unfrail

Dedicated "Enemy Chat" VOIP channel.

So, I am all for the current audio isolation, keeping enemies from hearing your local chat etc.

I would like to suggest that there is a channel added that is designed to be heard by the enemy.

IRL, there are ways to isolate your team comms from the enemy, whether hand signals etc, and we have that function. But it is also common to interact with the enemy, whether for PsyOps, or in Insurgency-Mode Civilian-BluFor interactions, etc.

I know it probably wouldn't be super priority, but I have been missing this ability to cross communicate at my discretion in-game.

"But 'frail, 'Muricans don't speak Pashto!"

Translators. Memorized phrases. Non-verbal. Call it a compromise, like re-spawn.

Hahaha, I need this channel to alloha snackbar fear into the enemy team before detonating myself.

How about some built-in voice commands that both friendlies and enemies can hear?

So us "not-taliban-because-people-might-get-offended" Insurgents can get our Aloha Snackbars in.

No. You're fired.

:):mellow::(

How would you stop someone from playing a loud song on YouTube through this channel to make the enemy's ears hurt?

I see this as basically the same thing as local-comms are now, but adding in the ability for enemies to hear. The range of audio wouldn't be far enough for it to make sense to spam it throughout, but since your team would hear also, your SLs/admins could mute the ones who take it over the top.

Additionally, with some of the SAR modes suggested, when operating a vehicle it could function louder as if it was coming from a PA, so that the search-party looking for the lost-team could hear them, but so could the Insurgents. In regular AAS modes, I wouldn't mind hearing boom-car tunes as the bus blows past either...

Hahaha, I need this channel to alloha snackbar fear into the enemy team before detonating myself.

Really though, there has to be some light hearted banter right? I mean, when you and your enemy catch eachother with empty mags and you're scrambling for shovels/pistols/knives whatever, It would sure be nice to be able to insult them in the process.

I think shouting at your enemy has historically been a big part of war, and it does something for morale, and also comes at a cost of using it at the wrong time.

We can't force it on always, as in real life, otherwise we scare people to TS/Mumble etc, but I think it could be considered to make as an option.

Honestly, I've put 5 minutes of thought into this, and it could be a horrible idea when implemented. But. I can also see some uses, and haven't seen it suggested as an optional, separate channel with the specific purpose of inter-force comms, so, keep shootin, I'm loosely attatched. :P

:):mellow::(

I see this as basically the same thing as local-comms are now, but adding in the ability for enemies to hear. The range of audio wouldn't be far enough for it to make sense to spam it throughout, but since your team would hear also, your SLs/admins could mute the ones who take it over the top.

Additionally, with some of the SAR modes suggested, when operating a vehicle it could function louder as if it was coming from a PA, so that the search-party looking for the lost-team could hear them, but so could the Insurgents. In regular AAS modes, I wouldn't mind hearing boom-car tunes as the bus blows past either...

Really though, there has to be some light hearted banter right? I mean, when you and your enemy catch eachother with empty mags and you're scrambling for shovels/pistols/knives whatever, It would sure be nice to be able to insult them in the process.

I think shouting at your enemy has historically been a big part of war, and it does something for morale, and also comes at a cost of using it at the wrong time.

We can't force it on always, as in real life, otherwise we scare people to TS/Mumble etc, but I think it could be considered to make as an option.

Honestly, I've put 5 minutes of thought into this, and it could be a horrible idea when implemented. But. I can also see some uses, and haven't seen it suggested as an optional, separate channel with the specific purpose of inter-force comms, so, keep shootin, I'm loosely attatched. :P

Would definitely encourage more creativity than tbagging.

How would you make it this as opposed to this?  Nothing against Street Fighter, but one is freakin horrifying and awesome, and the other is .. what it is.

Not sure what you mean exactly, but I imagine taunts are pre-programmed in SF?

I know that was mentioned above, but I'm more interested in considering adding a channel tied to mic, audible by everyone within earshot. That first clip is the obvious "ideal pandemonium," and I'm glad you linked it cause its what I was thinking. In some of the small matches I've had 5 seconds of staring in the enemy's eyes, and it would've been cool to get another level of interaction. It makes the enemy more real. Making it separate avoids the aforementioned VOIP abandonment issues as well.

Would it help gameplay? It can. sometimes its fun to talk to your enemy. Sometimes its useful.

While I cant justify its specific necessity, I think the question is "Would it hurt the gameplay?"

"But 'frail, 'Muricans don't speak Pashto!"

Translators. Memorized phrases. Non-verbal. Call it a compromise, like re-spawn.

The problem is, in a public 50 vs 50 game, you don't know what a friendly voice sounds like compared to an enemy voice. There's no way to immediately tell if a certain voice belongs to a friendly or an enemy. So this would make it unrealistically easy to interfere with the enemy's comms. If I (someone who speaks English with a generic American/Canadian accent) was on a Californian server, I could go into some CQB with enemies and say "hey look behind you!" to try and trick the enemy into doing the wrong thing. As a result, players would begin to distrust localVOIP.

Actually, this made me think of something funny. What if there was a server that had a strange rule: "Players on the RU team have to speak with a Russian accent, and players on the US team have to speak with a Texan accent."? :P

Why you see in the bottom left who is speaking over what radio or local, when nothing apears there it could be only enemys ;).

But I would love that feature, but i think it would be better when it is the local voice, so stealth communications is only available over squad and lead radio.

Then you must be more cautious if your speaking all the time in enemy zone and so on. And mayby you get some informations out from hearing the enemy building up fobs and so on.

The best solution in my eyes but dont know if its makeable, that when you speak over local and enemys could hear you in 20-30m or so a native language sound would be played with some random conversations.

So that this is only for spotting enemys when they speak over local and you have the full immersion with hearing only their native language.

Why you see in the bottom left who is speaking over what radio or local, when nothing apears there it could be only enemys ;).

What if friendlies and enemies are talking at the same time? (eg. 4 enemies and 4 friendlies in the same building, and all of them are 20-30 year old males who speak English with a standard American accent?)

Then you hear nothing because of the firefight that will start in any seconds you can hear shit and you only fight ;).

But seriously you have to concentrate more on this situation to, i think this would be amazing for more RP and immersion.

And when you hear enemys in an building you dont want to give your position away, so you will shut up and clear the area.

In arma3 with taks force etc. you can steal enemy radios to observe their plans, and you can also hear them over voip.

So when you know you are near enemys you have differnt tactics. And sometimes there are 30vs30 and there are no problems because of that.

Keep in mind I'm suggesting a separate channel from local talk.

This channel functions like local, but its sole purpose is to be heard by the enemy, or any third faction.

Its function is Player Interaction.

Its purpose is to get information to the enemy, primarily for taunts, and head-games. For fun.

It would not compromise local-talk integrity intended for your team only. That is already proven a non-option.

As Speedy mentioned above, if you cant hear who's saying what because you have 4 friendlies, and 4 enemies talking too loud within local proximity, then either you're not really enemies, or you need to start throwing nades. :) Considering I don't expect that situation to arise frequently, if ever, it would be kind of a treat imo.

---

realtalk, probably not going to happen. But. I miss talking shit to the enemy, whether its the "Allahu ACKBAAAR" before a spray of murderous death, or just the regular banter from foxhole to foxhole.

Giving your enemy a tongue (one limited by distance, and at will) is giving your enemy a name and face.

I understand currently any voice comms, radio & local, are restricted to the faction you are in. That I suppose helps simulates that even if an enemy was close enough to hear local chat they may not be able able to understand the language spoken.

Having a way to voice communicate directly with the opposite faction I think will only lead to verbal abuse and bullying and for that reason i wouldn't like to have it in. I see enough text chat abuse in games as it is without having to listen to it as well.

Now if an enemy is near and speaking to his teammates I think there should be some random audio transmitted in that factions native language as an audio cue that enemies are near and help locate them. It would help to stop the crap talk when in close range of enemies and help people focus on their role with just the important comms going out.

EDIT: Bit worried that ^^ might push people to 3rd party comms though.

I'm against it. It's only going to be abused to confuse or to badmouth or to annoy the opposition and clutters the comms needlessly, I mean, you say it yourself that you want it for that exact purpose. Keep your badmouthing shit in the privacy of your own room/Squad/local if you so desire, but don't go out there and piss me off when all I want to do is to play a game.

If this suggestion would've been exploring new ways to play Insurgency(the PR game mode, not the game), then I'd be happy to listen to what you have to say, but this? This is an atrocious suggestion.

I understand currently any voice comms, radio & local, are restricted to the faction you are in. That I suppose helps simulates that even if an enemy was close enough to hear local chat they may not be able able to understand the language spoken.

Having a way to voice communicate directly with the opposite faction I think will only lead to verbal abuse and bullying and for that reason i wouldn't like to have it in. I see enough text chat abuse in games as it is without having to listen to it as well.

Now if an enemy is near and speaking to his teammates I think there should be some random audio transmitted in that factions native language as an audio cue that enemies are near and help locate them. It would help to stop the crap talk when in close range of enemies and help people focus on their role with just the important comms going out.

EDIT: Bit worried that ^^ might push people to 3rd party comms though.

I love the idea of being able to hear people on the other side (or some garbled pastiche of their language) - unfortunately, some players are a bunch of no-life sad sacks who will cheat at every opportunity, will resort to third party comms like you point out, so it will never happen.

Not sure what you mean exactly, but I imagine taunts are pre-programmed in SF?

I know that was mentioned above, but I'm more interested in considering adding a channel tied to mic, audible by everyone within earshot. That first clip is the obvious "ideal pandemonium," and I'm glad you linked it cause its what I was thinking. In some of the small matches I've had 5 seconds of staring in the enemy's eyes, and it would've been cool to get another level of interaction. It makes the enemy more real. Making it separate avoids the aforementioned VOIP abandonment issues as well.

Would it help gameplay? It can. sometimes its fun to talk to your enemy. Sometimes its useful.

While I cant justify its specific necessity, I think the question is "Would it hurt the gameplay?"

Having a channel like this would be great if/when they implement kit dropping and handcuffs/zip ties so you could sneak up on an enemy and give them a chance to surrender and gain intelligence out of them, would most likely work best in some sort of insurgency mode where you have unknown enemy stashes.  though i could see it being like giving the captured enemy a few options of what they would give away like maybe a grid reference to enemy fob or rally, or ied location?  maybe even troop movements for a short period like you get a last know position of one squad at random.  ideally that should be optional for both sides.  Melee beatdown could be another way to capture the enemy and put them in a captured state... just an idea i had and thought it would be neat :P

Im not opposed to the idea but think it would make more sense if the standard local channel could be heard by the enemy. Realistically, why shouldn't local be heard? If you're shouting to the guys around you, anyone within earshot should hear it, including the enemy

The downside is that everyone would probably stop using local and just spam the squad channel instead. Probably not a good idea as a result