Sign in to follow this  
RB79BALL

prerequisite experience option for server admins

During the numerous free weekends and sales, we have seen too many noob players that cannot perform the most basic tasks during a round. I would suggest the game should hardcode a checksum for players whom have completed each aspect in the infantry training mission. If the player would like to fly a chopper, they should go through the entire helicopter training. With this implementation, some minimal expectation can be placed on a player and the bar is not hard to pass. 

Of course, this function can be disabled on the server side. What do you think?   

Ah yes, let's block the new players behind a mandatory-training-completion-wall. It will be soooo exciting to be forced to learn the basics of an FPS game like using your WASD keys to walk, pressing RMB to aim. Because obviously this basic-bitch crash course will prepare a new player to all the 'complicated' aspects of this game.

Or... you can let new players run around with their mouths open for 2 days. The ones that liked what they saw will buy Squad and learn however they may choose. The same way we learned how to play Squad before them.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Ufonius said:

Or... you can let new players run around with their mouths open for 2 days. The ones that liked what they saw will buy Squad and learn however they may choose. The same way we learned how to play Squad before them.

Or they don't know how to banadage others and die to bleeding...etc. and refunds Squad.

I've seen retards who had to ask how to change kits...

Edited by EcchiRevenge

Dont forget the player who spawns in main on Yehorivka, and starts walking to Petrivka

34 minutes ago, Jevski said:

Dont forget the player who spawns in main on Yehorivka, and starts walking to Petrivka

"I walked for 20 minutes and got shot from nowhere, now I have to walk another 20 minutes; REFUNDED!" - free weekend player

No. This toxic approach at gatekeeping will serve no one.

First things first. This is usually a completely made up accusation. Sounds more like somebody did not do "what you wanted them to do" or you got mad you lost a round. This can never be by gatekeeping. With a attitude like this, you are not just part of the problem. You are the problem. 

From what I see, I would like the player to know how to patch themselves and others up. 
How to start and shut the vic engine. 
How to load and unload supply and ammo. 

If they are not willing to go through the current basics and run into a round blind. I will just kick it out of my squad. If I need to teach the noobs these basics, what's the point for the tutorial even to exist? 

Posted (edited)

@RB79BALLWhile I do agree with you they should have learned the basics - i think you're asking the wrong question. In my mind the question should be IF I run into a new player who doesnt know the basics (which I almost certainly will) whats the +/- of me spending time in-game to give him a crash course?
To this question my answer would be it will likely make the public squad community seem more inviting to them which will in turn usually make them want to learn from 'veterans' and work together with others. In my mind, if you dont help them when they are new, they will either go away and do whatever they want because they dont know what else to do or actively work against the team since they will likely get insulted that someone wouldnt even bother to take a few minutes to help them.

Edited by Cadman

8 hours ago, RB79BALL said:

From what I see, I would like the player to know how to patch themselves and others up. 
How to start and shut the vic engine. 
How to load and unload supply and ammo. 

If they are not willing to go through the current basics and run into a round blind. I will just kick it out of my squad. If I need to teach the noobs these basics, what's the point for the tutorial even to exist? 

4 hours ago, Cadman said:

@RB79BALLWhile I do agree with you they should have learned the basics - i think you're asking the wrong question. In my mind the question should be IF I run into a new player who doesnt know the basics (which I almost certainly will) whats the +/- of me spending time in-game to give him a crash course?
To this question my answer would be it will likely make the public squad community seem more inviting to them which will in turn usually make them want to learn from 'veterans' and work together with others. In my mind, if you dont help them when they are new, they will either go away and do whatever they want because they dont know what else to do or actively work against the team since they will likely get insulted that someone wouldnt even bother to take a few minutes to help them.

Cadman´s answer is the right attitude towards the problem.

Be patient. Tech the new player whatever he doesn´t know, and that is relevant to that moment of the match. And then tell him very politely that it is imposible to go over all the basics during the match and that he should do the tutorial. Tell them that it is entertaining and not too long. And that is it.

Remember when you were new. Did you do the tutorial (did it even exist)? Did people kick you from their squad? Did people call you "noob"?

Cadman´s apporach is very healthy, for the game, for the community, and for human social relation. 

22 hours ago, Nightingale87 said:

Cadman´s answer is the right attitude towards the problem.

Be patient. Tech the new player whatever he doesn´t know, and that is relevant to that moment of the match. And then tell him very politely that it is imposible to go over all the basics during the match and that he should do the tutorial. Tell them that it is entertaining and not too long. And that is it.

Remember when you were new. Did you do the tutorial (did it even exist)? Did people kick you from their squad? Did people call you "noob"?

Cadman´s apporach is very healthy, for the game, for the community, and for human social relation. 

Unfortunately, I must disagree. Being patient as a squad leader is one thing. A player should bare part of the responsibility. Both Squad Leaders and Squad members should put in their effort to game. If Squad member is outsourcing their basic learning to the community, what should one expect them to "play" the game? Is investing half an hour to learn the basics in a tutorial is as an unbearable challenge? 

1 hour ago, RB79BALL said:

Is investing half an hour to learn the basics in a tutorial is as an unbearable challenge? 

I know what you mean and I understand the frustration when you have people like that in the team /squad.

But I would rephrase that question to try and appeal to your individual and personal patience:

Is taking a Deep breathe and investing 2 minutes (2 minutes!) in the round to teach that new player what the rules are or what the meta is like?

You don´t need to address all the mechanics to all the new players. Just educate new players one player at a time. And take courage and inspiration in the knowledge that there are people like CADMAN out there, helping new players as well. Feel a part of a bigger effort. Educate the new players one by one.