Cee

Performance in relation to supersampling settings

Hi. Current GPU is GTX-1080 with OC. Current settings can be found here if needed: https://imgur.com/a/uP51aWs. Max fps is set to 118.

My FPS (85fps in-game) is indistinguishable when playing on Super Sampling OFF - 1.75x, where 2.0x has very minor FPS drops if any. This may of course be different during intense GPU load such as particle spam. 

Why am I able to supersample so much without effecting FPS and is there anyway to increase FPS when not super-sampling.

Thanks

Super sampling off AA off 

fully loaded textures on 

depending on CPU with a 1080 85fps is good for squad and if you have a AMD cpu the UE4 doesn’t favour it very much 

21 hours ago, ZXD_Lee said:

Super sampling off AA off 

fully loaded textures on 

depending on CPU with a 1080 85fps is good for squad and if you have a AMD cpu the UE4 doesn’t favour it very much 

Is it really a thing that eaven the new Ryzen CPU´s peform performe worse then intell´s cpus in UE4?

48 minutes ago, MockingSniper said:

Is it really a thing that eaven the new Ryzen CPU´s peform performe worse then intell´s cpus in UE4?

No. The new ones are fine. It's just the older models especially the FX versions.

Posted (edited)
On 03/05/2020 at 7:22 AM, EcchiRevenge said:

CPU bottleneck.

type Stat Unit in console to see it

Unfortunately I think you're right. Didn't even account for that due to having a decent CPU. Didn't realise Squad was so CPU dependant until now.

Current CPU is I5-8600k. OC to 4.8GHz/core. Quad core.

Will have to look into a CPU upgrade or playing without FXAA/TAA. Thanks.

Edit: At 2.0x SS and TAA i'm instead getting under-utilisation and high FPS https://imgur.com/a/w28tB2i. I'm just going to put this down to uneven optimisations across maps and or faction LODs, since I was stuck at 65fps at 1.5x SS on a different server.

Edited by Cee

Posted (edited)

8600k will be more than enough but Ss eats frames 

Edited by ZXD_Lee

6 minutes ago, ZXD_Lee said:

8600k will be more than enough but Ss eats frames 

Yeah, that's the weird thing. SS upto 1.75x doesn't seem to effect FPS. I'll do some more testing with far larger data sets in the future. The first tests might easily have been skewed due to heavily degrading things like smoke grenades, vehicle particle effects etc.

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2020 at 5:37 AM, MockingSniper said:

That's not a thing unless application extensively use intel-only instruction set.  I don't think UE4 does that.

Ryzen 3xxx has been shitting on intel counterparts on IPC, with intel only managing to gain parity/slight edge due to overclocks.

2 hours ago, Cee said:

Unfortunately I think you're right. Didn't even account for that due to having a decent CPU. Didn't realise Squad was so CPU dependant until now.

Current CPU is I5-8600k. OC to 4.8GHz/core. Quad core.

Will have to look into a CPU upgrade or playing without FXAA/TAA. Thanks.

Edit: At 2.0x SS and TAA i'm instead getting under-utilisation and high FPS https://imgur.com/a/w28tB2i. I'm just going to put this down to uneven optimisations across maps and or faction LODs, since I was stuck at 65fps at 1.5x SS on a different server.

You should wait until B19 is out.  There's a line or two of changes on unreal 4.23 that's supposed to better-distribute CPU load(at least brought something out of game thread, which is currently the one that's bottlenecking).

Edited by EcchiRevenge