PS_DiRtY

In-Game Competitive Features

I searched for a thread like this but didn't see one. Feel free to lock it and point me in the right direction if one already exists. Being a competitive player, it baffles me how often modern developers neglect the competitive community. Most of the features below could be found in PlayStation 2 era games like the SOCOM franchise, yet are non-existent within modern games. Tailoring your game for the competitive community will not only extend the life of the game, it will also ensure the community continues to grow. What features do you want to see in-game? I'm not sure if this kind of stuff is in the long-term vision for the game or not, but 50 on 50 clan wars would be epic.

In-Game Clan Home and Clan Management System

• A clan homepage where members can view, and officers can edit, the clan info (tag, logo, motto, insignia, announcements, etc.), the roster (add members, remove members, and edit intra-clan ranks), view clan record(s) and scheduled matches (Ladders, Leagues, & Tournaments?).  

• A simple intra-clan ranking system

• Leader - Disband team, plus all functions below.

• Co-Leader(s) - Add / remove members, promote/demote members, edit clan info (tag, logo, motto, insignia), plus all below.

• Captain(s) - Schedule matches, post announcements, plus all below.

• Member(s) - Draw in whiteboard, join matches

• Recruit(s) – Can wear the tag, but not participate in matches. Tag needs to be different from clan members. For example: [P$] for the team and [P$]r for recruits.

• Inviting players to the roster should be easy. Click on their name in a lobby, invite to clan. This would add them as a recruit and officers can change their rank later.

• A whiteboard would take the clan system to the next level. Look at awwapp.com. This with the ability to cycle the maps as the background. Your rank within the clan should determine the color of your “marker.” Officers should be able to “mute” individual player markers.

Free Agent Section

• Player’s looking for a team should be able to add themselves to a free agent list. This should display the player’s Kill/Death ratio, Win/Loss ratio, quit percentage, score per minute, number of games played, and number of past clans. Maybe the game could suggest members based off stats that are similar to current members stats?

Ladders

• Ongoing ladders. This should be reset after each season (spring, summer, winter, fall), but have an all-time leaderboard.

• There should be a Team Ladder and Squad Ladder.

• Team and squad matches can be played by any members on the roster. A leader, co-leader, or captain must accept matches.

• There should be a seasonal playoff with the top X-number of teams from that season. For example, a Fall Season Playoff would end with the Fall '14 Champions.

• Matchmaking w/ Scrimmage option – Clans need to be able to find a clan match immediately. Think GB Match Finder. Set number of players and put up a challenge with match settings, then another team can accept the match. There should be a scrimmage option that allows teams to play a matches that won’t affect their record.

• The Crown – There should be a crown. This is something given to the winner of the season 1 playoffs. If the crown holders lose a match, the winning team gets the crown. This is something that teams will fight for on the ladder. It would be awesome if the crown holder’s characters actually wore the crown in-game.

• 72 Hour Rule – Can’t play the same team more than once in a 3 day period.

• 120 Hour Rule - Crown Holders must play at least 1 ranked ladder match every 5 days to continue to hold the crown. If not, it reverts back to previous holder. If there is no previous holder, it should go to the highest ranked team on the ladder.

Tournaments

• Regular tournaments with prizes will keep competitive players active while bringing in new competition.  

Leagues (not necessary, but would be an awesome addition)

• 8 - 16 team leagues where you play each team once then have a seeded playoff with the top 4 - 8 teams. You would play 1 team per week until you have played every team. These matches would be set on default times and days with a set number of players (for example, 8v8 every Thursday at 9 pm est.).

Disputes

• Clans need to be able to dispute losses for cheating or glitching. There needs to be a way to initiate the dispute, upload or provide a link to show proof of what happened, as well as rebut the other teams response. This will help ensure fair gameplay. A competitive scene full of cheaters will kill activity.

Lobbies w/ User Created Rooms, Vote to Kick, Spectating, and an easy clan challenge system

• Competitive players want lobbies (think SOCOM US NAVY SEALS) with the option to create matches with custom rules. You need the ability to police your room by voting people out. Clans should be able to challenge other clans, to a ladder match, on the spot.

Party System

• Player’s should be able to create a party pre-game so everyone can join the same room, on the same team and play together.

Leaderboards

• In addition to the rankings for clan matches, there needs to be a separate leaderboard for ranked play. This should be based on individual player performance. Daily, Weekly, Monthly, and overall leaderboards will keep people competing.

Digital Prizes

• Offer in-game digital prizes for top performers on the leaderboards, ladders, leagues, and tournaments. Simple things like exclusive characters or weapon skins will keep players battling for those top spots.

Cool ideas. Basically something like an built-in forums with ranks etc, similar to some communities UIs for organizing tournaments like F|H or PRTA. We already know there will be some kind of extended support for clans because of the Kickstarter (clan packs, clan patches). In the beginning it will probably be very basic but there lot to expend upon and cool systems waiting to be implemented.

It's very much relevant if the scoring to decide which side wins or loses remains ticket based. Even more so if tickets are tied to player deaths and going into the wounded state. In PR, it's -1 ticket for being wounded/revivable and -2 tickets when you die and have to respawn.

KDR will be important in a competitive mode too, but W/L ratio will be even more important in my opinion.

A skimrish League sounds like a good idea. Also an official tournament like in PR, for everyone out there keep an eye out for the official project reality tournament opening here soon. Everyone is welcome, it's not just for veterans. Squad leaders and command of the team will of corse be very experienced, lots of battle planning, team practise, bonding with your squadies. Not about kill death ratio, more about having a good time.

http://tournament.realitymod.com/

However, kill / death ratio, win / los ratio etc. shouldn't be included. It attracts the wrong gameplay. This game is about leadership, teamwork abilities and not a quick trigger finger.

It's very much relevant if the scoring to decide which side wins or loses remains ticket based. Even more so if tickets are tied to player deaths and going into the wounded state. In PR, it's -1 ticket for being wounded/revivable and -2 tickets when you die and have to respawn.

KDR will be important in a competitive mode too, but W/L ratio will be even more important in my opinion.

KDR is too heavily influenced by the job a person takes. For example in PR the trans squad will most likely be negative, while the CAS and armor squad will be through the roof. I've also seen plenty of squads that get jobs done without coming in contact with any enemies at all. As well as lonewolves that creep around racking up kills without getting anything done at all. KDR just gives ppl more incentive to be self centered when the entire game's theme is about the team. If KDR is a thing and I'm a medic I wouldn't risk my behind for you when you're crying for help and I'm here comfortable picking people off leveling up my KDR. Spend precious time and risking my life patching you up while rest of my squad takes all the kills? No way.

If you're looking at KDR alone, it really means very little. If you're looking at it as one small part of a bigger picture, you can tell a lot about a player. 

Herb Brooks: "All-star teams fail because they rely solely on the individual's talent. The Soviets win because they take that talent and use it inside a system that's designed for the betterment of the team."

Once KDR becomes a thing, that's the stat people's eyes are drawn to. I myself can't explain why but that's just the way it is for most people. No matter how many score incentives the BF devs tries to thrown into their game for team based actions medics still only helped people only at their convenience. In RO2 the number of times a player have died isn't shown and I find myself much more inclined to rush in a help with objectives. Otherwise I would've spent a lot more time staying behind and picking people off with the game's predominantly long range weapons.

I would never bring up BF/COD in comparisons to squad or PR.

you can not single handily pull out a individual mechanic from those genres and use that as an example for why or why not something happends. Single mechanics like that are ignorant of the entire design of the game. To pull out "one mechanic comparisons cross genre" would be a mistake. "cod has low recoil and run and gun play" is not the entire truth. While both of those things are true, they are not causation. In part they are, but its not JUST the recoil that encourages run and gun. So I would stay away from that line of thinking unless you had the time to write out each mechanic and how it affects the next mechanic BEFORE drawing the comparison.

Can you draw examples? sure. But nobody here is doing an educated job at doing that.

Competitive WILL have more focus on stats and KD/WL an other things. Its called competitive for a reason.

If you are spending your time focusing on KD or any other single statistic then you are doing it wrong. KD is only part of a statistical discussion (AND KD IS IMPORTANT), but you should never solely focus on KD. The example of All star teams is perfect.

Look at PR, Does PR suffer the same issues as BF or COD? Yet all 3 of those games show KD.. hmmmmm

KDR shows how many firefights you have won versus how many you have lost. Winning a firefight almost always means winning the ground being fought over, and in PR/Squad that will be a flag/objective. By extension having a good KDR means you took more ground than you have lost, or on the defensive end of things that means you held more ground than you had lost. It's a clear indication of how things are going for a squad when you can see their KDR. If they are like 2/18 they have been fighting a losing battle and may want to try a different approach or maybe play defensive/offense depending on the situation. On the flip side, if you see a squad with 34/3 on the offensive you know that they have cost the enemy a lot of tickets as well as likely secured an objective.

It's not the most important stat by any means, but it does give quite a good indication of how a squad is doing on the whole. In PR you can just build fobs to get a lot of points, but if they are placed poorly or off in an all but abandoned area this squad can likely achieve top squad while actually hurting their team on multiple levels (manpower, logistics, and cohesion). To say KDR is not an important stat is to lose sight that this is an FPS and when it comes down to it you can't win without killing the enemy (unless they setup shop in Mike 13).

The issue I believe people have is the negative impact a bad KDR can have on a player or a squad. I can understand this but instead of looking at that stat and throwing your arms up in surrender why not take note and improve next round? I think KDR is what a player makes of it, you can either let it dominate your game or you can look at it and say "Hmm I need to die less" or maybe "Dayum son I'm taking names!".

KDR shows how many firefights you have won versus how many you have lost. Winning a firefight almost always means winning the ground being fought over, and in PR/Squad that will be a flag/objective. By extension having a good KDR means you took more ground than you have lost, or on the defensive end of things that means you held more ground than you had lost. It's a clear indication of how things are going for a squad when you can see their KDR. If they are like 2/18 they have been fighting a losing battle and may want to try a different approach or maybe play defensive/offense depending on the situation. On the flip side, if you see a squad with 34/3 on the offensive you know that they have cost the enemy a lot of tickets as well as likely secured an objective.

It's not the most important stat by any means, but it does give quite a good indication of how a squad is doing on the whole. In PR you can just build fobs to get a lot of points, but if they are placed poorly or off in an all but abandoned area this squad can likely achieve top squad while actually hurting their team on multiple levels (manpower, logistics, and cohesion). To say KDR is not an important stat is to lose sight that this is an FPS and when it comes down to it you can't win without killing the enemy (unless they setup shop in Mike 13).

The issue I believe people have is the negative impact a bad KDR can have on a player or a squad. I can understand this but instead of looking at that stat and throwing your arms up in surrender why not take note and improve next round? I think KDR is what a player makes of it, you can either let it dominate your game or you can look at it and say "Hmm I need to die less" or maybe "Dayum son I'm taking names!".

Finally someone rational! XD Thank you good sir!

KDR is hardly a fair indicator of that. Like I said It's too heavily dependent on your role and that I've seen plenty who get the job done without getting a single kill and plenty others who kill lots without getting anything done.

KDR is hardly a fair indicator of that. Like I said It's too heavily dependent on your role and that I've seen plenty who get the job done without getting a single kill and plenty others who kill lots without getting anything done.

I like to think the majority of members of the PR community understand this. KDR is not a big deal because most understand the different roles played by each squad.

I like to think the majority of members of the PR community understand this. KDR is not a big deal because most understand the different roles played by each squad.

However this game isn't just made for the PR community. Newer people coming in wouldn't necessarily understand what their priorities are.

I think you're over thinking it CaptCalvin. I'd also prefer to stay on topic and not indefinitely debate whether K/D is a relevant stat or not.