rulie

Favorite Inspirational Quotes

74 posts in this topic

On 9/1/2015 at 5:13 PM, rulie said:

''Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save''

...i feel like this right now, but then i found this post down some rabbit hole that kinda made more sense to me...kinda...

About saving data.

LAST week, to protect my photographs of a much-missed girlfriend I told all my back-up services to talk to each other. My snaps have since been multiplying like the runaway brooms in Disney’s Fantasia, and I have spent days trying to delete them.

A Prehistory of the Cloud: The paradox of saving data

Apart from being an idiot, I got into this fix because my data has been placed at one invisible but crucial remove in the cloud, zipping between energy-hungry servers scattered across the globe at the behest of algorithms I do not understand.

By duplicating our digital media to different servers, we insure against loss. The more complex and interwoven these back-up systems become, though, the more insidious our losses. Sync errors swallow documents whole. In the hands of most of us, JPEGs degrade a tiny bit each time they are opened. And all formats fall out of fashion eventually.

“Thus disaster recovery in the cloud often protects us against the disaster of the cloud itself,” says Tung-Hui Hu, a former network engineer whose A Prehistory of the Cloud poses some hard questions of our digital desires. Why are our commercial data centres equipped with iris and palm recognition systems? Why is Stockholm’s most highly publicised data centre housed in a bunker originally built to defend against nuclear attack?

Hu identifies two impulses: “First, a paranoid desire to pre-empt the enemy by maintaining vigilance in the face of constant threat, and second, a melancholic fantasy of surviving the eventual disaster by entombing data inside highly secured data vaults.”

The realm of the cloud does not countenance loss, but when we touch it, we corrupt it. The word for such a system – a memory that preserves, encrypts and mystifies a lost love-object – is indeed melancholy. Hu’s is a deeply melancholy book and for that reason, a valuable one.

Blood must have blood

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Try everything once except incest and folk dancing.

Sir John Beecham.

Always makes me smile.

On a serious note a quote I have often turned to through out my career:

"If your pictures aren't good enough, you aren't close enough."  - Robert Capa

image.jpg

Edited by chronic

My favorite quotes often come from war, the US Civil War is highly quotable, but I'm also a Southerner

-General James Longstreet

“Opinion was then expressed that the fifteen thousand men who could make successful assault over that field had never been arrayed for battle; but he (General Lee) was impatient of listening, and tired of talking, and nothing was left but to proceed.”   Regarding the climactic charge at Gettysburg

“When oppressed by severe study, he (General Lee) sometimes sent for me to say that he had applied himself so closely to a matter that he found his ideas running around in a circle, and was in need of help to find a tangent. Our personal relations remained as sincere after the war until politics came between us in 1867.” 

-General Lee

"Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret. "
"We should live, act, and say nothing to the injury of anyone. It is not only best as a matter of principle, but it is the path to peace and honor."

-General and President Ulysses S. Grant

"The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on. "

“The great bulk of the legal voters of the South were men who owned no slaves; their homes were generally in the hills and poor country; their facilities for educating their children, even up to the point of reading and writing, were very limited; their interest in the contest was very meager--what there was, if they had been capable of seeing it, was with the North; they too needed emancipation.” 

"I love it when a plan comes together"

"The strength of the pack is the wolf,

and the strength of the wolf is the pack"

- Kipling (iirc).

no idea where i heard this one tho:

"The one true God is what's between a womans legs"

"I have been feeling so happy and filled to overflowing with the beauty of life. It is all a golden dream with mysterious, high, rushing winds leaning down to caress me, and warm and perfect colors flowing before my eyes. Time and the need of time have ceased entirely. A gentle dreamy haze fills my soul, the rustling of the aspens lulls my senses and the surpassing beauty and perfection of everything fills me with a quiet joy any deep pervading love for my world." 
- Everett Ruess, wanderer

"Who Dares Wins" - British Special Forces (S.A.S)

(The Best In The World) 

:D 

Murphy's law

On 9.9.2015 at 10:58 AM, koschilein said:

"Hodor"

by Hodor in the year of Hodor.

xD

some hitler quotes which fit good in our age :

Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it.

Demoralize the enemy from within by surprise, terror, sabotage, assassination. This is the war of the future.

It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge.

By the skillful and sustained use of propaganda, one can make a people see even heaven as hell or an extremely wretched life as paradise.

How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." - John F. Kennedy

Posted (edited)

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."  -  Jefferson, Thoreau et.al.

Edited by WARti0k0ne -BG-

Posted (edited)

Religion is a collective non-denominational mental defect

-  J.Cadogan

Edited by LaughingJack

“Atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning…”
― C.S. Lewis

Either I will be decorated, or I will be court-martialed. Fire!

— Birger Kristian Eriksen, as he gave orders to fire at the German heavy cruiser Blücher.

It's not really hard to fire guns, but it's immensely hard to make the decision to fire.

— Post-war statement with regards to his decision to open fire

Damn straight we're firing live ammunition.

— Supposedly said as he gave orders to fire

Posted (edited)

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.
Bruce Lee

Spoiler

Edited by Jesterhead

I told you I was ill

Spike Milligan RIP