Nightingale

First Person Weapon Collision

So there are a few games out there that have a system in place which detect if any part of your weapon is touching a hard surface in the environment, and prevents you from pointing the weapon in those directions.

I think this system, when implemented properly, is nice because it solves 2 problems in FPS games:

1.) It is no longer possible to accidentally reveal your position by letting your rifle's barrel clip through a concrete wall.

2.) Compact weapons gain a realistic advantage in confined spaces. If you were carrying a M240B through a narrow hallway, you'd find that the weapon is colliding all the time with the walls and floor, making it very very difficult to use in that environment. So if you want to have an easier time in the hallway, you'll need to use a smaller weapon like a M4A1. With this system in place, there would be a real and functional reason to choose a M4 carbine over a full size M16A4 rifle in a video game.

So I wanted to ask if there are any plans to include this kind of feature in Squad?

Merlin's said something about bodies not clipping through walls (the game will have a system similar to BF4's) but yea, I'd love to see it with weapons as well.

If you were carrying a GPMG through a narrow hallway, you'd find that the weapon is colliding all the time with the walls and floor.

You should be super careful with that sort of things. You can't control your arms with a mouse like IRL and almost no one has some hydra or stem controllers so this is just not possible in the way it is IRL

Though if it's some sort of arma's double-ctrl lowering weapon then it's fine. What are other games with alike systems?

You should be super careful with that sort of things. You can't control your arms with a mouse like IRL and almost no one has some hydra or stem controllers so this is just not possible in the way it is IRL

Though if it's some sort of arma's double-ctrl lowering weapon then it's fine. What are other games with alike systems?

Infiltration for UT99 had a pretty good weapon collision system, from what I remember. 

its nice that a system like this will be implemented but in my opinion the wrong way to do it is the way arma 2 did. the weapon making it so you cant turn around in a doorway is a little much, and was a big cause for arma feeling so clunky, IRL you would have a better sense of movement with something in your hands that cant be replicated with mouse and keyboard simply,

Rather than actual collision, automatic weapon lowering/raising to get it around the obstacles. Nothing was more frustrating in ArmA 2 than trying to clear a room and being blocked because you're trying to sidestep through a door.

In Insurgency, if you are carrying a FAL or an AK near a wall you cannot aim and the weapon is restrained. But if you are carrying a MP5 or AKS you can.

Rather than actual collision, automatic weapon lowering/raising to get it around the obstacles. Nothing was more frustrating in ArmA 2 than trying to clear a room and being blocked because you're trying to sidestep through a door.

This is where we'd want to go. Personally I'd like something similar to Infiltration, where you automatically maneuver your weapon around obstacles in a shouldered stance (no restriction of movement) or "colliding" against the wall in a sighted stance where your intent is to keep your weapon up.

Collision would be nice, imagine you manuring your weapon over a cover wall, and then you cannot aim more down because your weapon is colliding to the top of the wall, just like this shity drawing.

Angle A is the limit due to the collision from the magazine with the wall, in order to aim higher the player would need to go away from the wall..
Angle B is the limit due to the limited view angle, in order to aim lower the player would need to go closer to the wall.

njoV8Os.png

This is where we'd want to go. Personally I'd like something similar to Infiltration, where you automatically maneuver your weapon around obstacles in a shouldered stance (no restriction of movement) or "colliding" against the wall in a sighted stance where your intent is to keep your weapon up.

If I recall, in Infiltration, your weapon pushes back towards the player when you move against the wall and stuff. Adds some dynamic to the collision, that and they had really good free aim system which felt fluid compared to most games.

If I recall, in Infiltration, your weapon pushes back towards the player when you move against the wall and stuff. Adds some dynamic to the collision, that and they had really good free aim system which felt fluid compared to most games.

vzcg5lQ.gif

In Insurgency, if you are carrying a FAL or an AK near a wall you cannot aim and the weapon is restrained. But if you are carrying a MP5 or AKS you can.

It's pretty much any weapon, and the same goes for some fences and things too if the gap isn't big enough for the barrel to point through.

Collision would be nice, imagine you manuring your weapon over a cover wall, and then you cannot aim more down because your weapon is colliding to the top of the wall, just like this shity drawing.

Angle A is the limit due to the collision from the magazine with the wall, in order to aim higher the player would need to go away from the wall..

Angle B is the limit due to the limited view angle, in order to aim lower the player would need to go closer to the wall.

njoV8Os.png

This happens in insurgency except your char would bring the weapon back to his side of the wall and point it at the floor if you aimed it down too far.

wow, i had UT99 back in high school i never even heard of this mod :( looks really solid though. hope to see these features in SQ fo sho

At the risk of venturing slightly OT, here's a very good write up on Infiltration's features that make it stand out.

http://dslyecxi.com/?s=infiltration

WOW. FUCKING WOW. Squad should copy everything from this game as it is and then improve on it with 2015's tech.

WOW. FUCKING WOW. Squad should copy everything from this game as it is and then improve on it with 2015's tech.

I love the ADS while sprinting, Squad should definitely implement this. It would be really useful for suppressing fire while trying to cross a road.

Just another thought:

If you have a weapon like the AKMS, AKS-74, Skorpion, FN FNC, etc. you can fold the stock down. While it is down, your soldier will be able to hold the butt of the gun closer to his shoulder than would have been possible with the stock extended. Recoil and sway would of course be a lot worse without the stock, but it means you can present a much much smaller target during CQB, much like a handgun.

And thanks for sharing the links and vids about Infiltration guys, I really enjoyed seeing such a perfect weapons handling system put into practice (albeit with 2002 technology). :)

Yes please, especially clipping through walls is extremely annoying, can't put on a number on how many cheap kills I've scored that way. Model collision for weapons, avatars and vehicles would be very welcome and much appreciated.

I also like the idea of resting weapons on surfaces to go along with this system.

Merlin's said something about bodies not clipping through walls (the game will have a system similar to BF4's) but yea, I'd love to see it with weapons as well.

BF4 and BFH clips the character through wall all the time. specially when prone, so this "system" is fail.