOIP to be used to tactics and stategy more than just spamming "who is speaking" "Me! XXX-soldier" "But where are you" "Your right side 2nd player" .... Can you not distinguish between an insurgent or US soldier? Yes, but between US or Between Insurgents NO Just because you would "know them in RL" dictates you see a bouncing name (or symbology) running around 800m away either with or without having to have LOS? Game is still heavily WIP  It's like people want to be spoon fed more and more and I don't get it.  Some does, but there is also limits what game can deliver and some artificial mechanics are needed to overcome those

My personal suggestions to the Dev's regarding this issue would be to:

-remove all nametag's or hovering symbology or characters Total removing would turn the game a mess and everyone would suffer a noobs running around like headless chickens, because they couldn't ID their SQD mates. Limited visibility will be in my understanding the best compromise between gameplay and realism.

-not display arrows on HUD of where possibly friendlies, but most definitely enemy infantry positions are I would assume the latter we can strike over in the first place, the first one will create better and more professional SQD movement and formations. This compensates the lack of training (people meet in servers first time etc.) and lack of senses we have in real life.

-a MUST would be to remove the scoreboard.  Going to a scoreboard to see if you killed someone is insanely immersion breaking I totally agree, no need any type of ingame scoreboard while round is going. End of the round stats is another topic (a minefield)

-remove the ability to communicate to anyone while you're dead, cause you're dead and dead people can't talk.  (That's the price you pay.  Not being able to sprint around the corner, die and immediately tell you're entire team where in the building they are located.) This is something that can be muted, since then many players would start to use 3rd party VOIP programs to overcome this and the teamwork and communication in SQD-game would suffer as a whole.

-the ability to crawl and reload. Try it. I hope this will implemented, but prone and crawl is the newest implementation in movement and still prototype stage

Then there's the "oh this is a milsim, not RL" and I totally agree!  good There's hundreds of reasons why this game isn't real life so can we please not bring that up further?  That goes for 'oh it could be in the future". Trust me, I have a lot of real world information on the topic as a whole so again, please refrain from using that as an excuse. Many here do have RL experience, some on the warzones, some from other parts of the life. Even ages are ranging from 15 to 65+

This obviously for a "milsim", not an arcade shooter should not be acceptable so here is a challenge to the Squad community! Let's come up with serious and immersion I-word friendly suggestions that I will take the most commented on and use those for a poll once collected.  We need to stop saying that nothing can be done about it and freaking come up with something about it!!! Indeed new ideas are welcome

A few questions to be solved:

-What is a more immersive alternative to knowing where your squad mates are around you? Answered before

-How to update the mini map to improve SA without displaying too much? Sorry can't understand, I'm not a native english speaker

-Is there a more immersive way of knowing you killed someone than looking at a scoreboard? Answered before

I will add more as dictates but I am very much looking forward to discussion/suggestions on a more immersive I-word HUD for Squad!  

Annnnnnnnd go! And so we indeed did. :)

I never said i was the only combat vet in this community so you need to check what you say before you type. I was ensuring someone who tried to talk to me about human senses in a combat environment what my accreditations are on the subject. Not being mean at all. However MY suggestion to you would be to read the OP's questions and make constructive suggestions on the matter. You are exactly part of the problem on why nothing changes. You simply say "man people have tried so you might as well quit." Nice attitude. I hope you are never in my squad. I've seen plenty of videos btw, thanks.

Being out of the mil a year is a tactiool salt dog warrior huh?

Your condescending tone (much like the one in bold) is what I was referring to in your previous post. You won't make many friends around here talking to people like that. Also, from the guy who wants people to read his OP and not put words in his mouth, don't put any in mine. I answered your OP with a legitimate response, watch videos, learn about the game THEN make suggestions. If you don't like that answer, tough cookies friend.

As for your OP questions, Desmo is doing a great job answering them, but you seem to want him to agree with you, not have a discussion about them. You're suggestions are good, but they have been talked about before on this forum. MORE THEN ONCE. Stop beating a dead horse, please. At least for the Dev.s sake because now they gotta waste their time reading through this garbage thread.

I doubt you'll get many more answers to your OP (well, any that you would agree with...) just by your attitude and responses to previous posts. So continue your flame war because I don't know if you know this already but first impressions last a long fucking time.

I think that's a wrap....

Debate is a great thing, and not something I discourage, it encourages us to challenge the 'norm' and strive to achieve great things. However as with some conflicts, knowing when to pull the pin and to cut your losses, walk away and live to fight another day...

The end.