Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Gatzby

Beta 19.4 Released

Recommended Posts

Hey, squaddies!

 

We're still hard at work eliminating bugs that cropped up after the Beta 19 release and, with that in mind, we've got another hotfix to help. The fixes included today are:

 

  • Fixed a client performance issue related to maps using power/telephone cable causing a drop in FPS on Manic-5, Nanisivik, and other maps using the blueprint.
  • Fixed formatting and characters in the server browser. (Welcome back, apostrophes!)
  • Fixed a crash that happened when a client had music volume set to 0% and then reduced global volume below 10%.
  • Fixes for WheelFX, UGL smoke optimization, as well as mortar smoke, and smoke overdraw optimization.
  • Fixed Vehicle Smoke Canister (Curtain) FX visibility beyond 40 meters.
  • Fixed Vehicle Smoke Generator and Vehicle Smoke Canister creating an unintended suppression effect.
  • Improvements to the ability to push client updates without the need for servers to update.
  • Increased FTL spotted marker limit from 1 to 3.

 

We're still whittling away at the remaining issues, especially those with the SDK, AMD FX, and some Intel Xeon CPUs,  so we should have another update for you soon.

Thank you and stay safe out there, squaddies.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone else upset that this is taking so long?

 

I play Squad everyday and my experience has been absolutely destroyed by the May 11th update. Haven't been able to squeeeze out a single hour of gameplay since. 

 

Why was the update released in the first place? And if the update totally ruins the game for people using FX series processors, why aren't developers rushing a fix? My game has been broken for almost five days and all I get in terms of an update is "Update soon!"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JankyJim, 

Sorry to hear you are having major issues getting Squad to work on your PC.

 

B19 had a long dev cycle with many unexpected issues (the release was originally scheduled end of January).

Our QA and programming teams have been tirelessly working to resolve all the major issues that come about after an engine upgrade.

Our Low Quality Audio mode, was a specific mode that helped older AMD architecture be compatible with some UE4 systems. The UE 4.23 engine had multiple issues regarding many sound bugs while in Low Quality Audio mode. It was anticipated that this Low Quality mode was only necessary for some specific AMD 6000 series CPU's with a bad architecture, which had a limited run from 2011-2012. There were very few reported users still running with this old processor, so we made the tough decision to discontinue the support of the Low Quality Sound Mode until all those sound bugs could be worked out.
And as it turns out, there were a much greater number of AMD FX users affected by removing the support for Low Quality than anticipated. We are fighting multiple compatibility issues, server freezes and other bugs and issues with b19, but we are aware the AMD FX users are currently getting the short end of the stick, and will be getting to work on a fix for them as soon as possible.

In the meantime, many AMD FX users have found a workaround solution here, let me know if it helps your situation:
https://offworldindustries.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360048036073-Low-Quality-Audio-Fix

I know its not the answer you wanted to hear, and it hurts me to know that so many daily Squad players like you currently cannot boot up the game they love, due to our negligence to put the resources towards fixing the problem faster and more efficiently.

We will strive to do better in the future, and it definitely shows our need to have more varied testing platforms (the AMD FX platform that we tested B19 on I believe did not have any of the issues being reported).
If and when we make the plan to do another engine upgrade, we will need to be extra vigilant that older CPU's can still boot up the game and play Squad, as we know not everyone can afford to continuously upgrade their PC's especially during a world pandemic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it. If the notes on the website went into 1/10th of the detail that you just provided I would have been much more at ease.

 

On the joinsquad update page, language like "chipping away" and saying "soon" instead of giving a definitive timeline only makes your players more angry and confused. I shouldn't have to sign up and make a forum post to figure out why I can't play my favorite game. 

 

I was hoping a fix would be made available before the long weekend, but I guess a working game is too much to ask for right now from the folks at Offworld. Great timing you guys. 

 

Quote

a much greater number of AMD FX users affected by removing the support for Low Quality than anticipated

 

It seems quite clear that your team is fine with people using older processors being thrown under the bus as long as there aren't too many people complaining. If these are the issues we will be dealing with in the future please just tell me and I will go put $1000 on my credit card at memory express so I can play the game without crashes, freezes, low FPS and sound bugs. Do I have to just bite the bullet now and upgrade my RAM, CPU AND MOTHERBOARD just so I can play my favorite game?

 

Also, the "workaround" did nothing to alleviate my issues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, JankyJim said:

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it. If the notes on the website went into 1/10th of the detail that you just provided I would have been much more at ease.

 

On the joinsquad update page, language like "chipping away" and saying "soon" instead of giving a definitive timeline only makes your players more angry and confused. I shouldn't have to sign up and make a forum post to figure out why I can't play my favorite game. 

 

I was hoping a fix would be made available before the long weekend, but I guess a working game is too much to ask for right now from the folks at Offworld. Great timing you guys. 

 

 

It seems quite clear that your team is fine with people using older processors being thrown under the bus as long as there aren't too many people complaining. If these are the issues we will be dealing with in the future please just tell me and I will go put $1000 on my credit card at memory express so I can play the game without crashes, freezes, low FPS and sound bugs. Do I have to just bite the bullet now and upgrade my RAM, CPU AND MOTHERBOARD just so I can play my favorite game?

 

Also, the "workaround" did nothing to alleviate my issues. 

I hear you on the details, doing some more detailed messaging when there are critical issues affecting players ability to launch the game, is something we need to do better at. I can only say that the last few weeks have been very stressful experience for the team, with multiple issues coming up all at once.

I would say that the team is DEFINITELY not "fine" with throwing older CPU users under the bus, it was not an easy decision made lightly. Our decision was made on information that was not totally accurate, and we should have done a better job at obtaining reports from older hardware users.

Regarding upgrading: this is the absolute minimum Steam requirements that we expect for users to be able to play Squad. We understand there are many players thats fall far below this minimum requirement, and we do our best to suppor that older tech. As we upgrade the game engine, sometimes the performance for those that dont meet the minimum specs is impacted, and this time it was in a major way.
Again I am deeply sorry that this has impacted you.

Memory Express, are you living in Canada?
I myself was using a very old AMD FX cpu to play squad, only 2 1/2 years ago (December 2018). And at the time upgrading seemed impossible due to the massive amount of new hardware that goes along with new cpu,mobo,ram,etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks again for your continued clarification and support.

 

I understand that the FX series is dated, but my game played great on high settings until this update came out. The point I was trying to make was that I shouldn't have to shell out $600+ just to play the game again. 

 

It is immensely disappointing that there is still no update on the cusp of the long weekend. Is there a timeline for a fix or am I just to wait in total darkness?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JankyJim said:

Thanks again for your continued clarification and support.

 

I understand that the FX series is dated, but my game played great on high settings until this update came out. The point I was trying to make was that I shouldn't have to shell out $600+ just to play the game again. 

 

It is immensely disappointing that there is still no update on the cusp of the long weekend. Is there a timeline for a fix or am I just to wait in total darkness?


with the Hotfix just coming out today, our programming team is taking a long deserved break (some of the team did not get much free time the last few weekends).
Work on the AMD FX issue resumes next week. Again, not what you want to hear but I am letting you know we want to resolve this issue so you can once again play Squad.

 

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15.05.2020 at 12:53 AM, Gatzby said:

Increased FTL spotted marker limit from 1 to 3.

FTL are useful again. :)

SL need boost too: disappearing FOB/HUB markers are bad - heed to be able to set more, and longer decay for emplacement marker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, fuzzhead said:


with the Hotfix just coming out today, our programming team is taking a long deserved break (some of the team did not get much free time the last few weekends).
Work on the AMD FX issue resumes next week. Again, not what you want to hear but I am letting you know we want to resolve this issue so you can once again play Squad.

 

image.png

Thanks for the effort.

 

In case it helps. I was having AWFUL stuttering and freezes.

 

I did lots of things. But the magic words for me were "CLEAR CACHE". In some other patche that did nothing for me. But in this one it worked like a charm. 

 

Still---- Im not saying I like b19,..you know, nametags and permanent rallies…;) but...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for FIX. I have some freezes sometimes, but now don't find anything yet! Keep going!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 14/05/2020 at 8:53 PM, Gatzby said:

Hey, squaddies!

 

We're still hard at work eliminating bugs that cropped up after the Beta 19 release and, with that in mind, we've got another hotfix to help. The fixes included today are:

 

  • Fixed a client performance issue related to maps using power/telephone cable causing a drop in FPS on Manic-5, Nanisivik, and other maps using the blueprint.
  • Fixed formatting and characters in the server browser. (Welcome back, apostrophes!)
  • Fixed a crash that happened when a client had music volume set to 0% and then reduced global volume below 10%.
  • Fixes for WheelFX, UGL smoke optimization, as well as mortar smoke, and smoke overdraw optimization.
  • Fixed Vehicle Smoke Canister (Curtain) FX visibility beyond 40 meters.
  • Fixed Vehicle Smoke Generator and Vehicle Smoke Canister creating an unintended suppression effect.
  • Improvements to the ability to push client updates without the need for servers to update.
  • Increased FTL spotted marker limit from 1 to 3.

 

We're still whittling away at the remaining issues, especially those with the SDK, AMD FX, and some Intel Xeon CPUs,  so we should have another update for you soon.

Thank you and stay safe out there, squaddies.

 

 

Is there a way of clearing cached data before loading the client?  The game will not get past the Squad loading screen for me, before I get a crash and error.  I had this at the launch of Beta 19, but it did load into the client on 1 occasion and clearing cached data seemed to resolve (though the server browser crashing was also around that point in time).

 

Presently for some reason, the game client will not load.  Checked file integrity and no issues.  PC is a relatively new and clean Windows 10 build, Squad was running nice and smooth, but now in the last 2-3 days, won't load.

 

*** Update - Resolved ***

Had to move the Squad files (and only Squad) to another drive in Steam.  Fortunately I have another drive, might not be the case for all if they encounter the issue. It may be a reinstall of Squad is required to resolve the original issue.  Root cause unknown...

 

Edited by vinviper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×