Sign in to follow this  
GriffinMaximus

How should armoured vehicles be used?

Posted (edited)

I often hear Infantry complaining about their BTR,MBT etc. being not in the fight and not contributing to it.So i thought how should they be used?

Should they support the infantary,be behind enemy lines or be supported by the infantry and be the main unit(So they should be used as the Germans used their tanks in WW2)

Edited by Melbo
Removed advertising links

Theres a myriad of uses for armour of how to use and how not to. 

Generally as a rule if your supporting your team and working as an active squad you cant go wrong. No one is upset if your communicating and trying to work as a team.

It's the lone wolves that get armour destroyed that gives a bad name.

Tanks should be a reactionary thing until the other enemy armor is taken out, then there's a lot more breathing room.

APCs/IFVs should be with(ish) the infantry to give them some extra kick while the infantry is screening for the vehicles.

I completely disregard someone's opinion that thinks armor should be getting right into a town to get attention off the infantry. The thing gets tracked and all the sudden you've lost the vehicle entirely when it gets killed off with a HAT and now you're out a vehicle.

I just want the vehicles to be in close proximity to the infantry. There is some wiggle room for the tanks as they are a more independent type of vehicle. Warriors, Bulldogs, Strykers, and BTR-80s should all be with infantry. I dream of the day that they are no longer used as independent teams and are found native to the squad. I love to use APCs as an infantry squadleader. They give me the ability to directly push points. There is nothing better than watching your team on Al Basrah Invasion try to slog their way from fobs to ruins for twenty minutes straight only for my team to hot drop in a warrior right at the objective under a smoke plume. The risk of losing a cheap vehicle on an invasion layer is well worth the pay off of getting the cap with limited ticket loss. Generally, All the lighter APCs (Not the Bradley or BMPs) should steer clear of fighting other vehicles. They have the capability of doing so but they are much better served killing the heck out of infantry. The rule I use is that vehicles should only focus on killing things that are of a lesser class or equal to them. Leave the hunting of the vehicles to the MBTs and to an extent the heavy IFVs.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Geebus said:

I just want the vehicles to be in close proximity to the infantry.

Change the Rally so its not permanent (see mini-fob) and have one of the features of APC and INF working together be that when the SL places a Rally, if It is within 2x large map grid squares of an APC or IFV than it will remain operational and not disappear after 60 seconds as long as APC stays within those 2 grids near the Rally. This worked in PR nicely. And could be an easily explained feature through a manual, loading screen or boot camp scenario.

Edited by =CDN= Wehmann

Posted (edited)

I believe vehicles work best when they have a friendly squad within 200m of them so they can help deal with AT classes and protect someone if they need to repair. Some vehicle crews go off into the boonies to fight enemy armor and contribute nothing to the fight over the objective and it just gets them killed because they have no one to support them when a HAT runs 3km to finish them off after they were tracked and shot when one hopped out to repair.

Edited by TacMac

Great vehicle use requires patience.
Do not push at any time, stay behind your infantry, find a location where you have multiple exits, and find places you can support your infantry, and not get ambushed by enemy infantry.

A slow approach behind your infantry is great, without pushing. You should never be on the cap point with a vehicle, you can communicate with your infantry on the ground and ask them where they have trouble, maybe its a gunner somewhere, or a sniper. and lay down cover fire, or direct fire on the enemy. 

Do not use (G) use direct chat with the squad you are close to and if he doesn't communicate report him to the admins. 
Sometimes even shooting at buildings near a cap point or where there is no enemies will distract the enemy forces, and switch their target to you, instead of hte infantry, it also gives your infantry some leway. 

You can also use a vehicle to lure out enemy vehicles without ever engaging them, but let the infantry take it out, however again requires communication, and competent players.

Edited by Atlan