Burdy323

Grenade Power Meter

Sorry guys but I don't understand how this would add anything?

How do you mess up throwing a grenade in real life? Ok, trying to throw through a first floor window it might not go through and bounce off the wall or whatever, but general throwing out in the open? The throw is never 'guessed', and you're never in a situation where you don't know how hard you're throwing it. I mean come on, we learn throwing mechanics as kids, weight, distance, under-arm, over-arm. Basic human knowledge.

And I agree with the cooking time, just get that nasty bastard out of your hands ASAP  :lol:

Please correct me if I´m wrong but if you trained throwing grenades irl (or baseballs for that matter!), you pretty much know your capability/skill and how far you can throw or where the grenade will land. Since most people are against UI elements, then I agree you need some form of visual indicator to where you will throw the grenade.

I think the random misses should not be because you don´t know where you are actually throwing. If the devs want the random misses/nades bouncing back, then is it not better with a randomness factor? For example, lets say I trained throwing lots of grenades, I know how much strength i need to put into the throw and where I should aim, but sometimes things don´t go as planned and you fail your throw by aiming to the side a bit, or too little or too much power in the throw.

Same thing should be reflected in the game I think. You get a good idea of where you will throw (by, as suggested in this topic, the arms position = power of throw) but sometimes it doesn't work out and you might loose or gain more power than you wanted.

Imo this means you can train and get skilled at throwing grenades, so if you are confident of your skill you pretty much know where the nade will land, but due to some random factors (or timing/other factors? i.e. getting shot at/suppressed, moving etc.) it sometimes fail.

Sure you can train on the current system and still become good at it, yes but you still don´t have any form of indication or control of the power of the throw, which you would irl since you control the power of the throw yourself?

I am sorry but it's a big no to random miss throwing grenades. Once you have gained the skill in knowing how to throw the grenades in game that's all you need. You will naturally mess up from time to time anyway.

Adding a random chance to miss throw your grenades is as bad as adding gun jamming and that subject had been done already.

Please dont!! It will take away from the realism! I think it is challenging and fun trying to judge where your grenade will land. It will just add to the HUD. We are trying to be realistic here guys :)

How does not knowing how hard your throwing take away from realism? Just curious I mean IRL you know how hard you are throwing. I am not saying use a bar or not use a bar I am just saying knowing your throw strength is something you do have IRL.

I am sorry but it's a big no to random miss throwing grenades. Once you have gained the skill in knowing how to throw the grenades in game that's all you need. You will naturally mess up from time to time anyway.

Adding a random chance to miss throw your grenades is as bad as adding gun jamming and that subject had been done already.

I agree mate, I think once you master grenade throwing it should land exactly where you want it. What I meant was if there is a majority that likes the random misses (like some post on this forum suggests) then its better to actually do it random instead of making the system dumb and giving you no indication of the power of the throw.

If by pickle you mean cook, trained and responsible soldiers don't typically cook grenades in real life. Fuse times can be inconsistent, and puts you and your team's lives at risk especially if you mess up your throw.

I'm reading everyone's comments, but as a side note, because I love informing the gaming populace, this is pretty accurate. ^^^

M67 fragmentation grenade has a fuse timer of 3 to 5 seconds...yeah, we don't really cook grenades and IF we do, it's for "one mississippi"

Regarding the OP, I am not adverse to allowing variable strength throwing, but there is a big disconnect between the game world and real life. Being that we are trying to stick with a very minimalist UI, throwing progress bars all over the place is not going to fly. By all means, keep discussing, but for now, learn the throwing distance and adapt, also, don't forget underhand throw exists, good for pitching them directly over high walls.

One approach that I can think of is to prime the grenade using either left or right click, hold it down, and use the numbers from 1 to 5 to gauge the strength of the throw. This way, you can go for reliable, precise throws immediately without waiting for a meter to built up and screwing up on the tossing distance.

Grenade are all great, but it look like you throwing it from your elbow instead of the hands , you look up above the wall thinking it will go above... mistake were made, it will hit the wall because the throw is lower,

then you hear. BAD GRENADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BOMB! lol

Just throwing my opinion here without reading the entire topic.....

I see what you did there :D

I like the suggestion of the left hand raising higher in proportion to the throw power - makes sense.

Being that we are trying to stick with a very minimalist UI, throwing progress bars all over the place is not going to fly.

Unfrail and I have a solution for this (I can't remember which one proposed what on that thread), but basicly the mousewheel as a measure of the throwing force, the more you pull OR the quicker you pull the mousewheel the more force is aplied to the throw.

http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/760-grenade-throwing-system/

It's more a matter of showing the player what the strength or distance is.

Please dont!! It will take away from the realism! I think it is challenging and fun trying to judge where your grenade will land. It will just add to the HUD. We are trying to be realistic here guys :)

Exactly.