Sign in to follow this  
Rainmaker

Squad observations feedback

Short intro. Long time pr and squad player 2500h play time and what not.

I recently started playing squad again. Here is what this game is lacking:

- Gunfights are terrible, the overall feel of the guns is VERY rudimental and basic (Check Escape from Tarkovs gunfights and how the guns feel there as an quick example).

- Sounds of the guns are weak and pathetic. When I shot an M4 it feels I am using a wooden stick and hitting a plastic bucket its absolutely horrible and its been like this for AGES. 

- DESIGN OF SPECIFIC MAPS. And this is a big one. Fools road and gorodok are absolutely terrible. Its artificial and generic. Either hand craft overhaul everything or straight up remove them from the game.

- Graphics look plastic. I know this is because of high player count/server 

- 2 to 3 shots to the head or body dont take enemy down

- Gameplay feels like quake wars which is a shame because the idea of the game is good. So with this mediocre gameplay style, the game is not falling under something special.

- Game is continiusly forcing you to play on insurgent side when a fresh round starts. Why would you think I want to play on that side? As an example in ro/ro2 and PS I never played on allied side and its very rewarding gameplay and immersion wise.

- STILL to this day you are willingly allow people to abuse graphic option like shadows off to get the edge over honest players. What is the excuse for this nowadays?

These are right of the bat top observations for Squad. I believe you need to do catch up in these parts of development to make this game better than what it is now. My guys all agree so its not just my 2500h ingame saying "this is getting boring", no I am just not that type in general. I stick to few specific types I like and I play them for years. On the other hand these observations come from people with just 300 to 500h gameplay time.

Alot of the stuff with quake wars style gameplay can be solved with server side settings you can give to server hosters for example. And thats without even touching and changing ingame mechanics yet.

Regards,

Rain

1 hour ago, Rainmaker said:

- DESIGN OF SPECIFIC MAPS. And this is a big one. Fools road and gorodok are absolutely terrible. Its artificial and generic. Either hand craft overhaul everything or straight up remove them from the game.

You're simply wrong. There isn't a single bad map in the entire game. They're all individually unique and only getting better with time. Furthermore, the original OPFL should be put back into the game exactly like it was. Removing OPFL was an extremely bad decision.

Hand on the heart opfl served its purpose in the very early days of testing, in that respect its legendary. Now game needs non-generic maps and all generic ones need either overhaul or complete removal. Example of a good map is al basrah, mutaha and talil. Important to note OWI is still about to learn how to make a proper wooded map using UE. There is a clear difference in quality over wooded (generic) maps and Talil for example. Fools road was meant to be fools road from PR but it fails because the game plays drastically different. Tip for making wooded maps is bring more attention to small details. Maybe walk in a real forest for inspiration. Fools road right now is just a generic map and plays as such. Has no place in the finished game.

4 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

Short intro. Long time pr and squad player 2500h play time and what not.

I recently started playing squad again. Here is what this game is lacking:

- Gunfights are terrible, the overall feel of the guns is VERY rudimental and basic (Check Escape from Tarkovs gunfights and how the guns feel there as an quick example).

- Sounds of the guns are weak and pathetic. When I shot an M4 it feels I am using a wooden stick and hitting a plastic bucket its absolutely horrible and its been like this for AGES. 

- Gameplay feels like quake wars which is a shame because the idea of the game is good. So with this mediocre gameplay style, the game is not falling under something special.

- Game is continiusly forcing you to play on insurgent side when a fresh round starts. Why would you think I want to play on that side? As an example in ro/ro2 and PS I never played on allied side and its very rewarding gameplay and immersion wise.

- STILL to this day you are willingly allow people to abuse graphic option like shadows off to get the edge over honest players. What is the excuse for this nowadays?

These are right of the bat top observations for Squad. I believe you need to do catch up in these parts of development to make this game better than what it is now. My guys all agree so its not just my 2500h ingame saying "this is getting boring", no I am just not that type in general. I stick to few specific types I like and I play them for years. On the other hand these observations come from people with just 300 to 500h gameplay time.

Alot of the stuff with quake wars style gameplay can be solved with server side settings you can give to server hosters for example. And thats without even touching and changing ingame mechanics yet.

Regards,

Rain

As the matter is being discussed in many other posts and channels. 

The big picture is basically, "if you want something changed go mod it".

SQUAD VANILLA Will be BF2...a base for people to come and mod whatever they want. Using their own time and resources. Of course, you Will need a copy of SQUAD to mod and play those mods.

So,... with some luck, they make the money, and we all get the gameplay each of us want.

HAve you sent he STAR WARS MOD???...its much better tan SQUAD vanilla (IN MY OPINION).

2 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

Hand on the heart opfl served its purpose in the very early days of testing, in that respect its legendary. Now game needs non-generic maps and all generic ones need either overhaul or complete removal. Example of a good map is al basrah, mutaha and talil. Important to note OWI is still about to learn how to make a proper wooded map using UE. There is a clear difference in quality over wooded (generic) maps and Talil for example. Fools road was meant to be fools road from PR but it fails because the game plays drastically different. Tip for making wooded maps is bring more attention to small details. Maybe walk in a real forest for inspiration. Fools road right now is just a generic map and plays as such. Has no place in the finished game.

Agree with OP. Some of the maps feel very generic. When I play on forest maps like gorodok I kind of wonder if it's supposed to be a forest or just some city park that had it's trees and barks removed. On a side note, the new Mestia looks nice and some parts really do immerse you in that "forest feel".

12 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

7 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

Now game needs non-generic maps and all generic ones need either overhaul or complete removal.

5 hours ago, Player 1 said:

Some of the maps feel very generic. When I play on forest maps like gorodok I kind of wonder if it's supposed to be a forest or just some city park that had it's trees and barks removed.

so are either of you actually going to define what you mean by generic?

why are FR & G "absolutely terrible"?

- Sounds of the guns are weak and pathetic. When I shot an M4 it feels I am using a wooden stick and hitting a plastic bucket

from my experience last night in the SDK: that is incorrect (or being over-dramatic).

(Check Escape from Tarkovs gunfights and how the guns feel there as an quick example).

so ill d'load Tarkov and play a round or ten (for feels), really quickly.

plastic gfx does sux a bit, but ive seen worse in AAA (GR:WL, lookin at u - everything looked glazed)

the other two, yeah its sad and disappointing and they need to be fixed - they are unacceptable.

how about two peeps making the most noise about how to make a map properly, actually stand up and walk the talk - get the SDK and fix that shiz, upload as a 'directors-cut' map and gain a roast chook for your efforts.

even better: make just a tiny map of your backyard or local park to the degree of detail you want from Squad - see how long it takes you and how much effort it requires and how small the FPS number is at the end ... with just you in it.

ps: not one single map in this game, or any other game i have ever played, has come across as anything but artificial. if you only knew how difficult it is to "create by hand" a perfectly immersive, realistic, believable and individual map (even based on RL), let-alone for a large-scale 100p combined arms game such as Squad, you simply would not make these comments. 

IMO: you will never ever see anything approaching proper immersive realism in multiplayer games  -  not until we get direct neural/optical interfaces, and thats a ways off yet i reckon.

Generic map would mean just take 200 trees, chuck them on the map randomly, generate some random hills and put 5 km of random meaningless roads, and call it a day. Thats a generic map. 

Good example of another generic map is Belaya (absolutely terrible, no offense to the maker but where is your imagination?), picture bellow:

https://squad.gamepedia.com/File:Belaya_AAS_V1.jpg

The map is perfect to test out features and such, but to take it as anything near serious and leave it in the game? We trully do not get that.

On 18/05/2020 at 11:58 PM, EcchiRevenge said:

>honest players
>abuses nvidia filter/gamma

Elaborate please. I do not get your post entirely.

On 20/05/2020 at 8:09 PM, EcchiRevenge said:

You'll find out later.

I will find out what later? I really do not get you. 

On 5/18/2020 at 8:46 PM, Rainmaker said:

Generic map would mean just take 200 trees, chuck them on the map randomly, generate some random hills and put 5 km of random meaningless roads, and call it a day. Thats a generic map. 

no, that's lazy - nothing to do with generic.

On 5/18/2020 at 8:46 PM, Rainmaker said:

Good example of another generic map is Belaya (absolutely terrible, no offense to the maker but where is your imagination?)

Belaya has already been discussed in this context (thread link below).

some saw it similar to how you describe, particularly concerning the roads - the peeps who need a 'story' for each map (sigh).

the outcome of that discussion was myself and some others providing assurance/proof that road networks similar to Belaya do in fact exist in RL in forestry areas, for forestry stuffs (land management, clearing, bushfire access, etc.). one of the "looks fake/made-up/woteva" side of the discussion went and looked at an area we suggested, on google, and admitted that yes it seems that there are places on this planet that do look a lot like that.

if you are a city dweller/suburbanite you may very well be oblivious to the reality - i did much of my early growing up in the bush (living, hiking, etc.), so i've seen plenty of 4WD, fire access and hiking tracks.

On 5/18/2020 at 10:51 AM, LaughingJack said:

get the SDK and fix that shiz, ...