Sign in to follow this  
Atlan

Please (Read!) Helicopter use.

Posted (edited)

Hello and welcome to the tutorial on how to use Helicopters on the battlefield. This game was created to bring realism to the game, you can use real life tactics used by the real military to win matches, but let us put that aside and let me tell you how to use helicopters properly.

No matter how many hours you have, or how good you think you are at tactics, if you do not agree you are literally just (G)Arbage. When playing on a large map, and unable to push an offensive onto the next cap-point. or in a stalemate with the enemy team. or being pushed back, or in any situation really, YOU DO NOT USE HELICOPTERS FOR RESUPPLYING DEFENSIVE FOBS. 

The practice of using helicopters to resupply defensive fobs are so deadbeat, 
Helicopters are used in the real life military to supply offensive fobs in enemy lines, or behind them. It is used to setup new bases, flying in sandbags, and other material to build a forward base in enemy terrority.

This tactic applies to the game. Helicopters are not used to resupply fobs in defense, of of many logical answers to that is:

Defensive fobs are usually easier to get access to with vehicles, the chances of you getting killed before re-supplying a fob is not that high. Where if you need to drive long distances you are very close to danger. Here a helicopter is the best choice, if the player playing is good at flying a helicopter.

The (removed) server have a very incompetent and sorry ,(removed), with multiple people claiming the Sl roles with no experience, or any sane mind. I'm fed up with how the helicopters are not used properly, because people like to roleplay they're doing something important, and wont give up the helicopter role to re-supply fobs with the vehicles, and let someone else push a forward base with the helicopter.

Please. Learn from this guide, and become better at the game.

Thank you.

Added:
Another tactic that can be used, but is seen as bad, is you re-supply the defensive fobs with a helicopter 24/7, and then use your stationed logi trucks to get supplies from that defensive base, and push out, but this one is fairly dangerous too.  and let us be fair, no one that uses the tactic of re-supplying a defensive fob with a heli is thinking the resources could be used for pushing out with logi trucks.

They just don't know any better.
On that note, using a helicopter to make a forward base, or offensive base is always the best option.

There are many ways to avoid lats, hats, and other missile based weaponery, you can out manuever guided missiles with the heli, you can also fly far out on the sides, and you have a far enough range to spot any vehicles. You can also communicate with the scout cars, or scout squad, to scout ahead for any danger on the field, in form of vehicles.

Please Learn from this, and adapt, and adopt this new knowledge to your gameplay,.
I'm unable to understand how people are not smart enough to figure out very simple things, its basics The helicopter have very few supplies, its fast, and you can get in and out fast.

This makes the helicopter use specifically for building bases, behind enemy lines with the bare minimum a squad landing there would need to defend or push, and it can easily re-supply that new base. 

A logic truck is not as easy to get to where you want it, or get it out it have way too many supplies for what you need, since when the first push starts, someone else will most likely have been, or be pushing from a different direction when all the attention is on where the heli fob were built.

The logic truck is meant to re-supply defensive fobs, because this is where a lot of supplies are needed, not on offensive push fobs, they are used to gain a foothold, to spread attention.

A defensive fob will always be in game and fight more than an offensive fob, therefore more supplies are needed, the forward and offensive fob can be overthrown easily, therefore wasting logi trucks, and other things over supplying it will be a waste, and also more of a hassle in every possible way. 

Capiche? L2P
This message is meant for everyone, but more so the UF clan, if any of you see this, tell your admin to L2P and teach his clan members how to play before making a server that accepts scrubs. Without putting a disclaimer on it.

Another tip: If you ever spawn on an offensive fob and you have no ammo, reconsider your play style. You are definitely doing it wrong.
If you are defending a fob, make sure to stock up on ammo, when you run low, so if you die and you decide or the sl decide to push, you have ammo. If you are out in the field, and running low on ammo, maybe its a good idea to ask a rifleman for ammo, or consider going back to base. Maybe you used to many wasteful bullets on nothing. if this is not an option your SL is doing it wrong, do not follow him and go back and re-ammo.

The offensive/push fob's ammo will always be for those who are already fighthing, not you who just spawned and forgot to ammo up.

Moderator Edit : Removed Naming and shaming + Insults.

Edited by Dubs
Insults and naming and shaming.

12 hours ago, Atlan said:

No matter how many hours you have, or how good you think you are at tactics, if you do not agree you are literally just (G)Arbage

I stopped reading after this.

The Squad community has such a wide array of unpredictable and strong feelings.

I have edited your post, removed the naming and shaming and silly insult. If you're going to make a post, keep it respectable.

Shaming is required to get the reform not from OWI but the clans themselves. Most clans are out of this world insane, and not fit to actually run a server, they refuse to put disclaimers on their servers saying they accept new players, because they think they're good. But when you're actually on their servers, they don't take feedback, they think highly of themselves, while failing at everything the game offers them.

OWI have no idea how stupid their voice comm system is, nobody listens and especially when their the clan members of that server, even though OWi have clear rules, and the powers shouldn't be abused by the clan members, yet it is. And nothing is being done, or changed, they keep destroying the game with their dumb gameplay,

It goes against everything OWI promised, and taunted us with when they started this project, Realism, tactical warfare. 
The fact that OWI promoted this when they started out makes legal action possible against OWI. You're changing the game into some generic horrible shoot'em up genre, when what you promised us were realism.

Do your job OWI.
Fix the servers and clans behind them, get proper guidelines, and make server admins able to choose wether they want rally points enabled, etc on their servers.

32 minutes ago, Atlan said:

Shaming is required to get the reform not from OWI but the clans themselves. Most clans are out of this world insane, and not fit to actually run a server, they refuse to put disclaimers on their servers saying they accept new players, because they think they're good. But when you're actually on their servers, they don't take feedback, they think highly of themselves, while failing at everything the game offers them.

OWI have no idea how stupid their voice comm system is, nobody listens and especially when their the clan members of that server, even though OWi have clear rules, and the powers shouldn't be abused by the clan members, yet it is. And nothing is being done, or changed, they keep destroying the game with their dumb gameplay,

It goes against everything OWI promised, and taunted us with when they started this project, Realism, tactical warfare. 
The fact that OWI promoted this when they started out makes legal action possible against OWI. You're changing the game into some generic horrible shoot'em up genre, when what you promised us were realism.

Do your job OWI.
Fix the servers and clans behind them, get proper guidelines, and make server admins able to choose wether they want rally points enabled, etc on their servers.

There's always two sides to every story, and with every story you can never know the full truths, hence why it is not allowed on OWI's forums, discord etc All it ends in, is flaming and back forth arguments which is not wanted here. 

There's guidelines server hosters/admins accept when applying for a server licence, breaches of guidelines are dealt with appropriately. If you have valid proof of a specific server or admins breaking guidelines - Follow this link.

For future reference, if you're going to vent frustrations against others, might be best to think about your post, before posting it. Insults and negative posts will be locked/hidden.

Helicopters are like tanks right now. There isn't a lot you can do to take one out that is flying above your head apart from using an APC with enough gun elevation. If helicopters where less tankie people wouldn't dare to resupply a defensive FOB but right now it is a legitimate tactic.

19 hours ago, Atlan said:

NO offense, but I think that when you call something a "valid tactic", it is more like an intuitio you have had of what would work. Am I wrong? And please, don´t tell me how the real military uses them, I am interested in relevant game experience.

did you just say lets not resupply defend fobs with heli's?

alright ill do just that thank you ill watch and learn about the 200 iq play that resulted in my team without ammo at a defend point!

Its not a legitimate tactic, and it isn't valid.
Here is the reasons which I also I believe wrote in the first post.

Defensive fobs are usually more stable than pushing onwards. Therefore you can secure a logi truck easier when moving to a defensive fob. Its easier and is a cleve use of vehicle. 

The helicopter is fast, have nearly enough resources for a full squad, and a small base. It can be used to counter quick, in and out. Therefore it is supposed to be used for push fobs.

I can't emphasize enough that this is how you play, and any other way is not valid, and only holding the team back.
The helicopter can get to a location asap.

Not wasting time.
A logi truck will take time, and might be shot dead before anything, and infantry can take it out too.

The heli the fact that the heli is so robust means that its not needed or should be used for defensive fobs, it should be used for the push fobs.

Its not hard to put 2 and 2 together, this is logic.

Using a helicopter to re-supply any defensive fob when there is logi trucks in fight, and available is (STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Its not legitimate its not cool, or valid, or anything, it destroys the game, it makes the game harder than it is supposed to be. 

And Helis are way noisier than Trucks and can be seen from faraway if and where they are landing... if you try to build your FOB to close to the objective they will swarm you in no time even befor your FOB is operational... and if you build it to far out you wont build enought pressure with the zergmeta. With a Truck you can sneek a hidden Fob in there way better.

This game is all abut attaking from an unexpectet angle. Run`nGun, Lonewolfing, and sneekie/glitchie FOBs are all related to this.

if you think you have superior tactics, just join/build your own clan and smash all the other lowlights in a tournament... will be easy with all your insight.

15 hours ago, Titan84 said:

And Helis are way noisier than Trucks and can be seen from faraway if and where they are landing... if you try to build your FOB to close to the objective they will swarm you in no time even befor your FOB is operational... and if you build it to far out you wont build enought pressure with the zergmeta. With a Truck you can sneek a hidden Fob in there way better.

This game is all abut attaking from an unexpectet angle. Run`nGun, Lonewolfing, and sneekie/glitchie FOBs are all related to this.

if you think you have superior tactics, just join/build your own clan and smash all the other lowlights in a tournament... will be easy with all your insight.

That's the purpose, what is it that is not understood?
Heli's are for pushing fobs, they are equipped with what you need, and nothing more. And not less. This is very basic knowledge.

3 hours ago, Atlan said:

That's the purpose, what is it that is not understood?
Heli's are for pushing fobs, they are equipped with what you need, and nothing more. And not less. This is very basic knowledge.

He is saying that teh truck is much easier to inflitrare behind enmey than the chopper. Something that relly depends on how good the pilot is in my opinion.

If the pilot can fly really low and quickly, then taking a long flanking manouver will be as efficient, if not more than the truck. Still, non of this is a break through in Squad tactics.

3 hours ago, Nightingale87 said:

He is saying that teh truck is much easier to inflitrare behind enmey than the chopper. Something that relly depends on how good the pilot is in my opinion.

If the pilot can fly really low and quickly, then taking a long flanking manouver will be as efficient, if not more than the truck. Still, non of this is a break through in Squad tactics.

true.

Or if the Objective is not defendet at all (something not unheard of in Squad ¬¬) its a great idea to go in with a quick airdrop. But saying allways do this , never do that... disregarding all intel, well... bad play.

(disclaimer: i dont think that this gameplay is the best, but its the one we have)

On 2/4/2020 at 1:46 PM, Titan84 said:

I FULLY AGREE. Using heli to deploy FOBs is against any common sense as you make that FOB being spotted from Minute Zero.

Helis should be used for recon and transport troops behind enemy lines, and only during emergencies to setup last line FOBs when all the existing ones have been wiped. All the other cases are more on the abuse side than not.

21 minutes ago, Xeinar said:

I FULLY AGREE. Using heli to deploy FOBs is against any common sense as you make that FOB being spotted from Minute Zero.

Helis should be used for recon and transport troops behind enemy lines, and only during emergencies to setup last line FOBs when all the existing ones have been wiped. All the other cases are more on the abuse side than not.

Sadly, recon is not a useful tactics in the current gameplay. 

Everybody lnows where everybody is, and that is, piling bodies in the cap, which is by the way, just 30 mts around the enemy fob.

Doing anything different form that, is actually sub optimal tactics to win a round of Squad. Sad, but true.

Well, I got pretty good results from helis sents on recon mission to scout enemy fobs between flags, and also informing in advance of enemy heavy veichles inbound. So I still think that recon is a rock solid, underevaluated role for helis.

I read the whole thing, i get what you are saying. If a single squad running the defense has a guy in their squad running the chopper only for their squad. Thats why transport squads are made. In Project Reality we have trans squad. Here in squad you can fit more people on a chopper so get a trans squad of 3 guys. Pilot and gunner. Yes choppers are for getting up fast offensive FOBs. I thought this whole thing you typed would have mentioned the risky asset wasting methods of people landing big easy to hit choppers on objective. Another thing is not planning routes as pilots fly too close and in sight of things when they should be going far around. Then the way some people will use the chopper to gun things down up close, the machine guns should be used to suppress all the target zones at max range, just lighting up areas of cover and concealment to effect the enemy. I agree with this post except the one sided use of choppers for offense. Every FOB should have a low ground resupply landing place. Sometimes in Project Reality on Vietnam we have the choppers land in defilade but the tops are exposed to RPGs so i tell machine gunners when the chopper comes in to suppress the angles the chopper is exposed to.