Sign in to follow this  
3S_Moe

Server Side Game Play Settings

Every now and then I log on to the forums to see what's up.  Every time I log on, I see all these complaints about game play.  Some think the game play is too arcadish because of the rally points and fob creations, etc. etc.  Others think if you make any adjustments to rally's, fob's, or when you can get a crewman kit, that it will make the game less accessible to new users.  This leads to my question...

WHY are there not more options on the server side to control came play so everyone can have what they want?  Why is there not a set of trumpifically beautiful options for filtering the type of server you want to play on?  Want hard-core, one-life-to-live, no rally point, limited number of fobs server, you can have that.  Want a newb friendly game with all the features turned on, you can have that.

It just don't understand why EVERY server has to have basically the same game-play minus the map rotation, game mode and what vehicles are available.  Can't we solve this madness by having more uniqueness among the servers?

12 hours ago, 3S_Moe said:

Every now and then I log on to the forums to see what's up.  Every time I log on, I see all these complaints about game play.  Some think the game play is too arcadish because of the rally points and fob creations, etc. etc.  Others think if you make any adjustments to rally's, fob's, or when you can get a crewman kit, that it will make the game less accessible to new users.  This leads to my question...

WHY are there not more options on the server side to control came play so everyone can have what they want?  Why is there not a set of trumpifically beautiful options for filtering the type of server you want to play on?  Want hard-core, one-life-to-live, no rally point, limited number of fobs server, you can have that.  Want a newb friendly game with all the features turned on, you can have that.

It just don't understand why EVERY server has to have basically the same game-play minus the map rotation, game mode and what vehicles are available.  Can't we solve this madness by having more uniqueness among the servers?

That is the million dollar question.

Some will tell you that it would alienate the community.... of course they fail to see that this way the community is already alienated...

Imagine trying to support that from a testing and software perspective. I don't OWI could which why white-listing should address your concern because the mod developers will support there own mods and the servers that run them. 

10 hours ago, budder8818 said:

Imagine trying to support that from a testing and software perspective. I don't OWI could which why white-listing should address your concern because the mod developers will support there own mods and the servers that run them. 

The testing is needed is mínimum.

Squad is a game that had the privilege to count among its resources one of the most experienced communities in its origins. Normally, games have to "develop" and "grow" their community. Squad had a VERY experienced and supportive community from the get go.

Of course, as time goes by, and new players join, the proportion of experienced players is reduced; even more if those experienced players are alienated by gameplay changes.

On the other hand, I have already given up on Vanilla. All my hopes are in modders coming up with a game I do want to play. Something "different". So , yes, support modders, that is all we have left. Modders will do it for "free", OWI won´t have to spend a cent, and different mods will keep people playing SQUAD, that is some good business..

15 hours ago, budder8818 said:

Yeah, I don't buy that.  I've done a tad of software development.  All we are talking here is the ability to turn on/off things within the game.  Turn on/off rally point creation.  Turn on/off fob creation.  Turn on/off how many fobs can be created.  Turn on/off when you can get a kit.  Turn on/off if you can spawn again.  That is not stuff that needs a ton of testing.  This is not re-designing the game, this is basically the activation or deactivation of elements in the game that people are complaining about.

5 hours ago, Nightingale87 said:

All my hopes are in modders coming up with a game I do want to play. Something "different". So , yes, support modders, that is all we have left.

If there is one thing I've learned about OWI, it is that they will respond to the communities desires.  Going the modding route is not the way to fix this.  The way to fix this is to have the community see the value and then rally together as one voice to ask OWI to build it in.  Once OWI hears how much the community wants it, it will start to bubble up on their road-map (assuming it's on there at all.)  You can't honestly tell me if this was (as an example) the #1 request of the entire community that OWI would just ignore it.

So my suggestion to anyone reading this...  If you come across a thread where the topic of changing game play to be easier or harder comes up, just reply how much server-side settings would fix the issue and how much you wish OWI would build it in.  The more people that offer this as a solution to a problem, the more OWI will hear the message that we want it.

8 minutes ago, 3S_Moe said:

If there is one thing I've learned about OWI, it is that they will respond to the communities desires.  Going the modding route is not the way to fix this.  The way to fix this is to have the community see the value and then rally together as one voice to ask OWI to build it in.  Once OWI hears how much the community wants it, it will start to bubble up on their road-map (assuming it's on there at all.)  You can't honestly tell me if this was (as an example) the #1 request of the entire community that OWI would just ignore it.

So my suggestion to anyone reading this...  If you come across a thread where the topic of changing game play to be easier or harder comes up, just reply how much server-side settings would fix the issue and how much you wish OWI would build it in.  The more people that offer this as a solution to a problem, the more OWI will hear the message that we want it.

Honestly this would solve a lot of balancing issues with maps. Kohat being an absolute TOW crap shoot is a prime example.

3 hours ago, 3S_Moe said:

I waited from v13 to v18 for them to remove buddy rally.

They had 3 surveys in which the feedback was never positive. The kept it going. So forgive me for not being optimistic.

On the other hand… server settings has been discussed before, this is not the first post. And still waiting...

I wish you were right but….I used to think that way about OWI. Until v13. They hired some new people….with ome "business oriented ideas"....and well… here we are...

1 hour ago, Nightingale87 said:

I waited from v13 to v18 for them to remove buddy rally.

They had 3 surveys in which the feedback was never positive. The kept it going. So forgive me for not being optimistic.

Sadly the Buddy Rally is the most prime example of why we needed server side options more than ever.  The community either loved or hated the buddy rally and the request was either to keep it or remove it.  I wish the community, instead of picking one side or the other, just said "why can't we have both and have it chosen on the server side?"  Then we ALL could have been happy.

1 hour ago, Nightingale87 said:

On the other hand… server settings has been discussed before, this is not the first post. And still waiting...

Yup, you are correct, and I've started threads on this topic multiple times over the years, and replied to topics with the same idea.  If we don't keep talking about it and pushing it as the alternative for all these stupid surveys asking if we should keep or get rid of something, then nothing will change.  They never would have done the survey for the buddy rallies if the community hadn't harped on it so long and so hard.  So while it did take 5 versions for them to listen to the majority, THEY DID LISTEN eventually.

OWI... I would challenge you with this:  The next time you are considering sending a survey out to gain feedback about a contentious aspect of the game, I literally DARE you to turn it into a server side option and let the community vote by way of which server they join the most.  NOTHING will highlight what features are loved/hated more than by seeing which servers people connect to with a feature enabled or disabled.  You could have done that so easily with the buddy rally issue.  You could have made it a super quick command line setting that admin's could turn on and off, and then the server admin's could have renamed their server to state if it was turned on or not.  I can promise you in a SINGLE weekend, you would have had your answer about how much the community liked or disliked buddy rallies.  This obviously was not the way server-side options should be implemented, as it deserves it's own GUI set of filters both on the client and server side, but as a quick dirty example it totally would have worked.

For others in the community that support this idea, how about some of you with some creative skills whip up some beautiful screenshots of what a client side filter would look like?  Nothing gets the point across better than an image showing just how beautiful it could look to have all these wonderful filter to pick from.  I would envision something like a drop down at the top that says "Game Type" with the options "Easy, Normal, Hardcore, Custom" on it.  As you select those, it would then change the individual filter options by selecting or deselecting boxes for things like buddy rally, fobs, number of fobs, crewman kit options, lives, etc.  This way, something like "Hardcore" would sort of be standardized to the most common settings, but you could always tweak it if you are looking for that Ultra Hardcore (one-life) server.

15 minutes ago, 3S_Moe said:

Sadly the Buddy Rally is the most prime example of why we needed server side options more than ever.  The community either loved or hated the buddy rally and the request was either to keep it or remove it.  I wish the community, instead of picking one side or the other, just said "why can't we have both and have it chosen on the server side?"  Then we ALL could have been happy.

I dont think anybody who knew the origins of this game supported buddy rally. Only new people that had just joined and were asked and said "yeah!, sure Why not". Not really knowing the implications of it.

And then they kept changing the questions adn interpreting the results in weird ways only to justify buddy rally being there. 

So, they want to make money. Nothing wring with that. Give us server settings and we can all play the game the way we want to. 

21 hours ago, Nightingale87 said:

Give us server settings and we can all play the game the way we want to. 

AMEN and AMEN!!!

I would love to see someone with some graphics skill whip up what a nice little filter screen could look like on the client side.  Sometimes people just need to see what it could look like before they will get behind it, so let's give them some visuals!

Community: asks for beautiful and simple solution such as more server settings.

OWI: implements 'Call for Medic'. 

On 14/04/2020 at 10:47 PM, Monk said:

Community: asks for beautiful and simple solution such as more server settings.

OWI: implements 'Call for Medic'. 

Only that it's not a very simple solution

6 hours ago, Ufonius said:

Only that it's not a very simple solution

Yeah, but his point was hilarious.  The call for medic is so stupid, and yet they took time implementing it.  It's only a good solution if it's a server-side setting to enable/disable (as I imagine newbies might like having it.)  I would have preferred they spent their time programming in server-side settings instead of wasting time on that "feature."

10 hours ago, 3S_Moe said:

Yeah, but his point was hilarious.  The call for medic is so stupid, and yet they took time implementing it.  It's only a good solution if it's a server-side setting to enable/disable (as I imagine newbies might like having it.)  I would have preferred they spent their time programming in server-side settings instead of wasting time on that "feature."

Last I checked, they impelemented the medic call as part of the Command Rose callouts. I am guessing they were trying to go PR/BF route for MUH IMMURSHUN. It's a stupid gimmick, hence they quickly removed most of it.

For all we know, they might have been working on server-side settings for a while now as it's not an easy change.

19 hours ago, Ufonius said:

For all we know, they might have been working on server-side settings for a while now as it's not an easy change.

I wish…. but I don´t think they are doing it. 

There are many big changes we knew were being worked on or are being worked on at the moment. And all the time OWI was keeping us updated on the coming changes.

In this one, as in many others, all they have ever done is drop by the threads discussing this and said "We are following this thread" kind of comment and that is it.

This is what they do with every thread that tries to push the game to a less comercial profile.

It's pretty likely we'll continue to optimize and get to a "baseline Squad experience." Which is where mods come in: folks like ProMod, Squad Ops, Advanced Vehicle Rework mod have all set out to make the game more configurable in the ways they need, including setting out to relight maps, adjust fog, and more in some cases.

We'll be working to make mods a little easier to access, as the server browser isn't ideal now. (It also has some bugs that should be resolved in the upcoming B19 patch.)

It's something we'll get back to more directly after B19 is out, but we'd like to get out of the way of letting people play how they want, so there should be some changes to the way whitelisting works as well. (We're still sorting out the details, but it's clear the system isn't the best right now.)

There's also some on-going work with the SDK, as well as the way we implement things in maps, to hopefully make life easier for people who do want to swap in some guns or what have you without going full-blown modding team. (which is cool! But not everyone wants to!)

But yeah, our focus is very much on getting b19 out right now.

On 21/4/2020 at 11:57 AM, Ufonius said:

Sooo….no...

As you see, they are not working on it, they havent been working on it.

Hopefully in the future. But it doesn´t look likely. 

On 13/4/2020 at 5:38 PM, 3S_Moe said:

We ask for server settings and the official answer is "look for mods". Fair enough. Some VERY interesting mods out there. Talented and devoted.

Posted (edited)
On 4/23/2020 at 8:17 AM, Gatzby said:

(which is cool! But not everyone wants to!)

But yeah, our focus is very much on getting b19 out right now.

I figured you guys were working on B19, I wasn't expecting you to go adding in server-side settings immeidately.  I just ask that you put this on the roadmap somewhere. 

For the record, the way I want to play Squad is with ZERO mods.  I DO NOT want to have to install mods to play the game.  I literally ignore your monthly Mod recaps that you guys post.  I want server-side settings that let ANY admin turn on/off basic features/elements of the game and then a beautiful server browser with filters that let me filter in on the types of servers running game styles I want, ALL MOD FREE!  Mods fracture/fork a game into an incoherent mess.  After all, that's how you guys came into existence, right?  Here we are playing Squad instead of Arma with a mod. Just think, someday we might be playing some other mil-sim game based on the work some modder did creating a mod for Squad!  LOL.  Oh the irony in that.

So anyway... please put server-side settings on the road-map, and please move that feature request up on the priority chain as I think it would resolve SOOOO many of the little nit-picky complaints on the forums here about game play.

Edited by 3S_Moe

6 hours ago, 3S_Moe said:

So anyway... please put server-side settings on the road-map, and please move that feature request up on the priority chain as I think it would resolve SOOOO many of the little nit-picky complaints on the forums here about game play.

Don´t bet all your money on that horse.

I advice you to lower your expectations in that regard and start getting ready to support mods. Don´t shut yourself to them because I´m pretty sure, sooner or later, the mod that is ideal for you will be produced.

Don´t miss that.