PanterA

More guns and being able to change equipment

I'm sorry, but I'm going to say weapon customization is a bad idea. Let the devs set up a standard of weapons that can be edited slightly as I think too much weapon customization brings imbalance into the game like BF or COD. Now if the customization are just for visual coolness then I'm ok with it, but if this edits the velocity, distance, or anything else of how a weapon reacts I say no. 

For character customization I would like to see engineers have certain badges and equipment they would have and this goes for riflemen, snipers, and officers. The biggest thing for me is being able to pick the race of a character as I would like to select a char that looks like me. 

This. The thing I love most about PR is that it issues the standard service rifle to almost every player, which is realistic for a platoon of infantry or mechanised infantry. You let people "customise" their guns, and you're in the spec-ops tier, which this game isnt about.

As for movement speed, I think the reasonable thing, is to have a uniform base movement speed for all soldiers of regular armies and a slightly higher base speed for all the "irregulars", who are usually more lightly equiped.

And as for weight, I think it the difference should only be in sprint stamina, as it wont affect unit cohesion much since a squad isnt supposed to be sprinting anyway.

Agreed. Weapon customisation is both unrealistic (Beyond close/ranged optics) and prone to balance issues. If you like trying to work out what to fit to the 20 picattiny rails on your gun, give BF4 a try.

Will the game have a working body armour system or will the vests be cosmetic? And if it does, will the armour cover only the body parts it is actually covering? And will armour be standardised as level IIIA for all regular armies or will it be variable?

I would like this future if it doesnt make a rifleman being able to be a sniper. because of a long range scope on his rifle. 

lets say an M4 should only be able to use holographic,aimpoint and other no long range scopes. 

Would be very nice if you could plumb able to choose which weapon to use... since it fits the standard weapons of the faction.

No need to embellish only be able to choose if I'm going with two smoke grenades or if I'm going with 3 frag and no smoke.

If'll M4 or M16A4 and so is

Traditionally with BF2: PR weapon and character customisation was limited.

I wanted to suggest a system similar to the one they have in Insurgency, if of course any of this is possible (I do not know the limitations of the UE4 engine)

Posted Image

Each option adds to the overall weight of the soldier, thus changing performance (running speed, jump height etc), but maybe without the need for a supply point based system. Either ttachments can be earned (level up rewards ala old school CoD4).

So there's been talk all over about what could be done, what shouldn't and what not, So I'm putting my opinion here- I also have a question for the Dev's too- 

Is customization for a person possible on this engine? How hard would it be? Is it worth it.

You could make some cool items that would distinguish donors that aren't available to other players.

I understand that certain parts of a soldiers kit isn't able to be customized, since it's all standard issue- Like ACH helmets for the US army. We can't all be running around in ACH's and have a random guy walk past with a Mk.7 British combat helmet. It just doesn't make sense.

And certainly camo patterns are one of the key parts of target acquisition, plus they are uniform to any specific unit/battalions.

I also know that we are supposed to be grunts, so we don't have the same kind of options of the Spec ops style blokes. But that doesn't mean we can't have any fun at all.

What about if you could choose whether character has shockproof combat glasses, Aviators(lol I hate them so much), or goggles?

Have tinted goggles or clear? Maybe he has them lifted up onto his helm and is wearing shockproof glasses underneath?

Balaclavas- plain black/tan, or white/grey depending on maps?

Skull design, joker or jester face?

Bandanas wrapped around their face, or neck?

If his face is exposed, what about if he has a beard or mustache?

Customizable patches on the plate carrier/arms, even the sides/back of a helmet that denote clan or donor status?

Reminds me as well, what if we could write on our helmets?

Like they did in Vietnam? Would it be possible?

Just a text editor with a few different handwritten style fonts and a character limit that scribbles something on the side of a helmet?

Different kinds of combat gloves?

Maybe even boots? I know that different guys have different boots and shit... Some have nice Desert cam Danners, others just Coyote Tan 5.11's (like mine).

If it can be done, it'd be a nice thing to throw in. Being uniform, but not completely identical.

And adding a few bits and bops here and there as time goes on, would be something that really makes the community feel loved and worked on.

Insurgents would have even more possibilities- Keeping the base skin but maybe changing their shoes/combat boots, or whether they have a plate carrier LCS/ what camo it is, or just a bandolier. Whether his whole head/face is covered by his shemagh, or just his face? Face exposed and just sitting atop his head?

Maybe he doesn't have a shemagh at all and just rolls with a balaclava, maybe a headband with his respective flag on it.

Can it be done?

In addition to all of that, which sounds great, I'd like to see customizable patches that could indicate anything from donor status to clan.

I know it has been mentioned but it has no designated area so as opposed to going Off topic in those threads, I thought I'd make a designated one.

Updated for patches and also custom helmet text?

I know it has been mentioned but it has no designated area so as opposed to going Off topic in those threads, I thought I'd make a designated one.

Updated for patches and also custom helmet text?

The first thread is called "Weapon and Soldier Customisation" :P 

In addition to all of that, which sounds great, I'd like to see customizable patches that could indicate anything from donor status to clan.

That would be cool, some kind of badge with a clan insignia on your sleeve. If it's a small texture, transferring that stuff between players shouldn't be too taxing on bandwidth either (not an expert on these things however)..

It would be kind of like the sprays in Valve games.

Well, your suggestions are the most reasonable regarding that issue so far. I'd like to see most of those things.

Arma has a nice system for custom badges that show up on players and sometimes vehicles. You simply add in the unique ID's of players to an .xml file then link that to your profile. It's a nice touch providing it doesn't get abused (which it ultimately does).

Arma has a nice system for custom badges that show up on players and sometimes vehicles. You simply add in the unique ID's of players to an .xml file then link that to your profile. It's a nice touch providing it doesn't get abused (which it ultimately does).

By which I'm assuming you mean giant fluorescent dicks? 

By which I'm assuming you mean giant fluorescent dicks? 

Bang on, sir.

I like the idea of customizing my character. Even if I don't see him myself, it still makes a difference IMO.

I'd like to see different sights in the Eotechs/Acogs.

I'm very fond of my Zombie Stopper irl.

It's unrealistic for grunts yeah, but it's nice as long as it stays within reason- E.g. no hearts and shit.

And I'd like to see magnifiers to be used in conjunction with holographic sights.

THIS TOPIC WAS DEBATED INTENSELY AND FAIRLY LAST YEAR. DUE TO THE FACT THAT MOST OF THE SUGGESTIONS WERE AIDS AND SHOULD HAVE BEEN POSTED UNDER "DISCUSSION" AND THAT NO ONE CARED TO READ THAT I ACTUALLY WROTE THIS, THIS TOPIC IS NOW CLOSED. I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DELETE TOPICS SO PLEASE JUST STOP POSTING. I APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE.

>>IF A MODERATOR SEES THIS, PLEASE DELETE THE TOPIC<<

<3

I like the non-weapon unlocks. I too would love to have personal art on my helmet, or jet or tank. I also like the idea of ranks, though I'm not sure (though not totally opposed to) having them be requirements for kits or leadership roles.

The one thing I'm totally opposed to is unlock-able weapons and rail accessories/scopes. We should not make the experienced players have any more of an advantage than they already do. I understand that it would provide further interest, but I think the things you've listed other than unlock-ables are plenty to keep the players intrigued.

I like the non-weapon unlocks. I too would love to have personal art on my helmet, or jet or tank. I also like the idea of ranks, though I'm not sure (though not totally opposed to) having them be requirements for kits or leadership roles.The one thing I'm totally opposed to is unlock-able weapons and rail accessories/scopes. We should not make the experienced players have any more of an advantage than they already do. I understand that it would provide further interest, but I think the things you've listed other than unlock-ables are plenty to keep the players intrigued.

The issues I can see with the rank limitations are that people who switched accounts would have to level up again to command, there might be a shortage of squad leaders/commanders, and new players who play responsibly may find it boring that some kits/vehicles are locked.

Regarding making the alternate main weapon (same system as PR) an unlock, this might not be a good idea since the alternate weapon might be better than the standard one. If these were unlocks, then to be fair to newer players the unlock alternative weps would have to not be better, only more specialized and difficult to use (but maybe more rewarding if you master them), which is a difficult balance to make for a weapon if you want to stay reasonably realistic.

Regarding the rail accessories, I meant the guns should of course come with standard accessories (like a red dot sight, maybe replace-able with an acog and iron sights, Flashlight when needed, foregrip etc), for everyone. However as you play that class you unlock more specialized but also more advanced/difficult to use equipment that would replace the standard attachments, like alternative higher zoom sights, IR lasers, different foregrips/a bipod for regular ARs, etc. Ideally, these attachments wouldn't necessarily be better, only more specialized. Of course, if it's too difficult to balance this, as you say it's probably not needed if even just some of the other suggestions are implemented. It would be more than enough to keep the game persistent and staying big.

Yes, they're very f***ing stupid. This is Squad, not BF4 you mlgQuickscoping kid!

my vote, thanks for the poll

Would be nice if you told us why :)

nuuuu!

I... I have no idea if this means you like or dislike some of the suggestions, and why or why not in that case.

On a different note, I made this picture to explain a bit further on the unlocks for your soldier:

Posted ImageIn retrospect, I probably shouldn't have made the top poll anwer claim I was going for some arcade shooter here. I made it too easy for the h8ers!

Player rank is determined by what role they have in game. Commanders being majors, squad leaders as lieutenants or sergeants.. roughly.